Tunnels: or a really annoying game mechanic

Jereth
Lieutenant

Re: Tunnels: or a really annoying game mechanic

Postby Jereth » Thu 23 May 2013 21:15

I have mixed feelings about this. Certainly on one hand I agree with the OP, magic indestructible tunnels that spawn units mid map do seem a bit unrealistic. On the other hand, certain levels of abstraction are welcome in order to make the game more fun, however, I feel Eugen is sending mixed messages. Previously MadMat has stated that para-dropping units has no place on the tactical level, and thus will never be included. Now we have reinforcement zones in the middle of the map, whether they or tunnels or whatever abstract justification you have for allowing fresh troops to enter the field from that point, it still represents a departure from previous policy. If helicopters can pop out of the ground, why cant infantry jump out of the sky?

In summary: Why not make tunnels (and bridges for that matter) destructible, and transport aircraft that can paradrop units/supplies?

nimitz98
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby nimitz98 » Thu 23 May 2013 21:38

I'm fine with ground forces arriving through tunnels, but helicopters.... no, just no. I vote for no more drunk Hinds and Apaches flying in tunnels.
EF-111 RAVEN -- UNSTOPPABLE MENACE TO CVs -- PLZ NERF
Spoiler : :

rags17
Sergeant

Postby rags17 » Thu 23 May 2013 23:58

Remove tunnels

Hidden Gunman
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Hidden Gunman » Fri 24 May 2013 00:56

I always find it funny to watch enemy units appear out of the tunnel, then when the cv is killed off and replaced by a friendly, moments later friendly units appear out of it.

I understand why they are included, and it's not a bad thing to actually have central map objectives that give more than just a points bonus, but some of the problems could be aleviated with a 'turn on/turn off' feature for all reinforcement/spawn zones.

But, helos shouldn't come in through tunnels...perhaps they should function like air units using the air corridors?
A Firefly killed Wittman...

It's a 17lbr, not a 76.2mm.

SKY NET
Master Sergeant

Postby SKY NET » Fri 24 May 2013 01:00

The issue for me is a combination of spawning in the middle of a zone and the lack of being able to designate a spawn point to use.

Its a pain in the butt to have to micro your spawn points when they are contested.

I think a hot key to activate/deactivate spawn points would solve the issue.

Ragor
First Sergeant

Postby Ragor » Fri 24 May 2013 01:45

SKY NET wrote:The issue for me is a combination of spawning in the middle of a zone and the lack of being able to designate a spawn point to use.

Its a pain in the butt to have to micro your spawn points when they are contested.

(...)

It is especially hard when you play in a team and you are holding the center area of a map and your teammates are constantly fighting for the other cap zones... and the reinforcement zones and the frontline changes every minute...
-> and all you precious and needed reinforcements get slaughtered because of the moved frontline in the east and the west area was just lost and the units take the long way from the initial spawn area...

Yes, the mechaninc like atm is working... but there is room for improvements (selection and/or deactivation of reinforcement zones) and options. (map option for the host: tunnel reinforcements on/off)
Play the game like it is designed, not the way you want it to be.

Kodokai
Sergeant First-Class

Postby Kodokai » Fri 24 May 2013 01:56

Falcrack wrote:I hate tunnels in the middle of the map too. Immersion breaking and all that to be able to have helos pop out of tunnels in the middle of the map.

Easily fixed. Change helo spawn mechanics but tanks etc coming thru tunnels, plausible.

FateInMotion
Corporal

Postby FateInMotion » Fri 24 May 2013 01:59

Tired, I see your point and understand, but are you telling me you would prefer say on Rag, that you bring in AA from base and then maybe have to re-fuel them twice and send your logi back to FOB for more fuel for those AA that drink it like whales? It would add realism but damn man, you'd have to retreat your hold force etc :/

Ragor
First Sergeant

Postby Ragor » Fri 24 May 2013 02:21

FateInMotion wrote:Tired, I see your point and understand, but are you telling me you would prefer say on Rag, that you bring in AA from base and then maybe have to re-fuel them twice and send your logi back to FOB for more fuel for those AA that drink it like whales? It would add realism but damn man, you'd have to retreat your hold force etc :/

Yup. That is exactly the reason why some players would love to have the option to disable them when hosting a game: We want that kind of preplanned tactical warfare. Where you are when you have no back up ready in place.
Or take it the other way round:
To not have to deal with the instantly called and spawned scissors when you attack the scouted stones with your paper in the middle of the map.

When I hold these kind of locations?
I simply set up recon units. Nothing else. And just spawn what I need in the case I get attacked or when I launch an attack.
Yes, I do it as well. Just to be competive. (check my signature: I wear it since many years for a reason on every gaming forum)
But this does not mean, that this is the most fun to play for me. It is just the easiest and most effective way to play since you can always simply react. No pre-planning and extended scouting needed that way.

Edit:
As a sidenote:
Since many of the high value capture zones in the middle of a map have a reinforcement tunnels, it is pointless to have them that high value since they are as easy to defend like the initial spawn area.
Last edited by OpusTheFowl on Fri 24 May 2013 04:01, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Language

FateInMotion
Corporal

Postby FateInMotion » Fri 24 May 2013 02:29

Well the idea to disable the in map spawns would make for a cool game mode "Realism" or such.

Return to “Wargame : AirLand Battle”