Buff AAA range against helicopters

Torrisco
Colonel

Re: Buff AAA range against helicopters

Postby Torrisco » Tue 21 May 2013 17:21

JBravo wrote:I think AAA + MANPADS should be around rocket range (depending on the unit)... Helos tear up most short range AA systems.

i don't think any AAA have 5km range IRL to match the range of rockets nor ATGMs,
why they should have the same range or better range than them in game? Actually AAA is normally placed in a way that would ambush the enemy aircraft when passing by an expected air corridor, but not to be place next to your valuable stuff and expect to have a good anti air deffense:

wrong way: AA-----<----- stuff + AAA-------<-----Enemy jets

good way: stuff + AA ---<----AAA----<---- Enemy jets

Kovlovsky
Captain

Postby Kovlovsky » Tue 21 May 2013 17:29

I totally agree that AAA need some love. It isn't actually bad, I have some success with Shilkas, but the most frustrating thing is that it takes at least one or two second of spraying to do any dammage. Aircrafts and hellos flying so low should be easy prey to AAA. I would also like to see higher caliber AAA doing more dammage. A 40mm Bofor shell should do 2 HE I think.
Courtesy of Graphic

trotskygrad
General

Postby trotskygrad » Tue 21 May 2013 17:31

Kovlovsky wrote:I totally agree that AAA need some love. It isn't actually bad, I have some success with Shilkas, but the most frustrating thing is that it takes at least one or two second of spraying to do any dammage. Aircrafts and hellos flying so low should be easy prey to AAA. I would also like to see higher caliber AAA doing more dammage. A 40mm Bofor shell should do 2 HE I think.

same with 57mm

but it would absolutely wreck infantry.
NEXT TIME I SEE A DAMN FLAMEWAR INVOLVING DARTH-LAMPSHADE, FROSTPOOKY, LONERIFLE, FADE2GRAY, TROTSKYGRAD AND/OR ANYONE INVOLVED IN A DISCUSSION BETWEEN THEM I'M GOING TO HAND OUT BANS TO ANYONE USING ANYTHING LOOKING REMOTELY LIKE AN AD-HOMINEM

theBLUBinYou
Lieutenant

Postby theBLUBinYou » Tue 21 May 2013 17:41

The Gepard with it's 35mm cannons should have 1.5 HE then.
And I dont want to see what happens, when a 35mm,40mm or 57mm shell hits a infantry group...

Torrisco wrote:i don't think any AAA have 5km range IRL to match the range of rockets nor ATGMs,

The Gepard 1A2 had ammo that increased it's range to 5km and 3.5km height a few years before it was retired...but these ammo is out of timeframe

grimreffer2
Warrant Officer

Postby grimreffer2 » Tue 21 May 2013 17:51

I hope you know AAA doesn't have the same range as Rockets IRL. Why do you think we use missiles instead of AAA? AAA you have to use your eyes in order to shoot at something. You can't just look on a screen and shoot things 5kms away. IRL they were used to ambush Helo's and Low flying aircraft. So to give them a Range buff would not only make Helo's once again useless but un-realistic.

Example, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2f2e8eYGTE ( believe the Russians have one like this in the game on the back of a truck)
1st Lt. Jason Scott, 75th Ranger Regiment.

Spoiler : :
Omfg it's 43 pixels above their requirement! Omg! Image

grimreffer2
Warrant Officer

Postby grimreffer2 » Tue 21 May 2013 17:58

1st Lt. Jason Scott, 75th Ranger Regiment.

Spoiler : :
Omfg it's 43 pixels above their requirement! Omg! Image

trotskygrad
General

Postby trotskygrad » Tue 21 May 2013 17:58

grimreffer2 wrote:I hope you know AAA doesn't have the same range as Rockets IRL. Why do you think we use missiles instead of AAA? AAA you have to use your eyes in order to shoot at something. You can't just look on a screen and shoot things 5kms away. IRL they were used to ambush Helo's and Low flying aircraft. So to give them a Range buff would not only make Helo's once again useless but un-realistic.

#1: Some AAA systems were radar guided.
#2: it's not unrealistic at all, effective range of the shilka is around 2500m, gepard is further.
#3: We use both systems, hence the prevalence of gun/missile systems like the Tunguska, the gun makes up for the shortcomings of the missile system.

And I don't see why you post videos, they prove nothing or actually disprove your point.
NEXT TIME I SEE A DAMN FLAMEWAR INVOLVING DARTH-LAMPSHADE, FROSTPOOKY, LONERIFLE, FADE2GRAY, TROTSKYGRAD AND/OR ANYONE INVOLVED IN A DISCUSSION BETWEEN THEM I'M GOING TO HAND OUT BANS TO ANYONE USING ANYTHING LOOKING REMOTELY LIKE AN AD-HOMINEM

Keinutnai
Lieutenant

Postby Keinutnai » Tue 21 May 2013 18:07

Radar aa should not have decreased range against helos. It should have a certain MINIMUM RANGE.
Wargame 4 - Balkan at War - New Countries: Italy, Spain, Greece & Turkey versus Yugoslavia, Bulgaria, Hungary & Romania!

Kovlovsky
Captain

Postby Kovlovsky » Tue 21 May 2013 18:07

trotskygrad wrote:
Kovlovsky wrote:I totally agree that AAA need some love. It isn't actually bad, I have some success with Shilkas, but the most frustrating thing is that it takes at least one or two second of spraying to do any dammage. Aircrafts and hellos flying so low should be easy prey to AAA. I would also like to see higher caliber AAA doing more dammage. A 40mm Bofor shell should do 2 HE I think.

same with 57mm

Forgot the infantry in the equation. Perhaps we could introduce a new stat for damage only against air units?
Courtesy of Graphic

trotskygrad
General

Postby trotskygrad » Tue 21 May 2013 18:08

Kovlovsky wrote:
trotskygrad wrote:

same with 57mm

Forgot the infantry in the equation. Perhaps we could introduce a new stat for damage only against air units?

tbh I have no problems with 57mms wrecking infantry but it might ruin balance

SPAAGs IRL were extremely effective against infantry due to their RoF.

Return to “Wargame : AirLand Battle”