HI! I'm aiming at you

Spridder
Sergeant First-Class

HI! I'm aiming at you

Postby Spridder » Wed 29 May 2013 15:12

I love the game. i want to start off by saying that.

I am however just a little disappointed that this issue has not been taken care of yet though.

With the launch only hours away.

A group of infantry, in heavy woods or forest, is seen and fired upon by approaching APC's through a field as soon the supposedly hidden infantry starts to aim.

The infantry should at least get a shot off before they are located.

I dont know, just a bit disheartening when said infantry is wiped out while aiming and never were able to get a shot off.

By the way, i know this subject has been covered time and time again. i just have no idea how to search for something so specific and its obviously not gotten to the ear of the important people.

Love the game.. disappointed with the little flaws that seem to be relatively easy fixes.. :cry:
Firefitter on steam
Firefitter in Wargame

Ragor
First Sergeant

Re: HI! I'm aiming at you

Postby Ragor » Wed 29 May 2013 15:14

I agree on all points. Once more.^^
Last edited by Ragor on Wed 29 May 2013 15:15, edited 1 time in total.
Play the game like it is designed, not the way you want it to be.

DiabloTigerSix
Colonel

Postby DiabloTigerSix » Wed 29 May 2013 15:15

I'm pretty sure it used to be like that W:EE. W:ALB is giving me a lot of confusion too. I swear I've seen that happen too.

DragonUP
Corporal

Postby DragonUP » Wed 29 May 2013 15:21

As always, I agree with this point:)

Thing is however... the game works like this, its a strange mechanic but maybe without it there would be some other bad situationa arising

That said I agree that the hidden unit should at least get to fire a shot before becoming visible, couter this by making it visible for longer after a shot is fired?

Ragor
First Sergeant

Postby Ragor » Wed 29 May 2013 15:27

DragonUP wrote:As always, I agree with this point:)

Thing is however... the game works like this, its a strange mechanic but maybe without it there would be some other bad situationa arising

That said I agree that the hidden unit should at least get to fire a shot before becoming visible, couter this by making it visible for longer after a shot is fired?

Isn't this the whole point of hiding troops to perform an ambush?
Especially with infantry outside of the regular 'denying area' tactic by occupying key sectors?

Sadly it doens't work atm due to the stated 'Hi! I'm aiming at you' mechanic.
Last edited by Ragor on Wed 29 May 2013 15:28, edited 1 time in total.
Play the game like it is designed, not the way you want it to be.

Brutoni
Colonel

Postby Brutoni » Wed 29 May 2013 15:27

In 100% agreement. Infantry since the changes is potent when used correctly. Having the chance to fire without being detected would be useful. Sometimes it does appear to happen so clearly "aiming" reduces a units stealth characteristic.

It's a difficult one to balance as you don't want ninja's running around killing everyone and never being detected. It would be interesting to see how the game calculates these things.
ImageImage

Sparika
Warrant Officer

Postby Sparika » Wed 29 May 2013 15:31

It has already been stated that it's not happening.

This is not the bug you are looking for.
"You're not Stalin, and zone Bravo on Hell's Highway is not your motherland." - TheFluff
Spoiler : For her Majesty! :

DoktorvonWer
General

Postby DoktorvonWer » Wed 29 May 2013 15:32

Sparika wrote:It has already been stated that it's not happening.

This is not the bug you are looking for.

Well they need telling again that it needs to happen. What is the point of us beta testing when the feedback that has been emphatically given all over the boards dozens of times is ignored?

Uncle_Joe
Second-Lieutenant

Postby Uncle_Joe » Wed 29 May 2013 15:33

While this looks like a bug, it was unable to be reproduced either by Eugen or by people who tested it (and posted on youtube). It clearly shows that aiming does not reveal your position before you fire.

More likely what you're seeing is that with a range of only 575, your men start aiming when the enemy AFV is at max range but the movement is so fast that before the shot goes off, the AFV is close enough to spot (and many AFVs have insanely low aim times) and fire. Alternatively, there is another recon unit that you dont see that spots the infantry and allows the closer AFV to fire.

My problem with all of it is how quickly infantry in the woods vaporize to any direct fire, meaning that they rarely live to get multiple shots once spotted.

Oh and one other thing to mention...LAWs and RPGs and whatnot have the STAT trait, meaning they have to be not moving to fire. If you have infantry a bit back in the woods and order them to attack an approaching AFV, they'll actually start to move towards it to get in range but be unable to fire until they stop moving. Often what happens is that the infantry are spotted while moving, take fire, are rapidly suppressed and never return effective fire (and then the vulnerability issue means that they never recover and die to no purpose).

IMO, the one issue still plaguing game balance is how quickly infantry are vaporized by direct fire HE, even from AFVs a km and a half away! So infantry are still pretty much relegated to towns if you want them to survive contact (or you have to completely mass them which leaves you vulnerable to arty).
"Don't you know that in the Service one must always choose the lesser of two weevils?"

FLX
Lieutenant General

Postby FLX » Wed 29 May 2013 15:51

With an aiming time of 0.2sec I wonder how you make the difference between aiming and shooting. The circle your see is certainly the reloading circle that occurs AFTER shooting.
Be nice or I nerf your favorite unit !

Return to “Wargame : AirLand Battle”