Buff AAA range against helicopters

User avatar
Soundwolf776
Lieutenant Colonel
Posts: 2341
Joined: Thu 13 Sep 2012 11:52
Contact:

Re: Buff AAA range against helicopters

Postby Soundwolf776 » Tue 21 May 2013 18:12

i don't think any AAA have 5km range IRL to match the range of rockets nor ATGMs

Gepard is claimed to have 5km effective range.
Tunguska - 4km.

Even Shilka can scare off helos at 4km as the shells can fly so far, only that the accuracy would be abyssmal. Though even it has 2.5km effective range. NATO helo pilots didn't cared a lot about SAMs, but a Shilka - it's a living nightmare.

It's been pointed out a lot - most weapon systems have ranges reduced to 'effective' ranges, and only AAA is reduced to half it's effective range or even lower.

I would suggest to make it so:
Top of the line AAA (Tunguska, Gepard, Veak-40 (?)) - 2800m. ZSU-57 can also be in that range.
Average (Shilka, Vulcan, etc) - 2400-2600.
Low-tech (ZU-23-2 and so on) - ~2000.

That shows quite nicely that things like ZSU-23-2 are situational 'ambush' weapons mainly, while Shilkas and co can counter helicopters with rocket weaponry (as they were designed to do IRL) and modern SPAAGs can also be quite dangerous even to ATGM-armed helicopters - as they were designed with such a threat in mind.

User avatar
grimreffer2
Warrant Officer
Posts: 418
Joined: Wed 1 May 2013 02:35
Location: Red City, MARS.
Contact:

Re: Buff AAA range against helicopters

Postby grimreffer2 » Tue 21 May 2013 18:14

I really don't see why people post these threads. They should learn to adapt, and play the game the way it was meant to be played. Not throw up some AA/AAA and make it so the game only revolves around Ground to Ground combat. The whole point of this game is to have aircraft, not the other way around. As for Helo's well, to be honest they never really did anything before the patch and in WG:EE, because AA would just constantly make them useless. Now Helo's and Airplanes have a chance. You should actually be happy that you can now use bombers, fighters, and helos, instead of crying about it because you can't throw up some AA and forget about air support. Now you have to micro manage abit. So stop crying and learn to adapt.
1st Lt. Jason Scott, 75th Ranger Regiment.

Spoiler : :
Omfg it's 43 pixels above their requirement! Omg! Image

User avatar
trotskygrad
General
Posts: 6444
Joined: Mon 17 Sep 2012 16:09
Location: две тысячи лет война
Contact:

Re: Buff AAA range against helicopters

Postby trotskygrad » Tue 21 May 2013 18:15

Soundwolf776 wrote:
I would suggest to make it so:
Top of the line AAA (Tunguska, Gepard, Veak-40 (?)) - 2800m. ZSU-57 can also be in that range.
Average (Shilka, Vulcan, etc) - 2400-2600.
Low-tech (ZU-23-2 and so on) - ~2000.


agreed, for 50 points a gepard A1 should be a killing machine

atm I'd rather take a 40 point OSA AKM which will probably perform better.
NEXT TIME I SEE A DAMN FLAMEWAR INVOLVING DARTH-LAMPSHADE, FROSTPOOKY, LONERIFLE, FADE2GRAY, TROTSKYGRAD AND/OR ANYONE INVOLVED IN A DISCUSSION BETWEEN THEM I'M GOING TO HAND OUT BANS TO ANYONE USING ANYTHING LOOKING REMOTELY LIKE AN AD-HOMINEM

User avatar
trotskygrad
General
Posts: 6444
Joined: Mon 17 Sep 2012 16:09
Location: две тысячи лет война
Contact:

Re: Buff AAA range against helicopters

Postby trotskygrad » Tue 21 May 2013 18:17

grimreffer2 wrote:I really don't see why people post these threads. They should learn to adapt, and play the game the way it was meant to be played. Not throw up some AA/AAA and make it so the game only revolves around Ground to Ground combat. The whole point of this game is to have aircraft, not the other way around. As for Helo's well, to be honest they never really did anything before the patch and in WG:EE, because AA would just constantly make them useless. Now Helo's and Airplanes have a chance. You should actually be happy that you can now use bombers, fighters, and helos, instead of crying about it because you can't throw up some AA and forget about air support. Now you have to micro manage abit. So stop crying and learn to adapt.


uh, have you even played the game?

helos were already excellent and a pain before the patch, now they're ungodly good

in fact, I'll probably make a hogrush (or Mi-4) deck and just wipe the floor with most nato players, IR sams will be bombed, radar sams will get a load of S-5 in the face.
NEXT TIME I SEE A DAMN FLAMEWAR INVOLVING DARTH-LAMPSHADE, FROSTPOOKY, LONERIFLE, FADE2GRAY, TROTSKYGRAD AND/OR ANYONE INVOLVED IN A DISCUSSION BETWEEN THEM I'M GOING TO HAND OUT BANS TO ANYONE USING ANYTHING LOOKING REMOTELY LIKE AN AD-HOMINEM

User avatar
grimreffer2
Warrant Officer
Posts: 418
Joined: Wed 1 May 2013 02:35
Location: Red City, MARS.
Contact:

Re: Buff AAA range against helicopters

Postby grimreffer2 » Tue 21 May 2013 18:21

Umm, not to sound like a Genius here, but that's what fighters/interceptors are for. If AA can't take them out, then I guess a fighter can.

Also to your question, "Have I played it yet?" Yes I have and now Choppers are apart of the game. Before the patch I rarely saw choppers unless it was 10v10, where people had enough money they didn't care what happen to their choppers.

