PLEASE allow us to play any map with any number of players..

reaver
Master Sergeant

Re: PLEASE allow us to play any map with any number of playe

Postby reaver » Wed 29 May 2013 07:45

JBravo wrote:At least a response as to why such limitations exist...

I'd love to do 4v4 on very small maps, with only 2k starting points. It would promote teamwork to a whole new level.

When I found out that players were going to be able to specialize in certain decks such as armored or mechanized, I thought this type of thing was exactly what eugen was encouraging, instead of everyone going to a certain point of the map on their own.

I don't know whether or not I can speak for everyone on this but I do know I can speak for most people, I've yet to talk to someone who likes this "feature".

So my message to Eugen is for such a great game, this is by far the biggest disappointment for me and many others. You've made an amazing product, just let us play the game how we please.

+1

Grosnours
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Grosnours » Wed 29 May 2013 07:52

EliteSniper wrote: :o That's a good way to get fans. :|

Yes and leaving 4v4 6k HH games popping everywhere is also a fantastic way to ensure a newbie becomes a fan ! :|

So let me be comprehensive here on why restrictions are a good idea :

- helps not to fraction community by adding additional options
I don't know for you, but I've clocked more than 600 hours in WEE and WAB combined and I still manage to participate into games I didn't even check the settings. And then I discover mid-match that I got into one of those awful (IMHO) total destruction no time limit games or that the game is going to end in 5 minutes and I didn't push hard enough. Point is, it's still hard to be absolutely sure that you participate in a game you like. By adding more options, especially ones which are notorious to polarize people (love it/hate it), you're going to make the community life that much harder. And not fractioning the community is one of the most important thing for the devs : that's why you don't have mod tools, that's why you have free DLC, etc...

- helps newbies
Oh sure, games with exotic requirement might be very fun if played between people who know exactly what they are doing. Hey, after all it's true for everything: if that rocks your boat and you do it between consenting adults, I have nothing to say about your kinky habits.
But sadly here you can't guarantee that. Right now there's no option to artificially separate public and private game options so forget about it. If you authorize exotic games then you'll expose the entire audience of WAB to it and you're definitely NOT going to give a good image of it. It's like giving to pre-teen an introductory course about sexuality and dwelling into BDSM. NOT A GOOD IDEA.

- makes sure everyone is on the same page
It was said several times here already, but the dev have a very strong and precise idea on how the game should be played. They are pretty much entitled to that, you can't really do anything about it.
So imagine you're a toy maker and you spend 6 months crafting this wonderful and complicated transforming toy. You give it to two kids who are playing on the street to test their reaction and they begin to use it as a shovel for dirt. I don't know for you, but I would begin to have very strong urges to bang their head together. Quite vehemently at that.
It's pretty much the same here. The dev crafted a gem of a game, which has depth and strategy and so on, and some want to waste it by cramming as much units as they can into maps and pressing fast move. It kinda hurts my soul just thinking about it. Anyhow, devs want everybody to play the game the way they wanted the game to be played, and I sure as hell can't fault them about that.

diana olympos
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby diana olympos » Wed 29 May 2013 09:09

Oh and you miss the point with your "limit point not players".

Income on map increase with players (you didn't notice that? :p) and... there will still be the availability problem...

brutesquad01
Corporal

Postby brutesquad01 » Wed 29 May 2013 09:49

What about a big warning in the lobby that says:

CURRENT GAME SETTINGS ARE NOT OPTIMAL FOR THIS MAP!

With that, I don't really see a good reason for the restrictions. I was really looking forward to much larger maps in this game, and they feel much smaller instead. A 2v2 on some of the 4v4 maps or even Ragnorak would be an interesting experiment, as would a very low points team game on a small map.

ch3cooh
Colonel

Postby ch3cooh » Wed 29 May 2013 09:58

diana olympos wrote:Oh and you miss the point with your "limit point not players".

Income on map increase with players (you didn't notice that? :p) and... there will still be the availability problem...

Why not give each sector its income rate and divide it by a teams players?

ahauschild
Corporal

Postby ahauschild » Wed 29 May 2013 09:58

I would also remove the restrictions, but give a clear recommendation that this map is best with 4v4 or such.

Grosnours
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Grosnours » Wed 29 May 2013 10:16

brutesquad01 wrote:With that, I don't really see a good reason for the restrictions. I was really looking forward to much larger maps in this game, and they feel much smaller instead. A 2v2 on some of the 4v4 maps or even Ragnorak would be an interesting experiment, as would a very low points team game on a small map.

Again, it's already doable.
I quote :

nWODT_Niack wrote:OKAY, turns out you CAN play 1v1 on a 4v4 map. You just have to manually set every player slot to "closed". Functionnal, albeit impractical. Well I have noting more to say on that matter.

Needless to say, maps shouldn't allow more players than the intended number.

Kreved
Warrant Officer

Postby Kreved » Wed 29 May 2013 10:20

Grosnours wrote:
EliteSniper wrote: :o That's a good way to get fans. :|

Yes and leaving 4v4 6k HH games popping everywhere is also a fantastic way to ensure a newbie becomes a fan ! :|

So let me be comprehensive here on why restrictions are a good idea :

- helps not to fraction community by adding additional options
I don't know for you, but I've clocked more than 600 hours in WEE and WAB combined and I still manage to participate into games I didn't even check the settings. And then I discover mid-match that I got into one of those awful (IMHO) total destruction no time limit games or that the game is going to end in 5 minutes and I didn't push hard enough. Point is, it's still hard to be absolutely sure that you participate in a game you like. By adding more options, especially ones which are notorious to polarize people (love it/hate it), you're going to make the community life that much harder. And not fractioning the community is one of the most important thing for the devs : that's why you don't have mod tools, that's why you have free DLC, etc...

- helps newbies
Oh sure, games with exotic requirement might be very fun if played between people who know exactly what they are doing. Hey, after all it's true for everything: if that rocks your boat and you do it between consenting adults, I have nothing to say about your kinky habits.
But sadly here you can't guarantee that. Right now there's no option to artificially separate public and private game options so forget about it. If you authorize exotic games then you'll expose the entire audience of WAB to it and you're definitely NOT going to give a good image of it. It's like giving to pre-teen an introductory course about sexuality and dwelling into BDSM. NOT A GOOD IDEA.

- makes sure everyone is on the same page
It was said several times here already, but the dev have a very strong and precise idea on how the game should be played. They are pretty much entitled to that, you can't really do anything about it.
So imagine you're a toy maker and you spend 6 months crafting this wonderful and complicated transforming toy. You give it to two kids who are playing on the street to test their reaction and they begin to use it as a shovel for dirt. I don't know for you, but I would begin to have very strong urges to bang their head together. Quite vehemently at that.
It's pretty much the same here. The dev crafted a gem of a game, which has depth and strategy and so on, and some want to waste it by cramming as much units as they can into maps and pressing fast move. It kinda hurts my soul just thinking about it. Anyhow, devs want everybody to play the game the way they wanted the game to be played, and I sure as hell can't fault them about that.

Pretty much Quoted For Truth.

Bonk
Master Sergeant

Postby Bonk » Wed 29 May 2013 11:23

+1 for every number of players for every map

Return to “Wargame : AirLand Battle”