Player levels need to be publicly visible in game lobbies

Misfit
Captain
Posts: 1615
Joined: Fri 20 Apr 2012 20:02
Contact:

Re: Player levels need to be publicly visible in game lobbie

Postby Misfit » Fri 17 May 2013 04:39

naizarak wrote:
Misfit wrote:Ive got a rather simple fix for you: get some friends to play with, because "levels" mean jack .


Yeah ok so the 95% of the player-base that plays in public lobbies now have to buddy-up for balanced games? LOL ok so why don't we just get rid of public lobbies altogether. You can only host private games and play with friends. :roll:

You still haven't put forward a single decent argument.


Im not here to write whole essays, im just speaking from experience what a displayed level did in W:EE. If you are concerned that you may end up with players on your team, that dont hold up to your high standards, make some friends, or at least people you are comfortable to play with.
Perlen vor die Säue.

User avatar
Communazi
Sergeant Major
Posts: 269
Joined: Sat 3 Mar 2012 11:04
Contact:

Re: Player levels need to be publicly visible in game lobbie

Postby Communazi » Fri 17 May 2013 04:57

It's a double edged sword.

Player levels in a small(ish) community kills off any new players. Saw that happen in men of war, if it's going to take 40 minutes to get a game rolling I am just going to uninstall that crap and advise others against buying it.

# of games played is also a fairly terrible way to guage someone, as is victories. A lot of noobs have joined the game because of friends, thus join stacked teams and get wins disproportionate to their ability.

naizarak
Captain
Posts: 1626
Joined: Tue 25 Dec 2012 12:53
Contact:

Re: Player levels need to be publicly visible in game lobbie

Postby naizarak » Fri 17 May 2013 05:09

Discohydra wrote:Your argument falls apart at Wargame:EE's implementation of command stars at the single player level. Level doesn't denote experience, because there's going to be single player. A player can play the single player without the level increasing, but still have command stars to get... let's say an Apache. Compare that to another level 1 player that just picked up the game and goes into the multiplayer head-first.

The former player is more experience, has better units, and even knows some more advanced tactics with the game, but is still level one.

The latter player has no experience, has the basic units that Eugen decides to start them out with, and knows nothing about the controls, and is level one.

Level shouldn't be visible, because it tells nothing about your opponent. ELO and ranking on the other hand, is meant to rank the players skill, and does well at it.

What you're looking for here is skill. Level isn't synonymous with skill or experience.


Well that was WEE, this is ALB. With the way they're doing commands stars/levels now, I wouldn't be surprised if single player gameplay earns you experience as well. But even if it doesn't, it wouldn't matter, because the single player campaign is nothing like multiplayer. All it teaches players is the fundamentals of gameplay. The actual tactics and strategies are different. Besides, I don't think there's any players that are going to be grinding through the single player so many times that they would have earn a significant level from it anyways.

ELO is absolutely horrible at gauging anything. 1v1 ranked games were terrible in WEE and it looks like that's not gonna change here either. All I remember from WEE's ranked games and ELO was memorizing the best rush strategies for every map and turtling your way to a point-limited victory. Or just heli rushing your opponent.



I'm really not understanding what the dilemma is. Your level grows proportionally with the amount of time you spend in-game. That is the most basic definition of "experience." Look it up if you have your doubts.

User avatar
Coffee_Zombie
Chief Warrant Officer
Posts: 724
Joined: Mon 24 Oct 2011 23:35
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Contact:

Re: Player levels need to be publicly visible in game lobbie

Postby Coffee_Zombie » Fri 17 May 2013 05:24

I'm really not understanding what the dilemma is. Your level grows proportionally with the amount of time you spend in-game. That is the most basic definition of "experience." Look it up if you have your doubts.


+1

Just saying rep system:

http://www.wargame-ee.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=91&t=28785

Misfit
Captain
Posts: 1615
Joined: Fri 20 Apr 2012 20:02
Contact:

Re: Player levels need to be publicly visible in game lobbie

Postby Misfit » Fri 17 May 2013 05:50

How about you are becoming a high level, decide to take a break from the game and come back after several patches and game changes, like in W:EE.
You have no experience other than the basic game mechanics that everyone can learn in a few hours/days/weeks, but your high level suggests to everyone that you did nothing but playing the current metagame.