If AAA is your problem then use them like how they are used in real life. 'Ambushes'. Sit them down in a forest you know a Helo will be near or make a defense perimeter have them guarded by a few infantry and a LAV, in-case some enemy troops feel like snooping around.
1st Lt. Jason Scott, 75th Ranger Regiment.

Spoiler : :
Omfg it's 43 pixels above their requirement! Omg! Image

Flupp1
Sergeant
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun 28 Apr 2013 12:34
Contact:

Re: Buff AAA range against helicopters

Postby Flupp1 » Tue 21 May 2013 18:22

and here we have the problem, fighters fly by shoot 1 rocket helo survive fighter turns over enemy lands and get shot
helo 1
fighter 0

User avatar
trotskygrad
General
Posts: 6444
Joined: Mon 17 Sep 2012 16:09
Location: две тысячи лет война
Contact:

Re: Buff AAA range against helicopters

Postby trotskygrad » Tue 21 May 2013 18:24

grimreffer2 wrote:Umm, not to sound like a Genius here, but that's what fighters/interceptors are for. If AA can't take them out, then I guess a fighter can.

Also to your question, "Have I played it yet?" Yes I have and now Choppers are apart of the game. Before the patch I rarely saw choppers unless it was 10v10, where people had enough money they didn't care what happen to their choppers.

If AAA is your problem then use them like how they are used in real life. 'Ambushes'. Sit them down in a forest you know a Helo will be near or make a defense perimeter have them guarded by a few infantry and a LAV, in-case some enemy troops feel like snooping around.


interceptors can't even target helos with anything but their onboard cannon, fighters can only kill 1 per pass

combine that with a defensive screen of transport helos and AA choppers and your own fighters and you're looking at an unstoppable heli force.
NEXT TIME I SEE A DAMN FLAMEWAR INVOLVING DARTH-LAMPSHADE, FROSTPOOKY, LONERIFLE, FADE2GRAY, TROTSKYGRAD AND/OR ANYONE INVOLVED IN A DISCUSSION BETWEEN THEM I'M GOING TO HAND OUT BANS TO ANYONE USING ANYTHING LOOKING REMOTELY LIKE AN AD-HOMINEM

User avatar
grimreffer2
Warrant Officer
Posts: 418
Joined: Wed 1 May 2013 02:35
Location: Red City, MARS.
Contact:

Re: Buff AAA range against helicopters

Postby grimreffer2 » Tue 21 May 2013 18:34

I've shot down 2 Helo's with 1 Fight before. Believe it was the Eagle. Infact I've shot down 2 a lot. Because the formation is so tight that once one is hit, the chopper with either ram into the other one, or the explosion will hit the other one.

Plus get some Buk/Kubs/Hawks and you can take down the choppers. But helo's accompanied by fighters=Unstoppable force. Nah...It's all about air-superiority. If you only bring 2 fighters to the battle, that's your own fault. Now if you bring 4 Eagles and a Tomcat, that's a different story :lol: .

Also, AA/AAA was meant for defense hense the name, "Air Defense". Fighters were meant to play an offensive roll, aswell as defensive. So if you bring AAA, accompanied by Hawks, with some Chaparrals, you'll be able to hold against any Helo attack, and then add Fighters/interceptors to the mix, and you'll be able to stop enemy fighters/bombers/interceptors.

Everything has a counter. :D
1st Lt. Jason Scott, 75th Ranger Regiment.

Spoiler : :
Omfg it's 43 pixels above their requirement! Omg! Image

User avatar
trotskygrad
General
Posts: 6444
Joined: Mon 17 Sep 2012 16:09
Location: две тысячи лет война
Contact:

Re: Buff AAA range against helicopters

Postby trotskygrad » Tue 21 May 2013 18:41

grimreffer2 wrote:I've shot down 2 Helo's with 1 Fight before. Believe it was the Eagle. Infact I've shot down 2 a lot. Because the formation is so tight that once one is hit, the chopper with either ram into the other one, or the explosion will hit the other one.

Plus get some Buk/Kubs/Hawks and you can take down the choppers. But helo's accompanied by fighters=Unstoppable force. Nah...It's all about air-superiority. If you only bring 2 fighters to the battle, that's your own fault. Now if you bring 4 Eagles and a Tomcat, that's a different story :lol: .

Also, AA/AAA was meant for defense hense the name, "Air Defense". Fighters were meant to play an offensive roll, aswell as defensive. So if you bring AAA, accompanied by Hawks, with some Chaparrals, you'll be able to hold against any Helo attack, and then add Fighters/interceptors to the mix, and you'll be able to stop enemy fighters/bombers/interceptors.

Everything has a counter. :D


then your enemy was an idiot and didn't spread his helos into singles and micro properly. Buk/Kub/Hawk will waste their ammo on a defensive screen and be countered by SEAD.

and AAA is useless currently with the time to kill against helos and poor range, if you've actually used AAA you'll noticed they'll get stunlocked by rockets, before they enter the range at which they can shoot down the helo.
NEXT TIME I SEE A DAMN FLAMEWAR INVOLVING DARTH-LAMPSHADE, FROSTPOOKY, LONERIFLE, FADE2GRAY, TROTSKYGRAD AND/OR ANYONE INVOLVED IN A DISCUSSION BETWEEN THEM I'M GOING TO HAND OUT BANS TO ANYONE USING ANYTHING LOOKING REMOTELY LIKE AN AD-HOMINEM

User avatar
I WUB PUGS
Lieutenant
Posts: 1225
Joined: Tue 30 Apr 2013 18:40
Location: Monterey California
Contact:

Re: Buff AAA range against helicopters

Postby I WUB PUGS » Tue 21 May 2013 18:45

Dude, I swear I'm one of like 10 people that only deploys singles. I'm not complaining. :P
Image

Return to “Wargame : AirLand Battle”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests