Player levels need to be publicly visible in game lobbies

User avatar
Leviathan
Chief Warrant Officer
Posts: 735
Joined: Mon 13 Feb 2012 15:11
Location: steeelth enabled
Contact:

Re: Player levels need to be publicly visible in game lobbie

Postby Leviathan » Fri 17 May 2013 13:57

Player levels didn't mean nothing, mean nothing and will never ever mean nothing. They were taken out for a reason.

Player skill is NOT correlating with player level. Silly idea that is.

Image
Last edited by Leviathan on Fri 17 May 2013 14:07, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
SusScrofa
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat 29 Dec 2012 16:36
Contact:

Re: Player levels need to be publicly visible in game lobbie

Postby SusScrofa » Fri 17 May 2013 14:00

Ive proposed an elegant solution before. Here it tis again.

Allow individual players to rate other players (1 to 5 stars). This rating would only be visible to the player who made the rating. So at anytime (in a lobby, in chat, in account searches etc) you could simply right click on a players name and give that account a rating.

This way we could filter who we associate with and who we play with/against. Much like real life.

Add a function to also mute account, and the whole spammer issue is solved as well.

Clean, simple, elegant.
aka Gora Sahib

User avatar
nutegunray
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 330
Joined: Tue 21 Feb 2012 23:27
Location: New York
Contact:

Re: Player levels need to be publicly visible in game lobbie

Postby nutegunray » Fri 17 May 2013 14:28

SusScrofa wrote:Ive proposed an elegant solution before. Here it tis again.

Allow individual players to rate other players (1 to 5 stars). This rating would only be visible to the player who made the rating. So at anytime (in a lobby, in chat, in account searches etc) you could simply right click on a players name and give that account a rating.

This way we could filter who we associate with and who we play with/against. Much like real life.

Add a function to also mute account, and the whole spammer issue is solved as well.

Clean, simple, elegant.


I like the mute function but the rating would be an utter failure... Some ppl would rate others lowly, just because, others may do so because they lost the game and blamed them(despite fact that they themselves did nothing to help, while that guy gets rolled by 2 ppl). If we lived in a utopia it'd work... but we live in a dirty reality...

Seeigel
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun 1 Jul 2012 20:30
Contact:

Re: Player levels need to be publicly visible in game lobbie

Postby Seeigel » Fri 17 May 2013 14:54

nutegunray wrote:I like the mute function but the rating would be an utter failure... Some ppl would rate others lowly, just because, others may do so because they lost the game and blamed them(despite fact that they themselves did nothing to help, while that guy gets rolled by 2 ppl). If we lived in a utopia it'd work... but we live in a dirty reality...


As I understand his sugestion the rating is only visible to yourself (the one who rated) and to no one else. Just like you would write every player down on a piece of paper for yourself to know how they behaved in a battle you did with them.

Bryan
General
Posts: 5993
Joined: Mon 7 Jan 2013 07:16
Contact:

Re: Player levels need to be publicly visible in game lobbie

Postby Bryan » Fri 17 May 2013 15:33

nutegunray wrote:If you don't wanna play with NooBz, then get some friends to play with you... I rarely play with randoms, so when I got a buddy online we do 3v3, with one slot reserved on our team for a random, if they are good, great, if they are noobs, we try to educate them... however the latter seems to be problematic ans they chose to ignore all, even basic advice... but still...

Plus ELO score is totally out of whack, since 90% of ranked games are 1v1 or 2v2 at best it only shows how lucky or good they may be at avoiding early spam, or executing it themselves... I noticed that people who ahve higher ELO rating (a minority but more than complete randoms) tend to try to do all kinds of ninja on 3v3 and 4v4's with rangers in the back and silly stuff like that... which fails and just shows you how the ranked games have different game-style over regular 3v3 and up games.

I have skype friends and TS friends, however even so we want ppl that has some experience and not 'I just git the game' ppl. And having friends online is a luxury because they might not always be on.

User avatar
SusScrofa
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat 29 Dec 2012 16:36
Contact:

Re: Player levels need to be publicly visible in game lobbie

Postby SusScrofa » Fri 17 May 2013 15:45

Seeigel wrote:
nutegunray wrote:I like the mute function but the rating would be an utter failure... Some ppl would rate others lowly, just because, others may do so because they lost the game and blamed them(despite fact that they themselves did nothing to help, while that guy gets rolled by 2 ppl). If we lived in a utopia it'd work... but we live in a dirty reality...


