Player levels need to be publicly visible in game lobbies

Vasily Krysov
Colonel

Re: Player levels need to be publicly visible in game lobbie

Postby Vasily Krysov » Mon 22 Jul 2013 17:25

Showing levels is a terrible idea for the same reason it was terrible in WEE. Idiot players will see it as some measure of skill when it is really just a measure of "has played game for x amount of time". It is frustrating to good players who are low level that get kicked for no real reason other than an arbitrary number that is given to them and bad for the integration of new players who are wanting to play the game but are faced with crap hosts.

maxp779
First Sergeant

Postby maxp779 » Mon 22 Jul 2013 18:16

Why is this 8 pages long when the second post basically nailed it...

Terribad idea, it will hurt the community to show levels, its what killed W:EE's multiplayer. Also even if the host is nice and dosent kick anyone, players will just leave if they see their team consists of two low levels, good luck getting the perfect matchup in that scenario!

Keinutnai
Lieutenant

Postby Keinutnai » Mon 22 Jul 2013 18:32

nutegunray wrote:Because it indicated no player skill whatsoever, and would result in new players being kicked (to them seemingly arbitrarily) and getting fed up because nobody would tell them why they r being kicked.

In W:EE we have this problem, if you have a high level sometimes it can take forever to get a game, cause people will "fear" you. Or newbies getting kicked.

I been in many games where level 20's and 30's beat the Jesus out of level 70's and 80's. Levels indicate no skill and I like they removed it.

But it is the best measure of time played and 20 level players are in most cases better than level 1 players.

When I play a game I dont want to play against people who are new because they have absolutely no chance of winning and a battle which is too easy is boring.

Same way a new player rather plays with equally strong players than against much stronger ones which high level players often happen to be.

Also if we see the levels we can balance teams on both sides so that the levels are similiar. Because a game were levels are unequal the wider the gap in levels the more difficult it will be for the low level team. And exceptions are simply a proof to this rule.
Wargame 4 - Balkan at War - New Countries: Italy, Spain, Greece & Turkey versus Yugoslavia, Bulgaria, Hungary & Romania!

tarasbulba
Sergeant First-Class

Postby tarasbulba » Mon 22 Jul 2013 18:45

While player level is definitely not an indicator of skill, it is an indicator of experience. Eugen made a decision not to show it, and I suspect that it was more of strategic business choice to make sure new players are not aggravated and stick around. And yes, it could be annoying to be on a team with new players. However, ultimately its only a game, if you get stuck in a match that you are not enjoying you can leave.

It could be interesting if there is a check mark in the lobby to indicated that a person has passed say a basic tutorial and had more then 10 games. (of course the tutorial needs to be much better, but that is another thread). Basically, a player needs to know these 3 basic things not to be a complete liability.

1. Know how to use flares.
2. Know how to use MOVE FAST.
3. Know how to hide a vehicle (CV especially), and know when its hidden.

Compass
First Sergeant

Postby Compass » Mon 22 Jul 2013 18:48

An alternative would be to make Unranked games show Unranked Ranks based on level, and Ranked Games show Ranked Ribbons.

I don't know what the numbers are for Ranked, but make it like this for Unranked.

Level 1-9 = Rank 1
Level 10-19 = Rank 2
Level 20-29 = Rank 3

I don't know how many ranks there are, but spreading too thin like 1-5 would make a Level 15 like me seem really good, and I'm the same player as I was at Level 14.

tarasbulba
Sergeant First-Class

Postby tarasbulba » Mon 22 Jul 2013 18:51

Hade3 wrote:Why don't you just play the game, lose when you lose or win when you win ?

W:ALB is one those rare game that is as fun in winning as it is in losing and so was W:EE

If you go only for a win when playing pub games, you'll be very disapointed. Playing with a random in a 2v2 ranked though isn't a good idea.

Not sure you would be having Fun in an 4v4 game, when 2 of the 4 people on your team dont know what the CV is used for.

Return to “Wargame : AirLand Battle”