US infantry now sucks almost as bad as in EE.

Graphic
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

US infantry now sucks almost as bad as in EE.

Postby Graphic » Mon 20 May 2013 16:18

In a way, even worse because Deltas aren't the best all-round SF.

Reworded now that I'm not enraged anymore:

Basically, all US infantry got accuracy nerfs on their main weapons this patch. All are 7 now except 8 for Rangers and 9 for Delta.

Apparently it was done because now the M60 is the only NATO LMG with more than 875m range. First of all, I don't understand why LMGs needed to be rebalanced like this, and I don't understand what makes the M60 so special. But that doesn't explain the whole picture, because even the US infantry without the now special M60 got their accuracy nerfed too: Light Riflemen with their M240, Deltas with their Stoner, Rangers who have no LMG.

The problem isn't that an individual US infantry unit is mediocre or weak compared to most others in it's category. The problem is that they pretty much all are, now. There's now very little incentive to take US infantry into your mixed NATO deck unless you really really like LAVs and value the extra M60 range (I don't, make it 875m too if you ask me).

• Except for the LMG range and their numbers, US Marines are worse than all other NATO shock troops. They have 15 men, but in case you were thinking that was justification: they're also significantly worse than the 15 man marine units Morskaya Pehota and Niebiesky Berety. The shock troops of Poland, for example, are not better statistically than Morskaya Pehota to make up for the numbers difference in the way that you may argue that NATO shock troops are.
  • Riflemen are less potent in nearly every scenario than British, French, Danish, German, Norwegian, Canadian, etc regulars. Unless you're defending a town or edge of a forest from dismounted infantry moving in from open ground (that extra range on the M60 is really useful, isnt it?).
  • Delta Force have the stats of Soviet and most NATO shock troops, not special forces (where some countries are 10+ acc with Carl Gustavs). Why get 6 veteran Delta Force when I can get 8 veteran Stormer with better stats and mechanized transports? They're simply not in the class of a SF unit anymore.
  • Light Riflemen still make no sense. Some people say they like them but I don't get it. They have a 7 acc rifle with the now-standard 875m range on their LMG, and probably the worst infantry ATGM in the game. And they only come in helicopters or unarmed and unarmored ground transports. They serve no purpose whatsoever.
  • Rangers still have their size going for them, but now they can't be used as shock troops in a pinch. Now I'd probably go with MarineJeger nine times out of ten when selecting infantry recon for a mixed deck.

TL;DR - the US infantry roster now barely offers anything interesting worthy of mixed decks and is inferior to the Soviet roster across the board except for a little extra LMG range. IMO buff Deltas and US Marines to put them on the level of other SF and Marine/shock troops (respectively). Everything else would be OK IMO then. Not asking for overpowered 'Murican super men, just one or two units that stand out.
Last edited by Graphic on Mon 20 May 2013 18:33, edited 5 times in total.
k

trotskygrad
General

Re: US infantry now sucks almost as bad as in EE.

Postby trotskygrad » Mon 20 May 2013 16:22

+1

Marines should at LEAST have 8 ACC, Rangers 9, Delta 10.

would be a nice gradient.
NEXT TIME I SEE A DAMN FLAMEWAR INVOLVING DARTH-LAMPSHADE, FROSTPOOKY, LONERIFLE, FADE2GRAY, TROTSKYGRAD AND/OR ANYONE INVOLVED IN A DISCUSSION BETWEEN THEM I'M GOING TO HAND OUT BANS TO ANYONE USING ANYTHING LOOKING REMOTELY LIKE AN AD-HOMINEM

Radioshow
Second-Lieutenant

Postby Radioshow » Mon 20 May 2013 16:27

+1

But probably ain't gonna happen. Seems like ALB is for the commie lovers.
[EUG]MadMat wrote:Radioshow is not a troll, he is our resident Doom Prophet.

Person012345
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Person012345 » Mon 20 May 2013 16:27

I haven't checked out the new build yet but I think that US infantry should be better than motostrelski. If for no other reason than the M16 is a more accurate gun than the AK47. Besides which as you mention in gameplay terms riflemen were not OP as is.

trotskygrad
General

Postby trotskygrad » Mon 20 May 2013 16:28

Person012345 wrote:I haven't checked out the new build yet but I think that US infantry should be better than motostrelski. If for no other reason than the M16 is a more accurate gun than the AK47. Besides which as you mention in gameplay terms riflemen were not OP as is.

strelki use AK-74 which should have the same accuracy within combat ranges.
NEXT TIME I SEE A DAMN FLAMEWAR INVOLVING DARTH-LAMPSHADE, FROSTPOOKY, LONERIFLE, FADE2GRAY, TROTSKYGRAD AND/OR ANYONE INVOLVED IN A DISCUSSION BETWEEN THEM I'M GOING TO HAND OUT BANS TO ANYONE USING ANYTHING LOOKING REMOTELY LIKE AN AD-HOMINEM

chestus
Sergeant First-Class

Postby chestus » Mon 20 May 2013 16:31

ya again we are being..............-1 to all you commy basterds
Videre Vincere Est

ALTHOUGH I FLY THROUGH THE VALLEY OF DEATH I HAVE NO FEAR AS I AM AT 5000 FEET AND CLIMBING

orcbuster

Postby orcbuster » Mon 20 May 2013 16:36

think the M60 got a buff though
Viker for ingen!

orcbuster

Postby orcbuster » Mon 20 May 2013 16:36

think the M60 got a buff though compared to other MGs
Viker for ingen!

Phoenix
Sergeant First-Class

Postby Phoenix » Mon 20 May 2013 16:39

Yeah, agree. Delta force should also never panicked, come all in elite status, and win at a ratio of 300:1 000 000

Prettyhill
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Prettyhill » Mon 20 May 2013 16:40

I find it relevant that US Marines comes with the LAV25, possibly the best transport in the game. In coop with its transport they wreck soviet marines and their transports.

Riflemen comes in Bradley. A beast in total destruction mode.

I dont find any shortcomings in the US infantry selection, other than the lack of good atgm.
"Am i really discussing wargames here with people who have never heard of Fistful of TOWs? I guess that explains why no one has a clue as to what a wargame is then." -Sharky Ward

Return to “Wargame : AirLand Battle”