AA ranges

Falcrack
Lieutenant

AA ranges

Postby Falcrack » Wed 22 May 2013 15:56

Buk-M1 range vs helos is 2800 m, same range coincidentally as Apache hellfire missile.

I-Hawk range vs helos is 2625 m, less than that of Mi-28 ATGM (2800 m), so an Mi-28 can safely snipe an I-Hawk. Apache doesn't have that option with the Buk-M1, unless it fancies having a missile in its face. Before this patch, both helos were equally vulnerable to both AA platforms, now the I-Hawk can be hard countered by the Mi-28 while the Apache cannot do the same to the Buk-M1. Tunguska M also handily outranges Apache with 3500 m missiles.

Ka-50 ATGM can also now outrange every Nato AA system except the top tier chaparral (3500 m, available to only the US), and even then the chaparral only barely outranges it. So if you are playing NATO with a national deck that is not the US, then better luck next time. All your AA are belong to us. The Ka-50 can snipe anything except a chaparral with impunity from 3325 m. What's that you say, shoot it down with planes? Did I forget to mention the 4 AA missiles the Ka-50 comes armed with?

Airborneguy
Sergeant Major

Re: AA ranges

Postby Airborneguy » Wed 22 May 2013 16:06

That's just more of many ways they handicap the US. I am beginning to think that they are anti-US.

trotskygrad
General

Postby trotskygrad » Wed 22 May 2013 16:07

Falcrack wrote:Did I forget to mention the 4 AA missiles the Ka-50 comes armed with?

they also got range nerfed, mmm?

though really downing helis with planes is tricky.
NEXT TIME I SEE A DAMN FLAMEWAR INVOLVING DARTH-LAMPSHADE, FROSTPOOKY, LONERIFLE, FADE2GRAY, TROTSKYGRAD AND/OR ANYONE INVOLVED IN A DISCUSSION BETWEEN THEM I'M GOING TO HAND OUT BANS TO ANYONE USING ANYTHING LOOKING REMOTELY LIKE AN AD-HOMINEM

Airborneguy
Sergeant Major

Postby Airborneguy » Wed 22 May 2013 16:11

trotskygrad wrote:
Falcrack wrote:Did I forget to mention the 4 AA missiles the Ka-50 comes armed with?

When did the helis get nerfed? Last time I checked Akulas had a range of 3350.

renorzeta
Command Sergeant Major

Postby renorzeta » Wed 22 May 2013 16:13

look at Tracked rapier LOL :oops: and Falcon LOL only Javalin .

FirmusPiett
Lieutenant

Postby FirmusPiett » Wed 22 May 2013 16:16

Imo there might be unbalance to come... Either the planes need a buff at taking down helicopters (it's currently a really bad idea unless their helicopters have already broken down all your weak aa defences and made it behind your front line) or some individual AA systems need a case by case review. Atm, British AA is very weak particularly (it had no extra long-range missile platforms beforehand).
It's not that I don't like this new system; it's a very good one and encourages use of a wide array of AA solutions. It's quite a commendable move. But nerfing the Rapier to 1750 vs. choppers is overdoing it imo. Pretty sure even the Yak-B outranges that.
Falcon could do with a little range buff too. Gun AA should definitely be made better overall as it was bad before and now it's only been improved by making everything else worse; which is never what people normally have in mind when they suggest changes. Nerfs = bad. Buffs = GOOD (sometimes).

Just to put things into context... I have had a massive problem with helos and jets in the past few days. There is nothing I can do against a helicopter that will see AA approaching. It can just sit there and wait for my crappy AA to come within a comfortable range and then fire. People who know to use them properly manage to evade my thick web of AA coverage and make it out relatively unscathed. It is a bit out of hand really.

And lol yes wasabi, thanks for reminding me, a large amount of my heli kills have been using artillery in the past few days. Again, AA just isn't doing what it's supposed to.
Last edited by FirmusPiett on Wed 22 May 2013 16:19, edited 2 times in total.

Wasabi
First Sergeant

Postby Wasabi » Wed 22 May 2013 16:18

The only way i killed a Ka 50 yesterday was my arty, I waited for the player to refuel its missiles and I mortared the **** out of it
"Good tactics can save even the worst strategy. Bad tactics will destroy even the best strategy."
General Patton

Falcrack
Lieutenant

Postby Falcrack » Wed 22 May 2013 16:18

trotskygrad wrote:

Still can shoot planes from 1960 m, quite respectable.

I'll just counter the Ka-50 with the AH-1W super cobra or OH-58C. Woops, nope I can't, the Ka-50 AA range vs helos is 2450, the AA range for super cobra is only 1750. Even if I didn't consider OH-58C/S a waste of a deck space, it still only has AA range of 2275.

Interesting to note, the IR AA missile range of Ka-50 for helos is 2460, vs planes it is 1960. For the AH-1W super cobra, on the other hand, the IR AA missile has range of 1750 vs helos and 3500 vs planes. Doesn't make much sense to me, IMO the super cobra AA missile range should be longer vs helos and shorter vs planes.

Airborneguy
Sergeant Major

Postby Airborneguy » Wed 22 May 2013 16:20

Why did they nerd the AA anyway. Who gives a crap about the Helis when you have jets lol. I can't wait to get home and snipe AA with my Helis.

QShadow
Second-Lieutenant

Postby QShadow » Wed 22 May 2013 16:25

Guys seriosuly know your facts.

Only radar aa got nerfed vs helos, IR AA like the chap still has 3500m range vs helos (but in return less range vs planes).

IR = for Helos, Radar = for planes

And as it goes for UK in its AA, at least you guys have the Javelin, W. Germany doesnt have IR AA or MANPADS at all : P

And the Ka50 and the Mi28 are both USSR Prototypes worth ~140 points.

Return to “Wargame : AirLand Battle”