Your fixation on a displayed number is really flawed. Levels are just an indicator of a progression, every bad player could reach the level cap in W:EE given enough time.

There was a french guy in W:EE doing nothing but rushing from start and quitting after he had gotten as many killpoints as possible. He was probably one of the very first to reach the cap, but still he got beaten by some of my teammates that had noticeable lower level. And he did it with the only purpose to be a level 100 as fast as possible, probably believing that its some kind of achievement and something to be proud of.
Perlen vor die Säue.

jpsateles
Sergeant
Posts: 65
Joined: Tue 3 Apr 2012 22:06
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Contact:

Re: Player levels need to be publicly visible in game lobbie

Postby jpsateles » Fri 17 May 2013 06:36

Personally I found the level system in EE bad. It came up with some bad experiences on multiplayer just because of that. I don't play everyday, but I played it for a long time, so overtime I managed to get to a higher level without becoming a master of the craft. What happened is that I was not accepted on lower level games and got overwhelmed on high level ones. I just want to turn on Steam and have some fun for a couple of hours, Its not a Starcraft competition where you have to be separated in tiers.

Besides, I find it more entertaining to get into the battlefield not knowing what I'll find. It makes up for a more complete and enjoyable experience. At least for me.

cphoenix
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 343
Joined: Thu 22 Nov 2012 01:06
Contact:

Re: Player levels need to be publicly visible in game lobbie

Postby cphoenix » Fri 17 May 2013 07:34

Although it can be really rotten to find yourself on a team that either is full of arty spammers ( *sigh* ) or with people who don't communicate at all, nor at the very least show a modicum of tactical acumen (worse still when they don't ask questions; then again I doubt many are like me and willing to answer if they'd just ask)...yes, going into things quasi-blind makes for a more interesting experience.

I just wish I could give arty spammers a slap across the face. For many reasons.
AirLand Battle Strategy Guide

1. Have a CAP.
2. Always have a CAP.
3. If you don't have a CAP, get a CAP.

User avatar
Fri13
Lieutenant
Posts: 1023
Joined: Thu 22 Mar 2012 14:22

Re: Player levels need to be publicly visible in game lobbie

Postby Fri13 » Fri 17 May 2013 08:25

naizarak wrote:Don't think I need to explain this one. Why was it even removed in the first place?


Yes, you don't need to explain why you want to be elitist as it came very clear.

User avatar
Grabbed_by_the_Spets
General
Posts: 6605
Joined: Fri 16 Mar 2012 11:40
Contact:

Re: Player levels need to be publicly visible in game lobbie

Postby Grabbed_by_the_Spets » Fri 17 May 2013 09:18

PLEASE NO, this was a huge gripe in EE and cause all sorts of unnecessary complications.

For example:

You'd join a game of 3 v 3 with one slot free, then a level 20 joins and some snobby level 100 refuses to play with such a "low level noob" Kicks him, starts deliberately stacking teams in his favor, and starts a huge flamewar in the chat.

Soon you're left in lobby, waiting for a valid game to join cause mr "Professional" only wants to play with level 50's and over, and the poor urchin that got kicked only want level under 20's in his game cause everyone else treats him like garbage. Leaving your level 40 arse looking at 6 servers he can't freaking join, just waiting for a god dammed game to play!

This happened almost every dammed session where I just wanted to hop into the game, and play a dammed match!
Image

User avatar
[EUG]MadMat
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!
Posts: 15426
Joined: Thu 30 Jun 2011 13:31
Location: Paris, France.
Contact:

Re: Player levels need to be publicly visible in game lobbie

Postby [EUG]MadMat » Fri 17 May 2013 09:45

naizarak wrote:Don't think I need to explain this one. Why was it even removed in the first place?

Because some people considered it a justification to kick repeatedly people out of games.

Return to “Wargame : AirLand Battle”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests

cron