How accessible is it ... really?

Merkinz
Private

How accessible is it ... really?

Postby Merkinz » Sat 18 May 2013 03:28

Hey all,

I noticed the following on the steam page:
"Richer, more beautiful and more accessible, Wargame AirLand Battle is the sequel to the explosive real-time strategy game Wargame European Escalation!"

I'm just curious as to how the game has been made more accessible compared to EE? I loved EE but never got far with it because I just found it impenetrable even after watching 1h+ of youtube tutorials.

Thanks

cphoenix
Command Sergeant Major

Re: How accessible is it ... really?

Postby cphoenix » Sat 18 May 2013 09:08

It's...not really. I think we'll only know if it's accessible or not when the tutorials are in. As it is though it still requires vastly different tactics and mindset than typical RTS', which means a lot of players will have an uphill battle to...well frankly, not suck. I hope they tutorialize some basic tactics, not just controls. Like, ya know, combined arms, the fact that spamming artillery probably won't get you much of anywhere...simple stuff. :?
AirLand Battle Strategy Guide

1. Have a CAP.
2. Always have a CAP.
3. If you don't have a CAP, get a CAP.

Graphic
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Graphic » Sat 18 May 2013 09:11

cphoenix wrote:It's...not really.

I disagree.

The in-game interface is more intuitive, the deck creation system is vastly improved, the gameplay itself is more accessible because it's not about camping, then playing artillery tag with scout vehicles. Mistakes are less punishing to your ability to maintain a presence on the field (but just as punishing to your score), etc.
k

Coffee_Zombie
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Coffee_Zombie » Sat 18 May 2013 09:30

I found the original fairly easy to pick up and the same is true with this one. It is not as fast paced as some but it still has a good flow and does allow tactics rather then micro to be a game winner. Just stick with it buddy and you will find it a rewarding experience.

Kreved
Warrant Officer

Postby Kreved » Sat 18 May 2013 11:12

We can't say if it's more accessible or not until full game is released. There could be some pretty neat tutorials in campaign you know. They could make it just enough accessible.

upd: in fact, there is "tutorial" button now in Solo menu.

KeyLord
Command Sergeant Major

Postby KeyLord » Sat 18 May 2013 12:17

The game is easy to pick up. Everything kind of makes sense, as it is based on a simulation (With some concessions obviously)

However, it's DAMN HARD to master. There are many tactics you can use and many strategies... all of them come with their own difficulties. I am having a hard time getting better at the game when many others have had a lot of experience in EE (I played some EE but never really got into it)

The best way to get good at the game is to play it, and just learn what is effective. The better players have a good knowledge of the units they use and can maximise their effectiveness. There is a lot to learn. It's a great game though so keep at it- I still lose most games but I am slowly getting better. My single tip though: don't use an "arty only" or "Air only" deck- They are the easiest way to drag your team down.

D-M

Postby D-M » Sat 18 May 2013 12:47

Many AI and UI improvements were made to make the players do less "babysit" (as many said...) so yeah, it is.

mvp7
Master Sergeant

Postby mvp7 » Sat 18 May 2013 13:26

I never liked EE that much because the small number of units forced you to lot of microing with an engine that wasn't really good for it and even smallish losses were often irreplaceable and decisive.

ALB in my experience is much more forgiving as you have plenty of reinforcement points to throw around and the exact placement of couple units doesn't usually play that big part in the outcome of battle.

When compared to any game of somewhat similar scale and detail (Combat mission and Achtung Panzer series for example) ALB is very easily accessible.

Hidden Gunman
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Hidden Gunman » Sat 18 May 2013 15:01

I probably spend more time in chat explaining stuff than I actually game lately...there's a few things that could go into a 'what you need to know - basics' somewhere considering most people won't do the tutorial unless they are forced to.
A Firefly killed Wittman...

It's a 17lbr, not a 76.2mm.

OmikronAnubis
Sergeant

Postby OmikronAnubis » Sat 18 May 2013 16:28

Thats the reason i do my "how to"-videos actually.
You may ignore the infantry-tutorial i have to redo this later, but i guess the tanks-basic-tutorial is fine so far

viewtopic.php?f=91&t=28772

I try to show people whats going on in this game and if you want to know special things you just can look for seperate information. Or let's say, i at least try to do so. :roll:

Advanced tactics will be shown later also. I'm pretty sure everyone can figure out how to use move the camera around, and what the mouse is... and which mousebutton does what...

Return to “Wargame : AirLand Battle”