Buff AAA range against helicopters

trotskygrad
General

Buff AAA range against helicopters

Postby trotskygrad » Tue 21 May 2013 16:30

given how most RADAR SAMs are absolute TRASH against helis nowadays, I think buffing SPAAG range against helis is called for, at least greater than rocket range, maybe 2800m if we want to get crazy. :twisted:
NEXT TIME I SEE A DAMN FLAMEWAR INVOLVING DARTH-LAMPSHADE, FROSTPOOKY, LONERIFLE, FADE2GRAY, TROTSKYGRAD AND/OR ANYONE INVOLVED IN A DISCUSSION BETWEEN THEM I'M GOING TO HAND OUT BANS TO ANYONE USING ANYTHING LOOKING REMOTELY LIKE AN AD-HOMINEM

Breadbox
Captain

Re: Buff AAA range against helicopters

Postby Breadbox » Tue 21 May 2013 16:35

The uselessness of Spagg has been a problem since Wee and such suggestion have risen many times before,I hope this is the time where something will actually be done.

2600m for large caliber AA and 2300m for smaller caliber(somewhere around there) seem to be a good starting point.

trotskygrad
General

Postby trotskygrad » Tue 21 May 2013 16:36

this and gepard needs a slightly higher RoF
NEXT TIME I SEE A DAMN FLAMEWAR INVOLVING DARTH-LAMPSHADE, FROSTPOOKY, LONERIFLE, FADE2GRAY, TROTSKYGRAD AND/OR ANYONE INVOLVED IN A DISCUSSION BETWEEN THEM I'M GOING TO HAND OUT BANS TO ANYONE USING ANYTHING LOOKING REMOTELY LIKE AN AD-HOMINEM

Torrisco
Colonel

Postby Torrisco » Tue 21 May 2013 16:50

what i don't understand is how manpads has worse range than rockets in helos and in top of that they are 2 men squads, i'm fine with them having less range for planes but for helos?? if not hidden in a house they are pretty dead.
but the problem isn't infantry, it is the vehicles like avenger, or those funny trucks with manpads which are useless, 2250m manpads range vs 2800m or 2626m ATGM range... they always must be hidden, not in tree lines since they are easily spotted but inside forest and just take them out when the enemy helo is at less than 2km to make sure you have chances to kill it.

EDIT: :o pact with igla has the only manpads with 2450m range vs helicopters, what about stinger and RBS70...

renorzeta
Command Sergeant Major

Postby renorzeta » Tue 21 May 2013 17:00

Look at tracked rapier now only 2275 to Helis it's too low

JBravo
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby JBravo » Tue 21 May 2013 17:02

I think AAA + MANPADS should be around rocket range (depending on the unit)... Helos tear up most short range AA systems.

Skyenet
First Sergeant

Postby Skyenet » Tue 21 May 2013 17:03

I nearly fell out of my chair the last night when I rolled up my two Gepards towards an unsuspecting pair of Ka-29s which promptly lit me up, stun-locked me with rockets and then murdered my two Gepards before I got anywhere near firing at them. Combine this with the fact that the Marder Roland 2 now has shorter range than helicopter ATGMs against helicopters, and W. GER is pretty much fodder for ATGM helicopters and rocket helicopters.

Though at least it's more manageable than when they were fodder for anything that flew.

FirmusPiett
Lieutenant

Postby FirmusPiett » Tue 21 May 2013 17:09

This; AAA has been 'buffed' via the nerfing of SAMs, but this doesn't help the problem when AAA didn't even have a foot to stand on in the first place and are still straight up useless (well, even more so than before now). Best anti-heli AA for the UK is now its 2275m Javelins vs. helicopters*... This is taking me back to horrible times with the Blowpipes in EE and not liking it one bit.......
Why not just buff overall range for the Rapier like it always deserved, and same for the Falcon... MANPADS should not be the best AA a faction has to offer...

Why is the Rapier so bad? I can tell this patch will be temporary simply because it's not a good enough fix for the game's air-based problems. Air sup should be achieved by increasing loiter times and decreasing arrival times for planes, as well as buffing their missiles vs. helicopters.

*Yeah the Rapier is 2275m too but it gets bombarded by FFAR before it can fire, hopefully javelins don't get spotted until after it's too late for the heli... But that requires buildings and cover. Buildings aren't always available.

trotskygrad
General

Postby trotskygrad » Tue 21 May 2013 17:10

renorzeta wrote:Look at tracked rapier now only 2275 to Helis it's too low

it's actually 1750 now :evil: :evil: :evil:

I WUB PUGS
Lieutenant

Postby I WUB PUGS » Tue 21 May 2013 17:14

Agree, they did half of the equation it seemed. Short range SAMs/AAA should get a nice buff for range against helos. I thought the ranges for engaging helos vs the ranges of helo born ATGMs were just right before. Don't really know why they lowered them.

But at least planes are working!

Return to “Wargame : AirLand Battle”