Player levels need to be publicly visible in game lobbies

Misfit
Captain
Posts: 1615
Joined: Fri 20 Apr 2012 20:02
Contact:

Re: Player levels need to be publicly visible in game lobbie

Postby Misfit » Thu 16 May 2013 23:00

naizarak wrote:This is ridiculous. THE ENTIRE POINT OF LEVELS IS FOR OTHER PLAYERS TO GAUGE YOUR EXPERIENCE.


Why am I supposed to roll the dice every time I go into a lobby - why can't I know my team's skill level in advance and adjust accordingly. And regarding player kicking

a)if you're a noob in a high-level game you deserve to be kicked
b)if you're a high-level player in a noob lobby you deserve to be kicked

Ultimately it's up to the lobby hoster, and quite frankly they can kick you for a thousand other reasons anyways.


No need to rage/scream. Level doesnt show any skill. There where a lot of players who reset or edited their levels in W:EE. Just imagine how frustrating it was for other players if high levels chose to display a low level so they could smash newbies or actualy find a game to play.
Im glad levels are gone and hope it will never be displayed in lobbies again.
Perlen vor die Säue.

naizarak
Captain
Posts: 1626
Joined: Tue 25 Dec 2012 12:53
Contact:

Re: Player levels need to be publicly visible in game lobbie

Postby naizarak » Fri 17 May 2013 01:10

Misfit wrote:
naizarak wrote:This is ridiculous. THE ENTIRE POINT OF LEVELS IS FOR OTHER PLAYERS TO GAUGE YOUR EXPERIENCE.


Why am I supposed to roll the dice every time I go into a lobby - why can't I know my team's skill level in advance and adjust accordingly. And regarding player kicking

a)if you're a noob in a high-level game you deserve to be kicked
b)if you're a high-level player in a noob lobby you deserve to be kicked

Ultimately it's up to the lobby hoster, and quite frankly they can kick you for a thousand other reasons anyways.


No need to rage/scream. Level doesnt show any skill. There where a lot of players who reset or edited their levels in W:EE. Just imagine how frustrating it was for other players if high levels chose to display a low level so they could smash newbies or actualy find a game to play.
Im glad levels are gone and hope it will never be displayed in lobbies again.


So you think that just because a few people edited their levels, the entire system is now pointless? Well following that logic we should also disable in-game chat and friendly fire, because there's people who abuse those systems as well.


99% of the time, a lvl 100 player will be a hell of a lot better than a lvl1 player. When I go into a lobby I need to see who I'm playing against and determine if the lobby is right for me, or if I need to look at another one. I shouldn't have to be in game only to realize I'm playing with noobs that don't understand what CV's are and kamikaze all their jets.


The current rank system is plain stupid because most people don't bother playing ranked games, and even then, ranked games require a totally different approach than public lobbies.

Falcrack
Lieutenant
Posts: 1418
Joined: Sat 18 Feb 2012 21:10
Contact:

Re: Player levels need to be publicly visible in game lobbie

Postby Falcrack » Fri 17 May 2013 01:15

I usually look for the identical clan tags all on one side (usually the opposing side) to know that this particular game is best avoided. This says more than simply looking at the level. When my opponents are all buddies who are on teamspeak and coordinating their actions, and I am on a team full of randoms wth next to no communication, I usually know beforehand how it will turn out.

Misfit
Captain
Posts: 1615
Joined: Fri 20 Apr 2012 20:02
Contact:

Re: Player levels need to be publicly visible in game lobbie

Postby Misfit » Fri 17 May 2013 01:15

Ive got a rather simple fix for you: get some friends to play with, because "levels" mean jack .
Last edited by OpusTheFowl on Fri 17 May 2013 06:42, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Language

Misfit
Captain
Posts: 1615
Joined: Fri 20 Apr 2012 20:02
Contact:

Re: Player levels need to be publicly visible in game lobbie

Postby Misfit » Fri 17 May 2013 01:19

Falcrack wrote:I usually look for the identical clan tags all on one side (usually the opposing side) to know that this particular game is best avoided. This says more than simply looking at the level. When my opponents are all buddies who are on teamspeak and coordinating their actions, and I am on a team full of randoms wth next to no communication, I usually know beforehand how it will turn out.


I can tell you that most players that edited their levels also got their friends to use different teamtags. I have seen that done on a regular basis in W:EE.
Perlen vor die Säue.

