The Holy Wholly "Pause & Order" Thread

TBR
Corporal

Re: Thw Holy Wholly "Pause & Order" Thread

Postby TBR » Tue 4 Jun 2013 23:45

+1 to the original poster

I stopped playing wargame:ee because of the lack of pause&command (as well as supply starvation) and the only thing that made SP skirmishes without pause&command in ALB enjoyable to me was the ability to have AI allies to do the micro intensive ground war for me while I mostly employ static to semi static AA heavy defenses and have fun ordering air strikes and watchin pretty explosions.

Average gamer age is rising, denying, for no discernible reason, pause&command in SP cuts Eugen off from a considerable portion of the more moneyed segment of the market.

OpusTheFowl
General

Postby OpusTheFowl » Tue 4 Jun 2013 23:57

TBR wrote:...cuts Eugen off from a considerable portion of the more moneyed segment of the market.

The game is $40. A kid earns this in 4hrs at a minimum wage job these days where I live. Strange argument... ;)

raider_1001
Corporal

Postby raider_1001 » Tue 4 Jun 2013 23:59

vpalmer wrote:WAB is MP oriented RTS, and, f.i. like SC, dont have commands in pause mode...

Start SC campaign/skirmish -> hit a huge mob -> press F10 -> press Gameplay Option -> set game speed to slowest -> profit.

Raymond Saint wrote:SP is just a training before MP...

I learned from SC2 singleplayer that Terran Medics plus Firebat is a nice combo against Zerg in mutliplayer... :roll:

kalmah666
Private

Postby kalmah666 » Wed 5 Jun 2013 00:00

+100 to OP

12oz Jesus
Corporal

Postby 12oz Jesus » Thu 6 Jun 2013 01:17

Despite what some of the MP snobs may try to tell you... the SP and campaign is actually quite good. The MANY of us who are obviously enjoying SP but would recommend this game MUCH more with the pause and order option would appreciate consideration of this by the devs.

I'm certainly no coder, but it just doesn't seem to be very difficult or time consuming to implement.

Victor Tadeu
Private First-Class

Postby Victor Tadeu » Sat 8 Jun 2013 00:11

+1000000000

Totally support it for single player experience!

Different from what some people say, there is nothing in "no RTS" or noob in this feature.

First this feature was present in the one of the most important game of this genre, in my opinion the MOST important: Age of Empire. Even in the first 3D RTS, Total Annihilation. Also this feature still present to this day in most RTS games beign launched, and I never heard about someone asking to this feature be removed from that games. Saying that "pause and order" are no RTS is a immense ignorancy. Unless you only played Warcraft and C&C to this date.

Second, "noob in RTS"!? Please, I'm probably older than most people here and play RTS since early 90's. I have played the first C&C, the first Warcraft, Age of Empires 1, European Wars, the Total Annihilation mayhem, I saw this genre strongly migrating to 3D with games such Ground Control, Empire Earth and Age of Mythology. Most under 20 gamers today maybe start playing RTS games with Command & Conquer: Generals, when other people, more older people like me, was playing this for a decade. After all that games, seing someone saying that "pause-n-order" is a noob feature or not a truly RTS just sound... noob.

Also, some peoples here already said: it wont change the "no pause" play style and multiplayer in any scale. So why oppose it!? If you have nothing to win, some people have, but no one have anything to lose.

Also... most important to me. I'm at university and also I have a job. I'm happy if your are a teenager and have a lot of time to develop your "clicking skills", but I dont and I do not even want to. I just want so sit and play on my computer to enjoy and relax a bit. I almost never play multiplayer in most games I play. In some one of then, I'm pretty good, in another ones, I sucks. But honestly... every game I play in multiplayer I enjoyed it in singleplayer first. In most cases I play the singleplayer until I can beat the AI with my eyes closed and, if I want, I move to multiplayer to have a challenge or a different experience.

To MY preference and personal taste (yours maybe diverge)... I see no mental challenge in trying to do a lot of clicks per minute. I prefer to sit, analyze the situation, consider my options, make a plan and try it out. By the way it's much more like real life than "click click CLICK FASTER!". Wargame have such nice graphics, a lot of epic moments and great level of micromanagement that I feel that I'm missing when I play so zoomed out and fast like I have to do today. I have more fun setting 2x2 AI and putting me in one of the teams and opperating with fewer units than seeing a lot of NATO symbols moving around the screen... It cutting out the fun of it.

eddyvegasgames
Corporal

Postby eddyvegasgames » Sat 8 Jun 2013 00:20

Is there any way to get an official word on this? I mean, if the answer is, 'it's not happening, game is real time', at least I can stop dreaming about it. :)

fabius
Master Sergeant

Postby fabius » Sat 8 Jun 2013 00:54

eddyvegasgames wrote:Is there any way to get an official word on this? I mean, if the answer is, 'it's not happening, game is real time', at least I can stop dreaming about it. :)

"Amen brother" :D

Falcrack
Lieutenant

Postby Falcrack » Sat 8 Jun 2013 01:02

This is really an important issue, Eugen should seriously consider implementing it. Would make a lot of people happy, and have zero impact on multiplayer folks.

Shiven
Private

Postby Shiven » Sat 8 Jun 2013 01:42

I'm against a pause feature, as it does effect multiplayer.

When playing Supreme commander, I played a lot of single player and the campaign and became highly reliant on using the pause feature to issue commands. When I figured I would try playing mutliplayer, I got rocked... because I was used to pausing to issue combat orders.

Not a game breaking idea, but I'm personally against it.

Return to “Wargame : AirLand Battle”