As I understand his sugestion the rating is only visible to yourself (the one who rated) and to no one else. Just like you would write every player down on a piece of paper for yourself to know how they behaved in a battle you did with them.


Exactly. This would be a rating that only the player making the rating can see. Just as in everyday life, we keep tabs on people we learn to avoid, this system would empower players to choose who they associate with in game.

Play with a jackass. Mark them 1 star, and you and only you will be able to see them rated with that one star.
aka Gora Sahib

Goldensniper
First Sergeant
Posts: 218
Joined: Tue 8 Jan 2013 09:55
Contact:

Re: Player levels need to be publicly visible in game lobbie

Postby Goldensniper » Fri 17 May 2013 15:52

I havent read the full topic because of the 5 pages. But I agree with the Creator.


Leviathan wrote:Player levels didn't mean nothing, mean nothing and will never ever mean nothing. They were taken out for a reason.

Player skill is NOT correlating with player level. Silly idea that is.

Image



Saying the level mean nothing it is bull.. IT means a lot. It shows the EXPERIENCE of the player, this is not about skill but Experience. You learn the game mechanic and gameplay with your experience. It doesnt mean you get good.
When you're Level 1 and discovering the game, it is Nice to play against players that are in the same case as you!
Maybe the leveling system should be changed ( a player 1 playuing with a player 100 wins way too much experience) but that is another topic.
I hosted a lot of games and each I was asking players to balance the teams following the levels. And a lot of those games were Good games: small amounts of leaves, returning situations, balance result ( lot of draw).

What is the fun to play against people who has a bigger experience than you ?
What is the challenge to play against Noobs.

I got the game very late ( Dec 2012) and thanks to the leveling system, I was able to enjoy the game with and against players like me.
The levels display should definitevly come back.

There is the 'leavers' problem who ruins a lot of games. Hiding player level will just make it worse..

If you say the level does mean nothing, it means that you never player 4v4 full random..
Last edited by OpusTheFowl on Sat 18 May 2013 05:20, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Language

User avatar
GfmHellmann
Sergeant
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri 24 Feb 2012 20:51
Location: Bad old Germany
Contact:

Re: Player levels need to be publicly visible in game lobbie

Postby GfmHellmann » Fri 17 May 2013 15:55

I don`t think that visible player "levels" bear anything usefull to the community, it`s rather contra-productive tbh so no...not needed at all.

Goldensniper
First Sergeant
Posts: 218
Joined: Tue 8 Jan 2013 09:55
Contact:

Re: Player levels need to be publicly visible in game lobbie

Postby Goldensniper » Fri 17 May 2013 15:58

GfmHellmann wrote:I don`t think that visible player "levels" bear anything usefull to the community, it`s rather contra-productive tbh so no...not needed at all.


Why ?

Do you think that level 80 & 60 VS 30 & 40 ( yes it happens a lot especially that people play with their friend) is not contra-productive ?

This game is complicated and playing against players that has a lot more experience is just frustrating and push throw the game by the window.

Zhein
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu 16 May 2013 15:41
Contact:

Re: Player levels need to be publicly visible in game lobbie

Postby Zhein » Fri 17 May 2013 16:01

Goldensniper wrote:I havent read the full topic because of the 5 pages. But I agree with the Creator.

Saying the level mean nothing it is bull.. IT means a lot. It shows the EXPERIENCE of the player, thios is not about skill but Experience.


And again, it's wrong. It's just a sad elitist point of view, and it's a wrong one. Past the 15 first games, you have the basics and the view of the current meta game. You don't need 200 games to get the grasp of how ATGM works.

The rest is just elitist bull. I've seen as much "high number of games" crap player as "low level noobs", in any game. How many players with 5 thousand or more games in league of legends that don't even have the basic of last hit ? How many players with tier 10 heavies E-100 that don't even know how to angle their tank ? How many player with 100 games in WAB that will throw a deck without AA and only arty because he's a "support player" ?

It's exactly the same. Oh, and btw, don't even start saying that you are not a noob or anything, 99% of the player base of any game (and yes, that includes me) are completely clueless most of the time and are probably very bad players.
Last edited by OpusTheFowl on Sat 18 May 2013 05:21, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Language

Return to “Wargame : AirLand Battle”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests