BMPT is not OP

Franz
Master Sergeant

BMPT is not OP

Postby Franz » Wed 8 May 2013 22:34

Although I only saw one topic about the beloved BMPT being OP, I see plenty of complaints in other topics.

Why do people think the BMPT is OP? The main gun only fires HE. 30mm has only 2 AP and the AGS-17 is nothing too insane either. The BMPT has no ATGMs, no heavy AP abilities and it is available in quite small numbers considering it only is useful against light armor, soft skinned vehicles and infantry. Some of the things it is most useful against can kill it very easily though too. It is great for killing infantry of course but it isn't invincible by any means. I killed 4 Tracked Rapiers, 8 squads of infantry and all of their carriers with 6 of these beasts. But, as I said, they aren't invincible. Except for 2 of them, all were slaughtered by a British MILAN team hiding in a forrest until I shelled it with mortars. It seems like these BMPTs had no opposition to speak of and this British unit got lucky. Not so. We were lucky they had no tanks. If there were any decent tanks, the BMPTs would have died even sooner.

The infantry that was killed was all in a small town too and had no ATGM support near the front with them. Recon with the BMPTs revealed the infantry at long range and the infantry had no long range defense against the BMPTs. They went past the town after the destruction they caused there but this is when the MILAN team killed 4 of them.

BMPTs are only useful under rather specific circumstances. They aren't general purpose like tanks at all. If a tank has AP at 15 or up, the BMPT is useless against it. NATO ATGMs are fine against it too since even the most available ones like the MILAN F1 can kill a BMPT from the front. BMPTs are close range vehicles for use against infantry, their carriers, trucks and other light vehicles.

BMPTs are only scary if you let them scare you.
Deutschland über alles

Boogie Van
Lieutenant General

Re: BMPT is not OP

Postby Boogie Van » Wed 8 May 2013 22:43

Send eight of them into a forest full of infantry with no other support.

praslovan
Major-General

Postby praslovan » Wed 8 May 2013 22:45

They stun tanks with GL. That is enough.

GL range should be around 600m. Kill AT inf and can protect itself in urban areas. That would be enough
Last edited by praslovan on Wed 8 May 2013 22:48, edited 2 times in total.

iwancoppa
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby iwancoppa » Wed 8 May 2013 22:45

Stop posting these.
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish." -Euripides
BM-30 SMERCH - unstoppable killer - please NERF
https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/

Franz
Master Sergeant

Postby Franz » Wed 8 May 2013 22:46

iwancoppa wrote:Stop posting these.

Don't read them.
Deutschland über alles

Guggy
General

Postby Guggy » Wed 8 May 2013 22:48

Its happening!

Uncle_Joe
Second-Lieutenant

Postby Uncle_Joe » Wed 8 May 2013 22:48

Boogie Van wrote:Send eight of them into a forest full of infantry with no other support.

Whether the BMPT is OP aside, you can send 12-16 T55s into a forest full of infantry with no support and probabably get similar results for same cost or cheaper.

Or drop 40-60 points worth of napalm into that forest full of infantry and wait a few mins for them all to die.

If an 'OP' unit's only claim to fame is that it clear infantry out of the woods effectively, I'm not impressed lol. So can many other things for cheaper.

If/when infantry can actually hold their own against anything else in the woods effectively then IMO it's time to see if the BMPT is too effective at clearing them but currently, that's not enough of a role to earn them a lot of attention IMO.
"Don't you know that in the Service one must always choose the lesser of two weevils?"

Hidden Gunman
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Hidden Gunman » Wed 8 May 2013 22:56

It's apparently OP because it has the GL from the BMP1D and the autocannon and gun from the BMP3...

As I use a mix of both of those when I can, I guess that makes me an uber monster :twisted:

That aside, if things are either going so well, or are so desperate, for me to roll on 440 points worth of BMPT to put in a forest, I think I'd prefer to roll in 440 points of air and/or helos and remove the forest entirely...
A Firefly killed Wittman...

It's a 17lbr, not a 76.2mm.

Jawehawk
Lieutenant

Postby Jawehawk » Wed 8 May 2013 23:00

Try to put 2 BMPT's in a forrest. There's not a single ground unit that can kill them effectively, and an air assault just isn't going to be viable most of the time. Infantry gets absolutely slaughtered, regardless how many they are. If the forrest is big enough, you could attempt to completely surround them. However, this relies on no other enemy unit being in the same forrest. vehicles, regardless of their armor, gets stun locked, and then killed. Strictly speaking, the only way you'll kill a BMPT, is if you have it in the open, are well over 1000 meters away from it, and are using a weapon with high AP value. And that's assuming there aren't any units supporting it, and most players aren't that dumb. Jets aren't likely to get close, and don't even bother with helicopters, as their lack of NoE flight makes them the laughing stock of the game. The BMPT is absolutely ridicules in terms of fire power and armor, and shouldn't even be in the game in the first place.

The BMPT can currently lock down narrow sectors, with next to nothing to stop them.

It never went into production (except a few prototypes), and even if it did, it has too much armor and firepower to be properly balanced, while still retaining realism. Eugen didn't put Tactical bombers in the game because there wouldn't be a way to properly balance them without making them unrealistic in terms of firepower. The same should be true for the BMPT.

Franz
Master Sergeant

Postby Franz » Wed 8 May 2013 23:06

Hidden Gunman wrote:It's apparently OP because it has the GL from the BMP1D and the autocannon and gun from the BMP3...

As I use a mix of both of those when I can, I guess that makes me an uber monster :twisted:

That aside, if things are either going so well, or are so desperate, for me to roll on 440 points worth of BMPT to put in a forest, I think I'd prefer to roll in 440 points of air and/or helos and remove the forest entirely...

Forests are the last place I send them actually. After the single MILAN team killed 4 out of the 6 of them, I use them just for shooting at the edge of a town or I have them lead the way into a sector where fighting starts fast, hoping to catch infantry early in getting set up and then kill them before the tanks arrive. Unless the tanks are pretty fast, this works well. Mortars and VDV are my favorite forest clearing "devices" :lol:
Deutschland über alles

Return to “Wargame : AirLand Battle”