“Sandbox” map request

Knight_gambit
Corporal

“Sandbox” map request

Postby Knight_gambit » Sat 18 May 2013 14:00

Having played a lot with the currently provided maps, I hope that there will be a different map type available:

Current maps are nice, featuring the Scandinavian landscape and all…however, after a while- because of various chokepoints and also because of large amount of units and money to spend – the action on the maps becomes quite repetitive and rather only the huge amount of different units to explore (including jets) contributes to the replay value of the game.

Therefore, in case replay value is considered something to strive for, I suggest to have at least ONE map (e.g. call it Jutland) with the following features:

Extra large so that typical front-lines are difficult/unadvised to maintain

No channeling of the action by impassable terrain or an abundance of hills - with limited access via slopes - that cannot circumnavigated.

Large amount of cap zones but with limited money supply each and delivering very similar point outputs (which should prevent identical fighting sequences for always the same cap zones)

More woods, hedgerows so that together with the limited replaceability of units micromanagement becomes more important again.

The gameplay resulting from this should be quite diverse, fostering battle group action, importance of recce, more player interaction and more use of mobile infantry combat raiding enemy CVs, which will support the Scandinavian theme of the game.
Since gameplay will also slow down a bit and matches might take quite long it is foreseeable that this kind of map is not everybody’s cup of tea, however, it will keep players who like this kind of gameplay forever hooked since there are more ways to win the battle.

chestus
Sergeant First-Class

Re: “Sandbox” map request

Postby chestus » Sat 18 May 2013 14:53

+1

i like playing with inf better anyway then all these tank's
Videre Vincere Est

ALTHOUGH I FLY THROUGH THE VALLEY OF DEATH I HAVE NO FEAR AS I AM AT 5000 FEET AND CLIMBING

JosephPorta
Corporal

Postby JosephPorta » Sat 18 May 2013 15:23

+1 There's too many points on the ALB maps, compared to EE, were you figth with less units and care much more for them...

contrail
Sergeant Major

Postby contrail » Sat 18 May 2013 16:13

I'm all for big maps that give recon helis more than a few seconds flying time before they spot the enemy, and airborne infantry that actually gets to a location long before any ground based vehicle can get there - or where a convoy of vehicles will have to actually stop to refuel en route to their destination.
Gonna try 5v5 on Ragnarok later to see if that map is approaching the kind of size I would like.

OmikronAnubis
Sergeant

Postby OmikronAnubis » Sat 18 May 2013 16:21

+1 Huge maps are a great idea and i love maps, they cant be big enough to be honest...

But these maps need something also: randomply placed fobs or +100% availableness for playerowned FOB's and supplyunits. Big maps tend to eat supplies. :roll:
Otherwise your units will run out of ammo/fuel/whatever quit fast :roll:

Knight_gambit
Corporal

Postby Knight_gambit » Sat 18 May 2013 16:37

Gonna try 5v5 on Ragnarok later to see if that map is approaching the kind of size I would like.[/quote]

The map has the right size but because of the channeling there is not much difference in each game.
It doesn't make that much of a difference whether it is 10v10 or 5v5 because of the insane money supply.

I think Eugen tries to appeal to a broader player base who like arcade stuff better so that I am lobbying for at least a few maps where gameplay is similar to EE and can surprise the players even after 2 weeks of playing time.

With less units to space players have to think more, also distances are important for supply decisions and results are not immediate because of a time factor - all things that distinguished the EE game from the usual Tower building exercise a la RUSE.

DiabloTigerSix
Colonel

Postby DiabloTigerSix » Sat 18 May 2013 16:49

The maps are the biggest problem of W:ALB. There's just no replay value. Just predictable and repetitive spam wars every time you play. And their edges are way too close to objective zones = IMMERSION BRAKING.
Last edited by DiabloTigerSix on Sat 18 May 2013 21:38, edited 1 time in total.

KeyLord
Command Sergeant Major

Postby KeyLord » Sat 18 May 2013 17:44

Yes I will have to agree that ragnarok is way too spammy. A map that is 4x the size of gavle and with similar sorts of terrain would be pretty amazing.

rednotdead
Corporal

Postby rednotdead » Sun 19 May 2013 03:19

Yes to huge maps. As it is, EE has ALB completely beat in this regard.

orcbuster
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby orcbuster » Sun 19 May 2013 03:26

lol, would be typical if the danish map centered around the one mountaiiiiI mean hill in denmark. Himmelbjerget (147m above sealevel, means skyrock)
Viker for ingen!

Return to “Wargame : AirLand Battle”