User avatar
Torrisco
Colonel
Posts: 2665
Joined: Wed 28 Mar 2012 04:10
Contact:

Re: Player levels need to be publicly visible in game lobbie

Postby Torrisco » Fri 17 May 2013 01:30

naizarak wrote:This is ridiculous. THE ENTIRE POINT OF LEVELS IS FOR OTHER PLAYERS TO GAUGE YOUR EXPERIENCE.


Why am I supposed to roll the dice every time I go into a lobby - why can't I know my team's skill level in advance and adjust accordingly. And regarding player kicking

a)if you're a noob in a high-level game you deserve to be kicked
b)if you're a high-level player in a noob lobby you deserve to be kicked

Ultimately it's up to the lobby hoster, and quite frankly they can kick you for a thousand other reasons anyways.

Wrong idea. Because you are level 50 i.e. Doesn't mean that you can't be defeated by lvl 3 player, since all of us have the same units.
The level only says that you have played a lot nothing more.
In fact i have seen in WEE skilled low level players and lots of high level noobs
Image

User avatar
Coffee_Zombie
Chief Warrant Officer
Posts: 724
Joined: Mon 24 Oct 2011 23:35
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Contact:

Re: Player levels need to be publicly visible in game lobbie

Postby Coffee_Zombie » Fri 17 May 2013 02:05

Wrong idea. Because you are level 50 i.e. Doesn't mean that you can't be defeated by lvl 3 player, since all of us have the same units.
The level only says that you have played a lot nothing more.
In fact i have seen in WEE skilled low level players and lots of high level noobs


Seriously you actually think this?

To repeat myself People think that higher level players are better because on average people are better at high level. Anecdotal tales aside it is just a fact that on average a guy who has played 20 games will be smashed by a guy who has played 100. No real argument against that people get better the more they play (Messiahs and savants excluded of course).

What would make you think the gentleman/lady who has done something everyday for the pass 6 months would not be better at the activity then they person who has just put one week in? Is this ever reflected in any other part of reality?

naizarak
Captain
Posts: 1626
Joined: Tue 25 Dec 2012 12:53
Contact:

Re: Player levels need to be publicly visible in game lobbie

Postby naizarak » Fri 17 May 2013 04:22

Misfit wrote:Ive got a rather simple fix for you: get some friends to play with, because "levels" mean jack .


Yeah ok so the 95% of the player-base that plays in public lobbies now have to buddy-up for balanced games? LOL ok so why don't we just get rid of public lobbies altogether. You can only host private games and play with friends. :roll:

You still haven't put forward a single decent argument.

naizarak
Captain
Posts: 1626
Joined: Tue 25 Dec 2012 12:53
Contact:

Re: Player levels need to be publicly visible in game lobbie

Postby naizarak » Fri 17 May 2013 04:26

Torrisco wrote:Wrong idea. Because you are level 50 i.e. Doesn't mean that you can't be defeated by lvl 3 player, since all of us have the same units.
The level only says that you have played a lot nothing more.
In fact i have seen in WEE skilled low level players and lots of high level noobs


"The level only says that you have played a lot nothing more."


Well ok isn't that the definition of "experience". A player that's invested more time into the game is going to be better than someone who's brand new, aka a noob. That's exactly what levels indicate to others, the amount of time you've spent in the game. If you don't want levels then let's have an "hours played" counter for each player. It would essentially indicate the same thing.



And I've too seen skilled low-level players - they were usually high-level players that had their stats reset.
I've also seen high-leveled "noobs", but that's only because they were messing around and not playing seriously.



This is really unbelievable - so basically all you people are saying that experience doesn't matter anymore? :| :| That we have to treat lvl 1's like lvl 100's because "we all have the same units." What a joke. :lol:

Discohydra
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu 23 Feb 2012 21:46
Contact:

Re: Player levels need to be publicly visible in game lobbie

Postby Discohydra » Fri 17 May 2013 04:32

Your argument falls apart at Wargame:EE's implementation of command stars at the single player level. Level doesn't denote experience, because there's going to be single player. A player can play the single player without the level increasing, but still have command stars to get... let's say an Apache. Compare that to another level 1 player that just picked up the game and goes into the multiplayer head-first.

The former player is more experience, has better units, and even knows some more advanced tactics with the game, but is still level one.

The latter player has no experience, has the basic units that Eugen decides to start them out with, and knows nothing about the controls, and is level one.

Level shouldn't be visible, because it tells nothing about your opponent. ELO and ranking on the other hand, is meant to rank the players skill, and does well at it.

What you're looking for here is skill. Level isn't synonymous with skill or experience.

Return to “Wargame : AirLand Battle”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 28 guests