Terrible at Ranked 1v1...

fldash
Sergeant First-Class

Terrible at Ranked 1v1...

Postby fldash » Fri 7 Jun 2013 13:36

I started playing team games before I ever tried ranked... At first I was terrible, almost always hindering my team... Then I began carrying my team. Almost always with the most or second to most points/kills for our team, sometimes single handily winning the game.

I decided to play some ranked games, and I'm 2-10. One of my wins was against someone who quit when I killed their F-14 at the beginning of the match. I was only helo spammed once (against someone much higher ranked than me, go figure) and since I had bought all my units already, there was nothing I could do (I now at least send one plane recon before I purchase anything). On another game, I thought I had the upper hand, someone snuck around and got my main CV with a helo (now I make sure recon can see anything attempting to sneak and have AA available).

That said... I've still lost a lot of matches, and most of them are against other Pvts. I only play PACT and I'm using a Armored Pact deck.

http://i.imgur.com/797rwB0.jpg

Any tips or advice?

hanspeter_schnitzel
Command Sergeant Major

Re: Terrible at Ranked 1v1...

Postby hanspeter_schnitzel » Fri 7 Jun 2013 13:42

Better recon (that exceptional tank-recon-thingy), mortars and perhaps less planes for more ground units couldn't hurt. Oh and the Motorstrelki in the BMP-1D are great for taking cities, since their IFV got a grenade launcher.

***Cts***
Sergeant First-Class

Postby ***Cts*** » Fri 7 Jun 2013 13:43

somebody needs to lose....

DeuZerre
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!
Location: Universe, Galaxy, Solar System, Earth, Ground, Eurasian Continent, Main Landmass.

Postby DeuZerre » Fri 7 Jun 2013 13:45

Wow...

Way too little infnatry, no infnatry that's cheap enough to be called in case of direct need
No infnatry on wheels, so you lose t initial "ground gain" fight
Only costly helicopters
Three heavy tanks with the sale role
T-62s that are worse in every point compared to T-55s
Way too much AA, no mortars and only RADAR AA
A FOB for 1v1 when you don't have artillery?
Too much air superiority without anything efficient to take advantage of it (ground attack, bombers, whatever)
Only jeep commands that will die to anything that shoot at them and random arty shots at obvious locations;
Marshal honoris causa
FLX wrote:Removing the weaknesses from the divisions leads to all divisions being the same in the long run. We won't proceed like that.

Spridder
Sergeant First-Class

Postby Spridder » Fri 7 Jun 2013 13:47

yea man,

im the same way.

I can hold my own in a group(10vs10 or even 2v2)

But it seems something changes in 1v1 and i cant put my finger on it.

The helo spam is problematic for a number of reasons.

the first being that it works and is becoming more wide spread. ive come across it numerous times.

the second, if you withhold buying anything at the beginning to scout for a helo spam first, you are behind the 8 ball in getting to important strategical locations against a person playing a legitimate strategy.

The only tip received about my deck so far is the national deck is not the way to go in 1v1.

Mixing and matching the best units from multiple countries is the way to go in 1v1. (so ive been told) the best isnt always due to their stats remember. Sometimes the cost effectiveness of the unit that makes them better than a unit that might be a bit better in the stat category.

Thoughts?
Firefitter on steam
Firefitter in Wargame

fldash
Sergeant First-Class

Postby fldash » Fri 7 Jun 2013 13:53

DeuZerre wrote:Wow...

Way too little infnatry, no infnatry that's cheap enough to be called in case of direct need
No infnatry on wheels, so you lose t initial "ground gain" fight
Only costly helicopters
Three heavy tanks with the sale role
T-62s that are worse in every point compared to T-55s
Way too much AA, no mortars and only RADAR AA
A FOB for 1v1 when you don't have artillery?
Too much air superiority without anything efficient to take advantage of it (ground attack, bombers, whatever)
Only jeep commands that will die to anything that shoot at them and random arty shots at obvious locations;

I think some of my options are limited because this is a Russian Armored deck... but I'll look at some of this. Thanks.

naizarak
Captain

Postby naizarak » Fri 7 Jun 2013 13:57

best advice: don't play ranked. it's just a contest of who was the better gimmicky strategy, or who's more efficient at turtling. it's really not very enjoyable, and most of the time, actually taking the initiative makes you lose.

that said since the entire point of the game mode is to manage your points better than the opponent, i'd recommend using cheap units with high veterancy. also investing in good artillery is a must

Kamil
Lieutenant

Postby Kamil » Fri 7 Jun 2013 14:02

Armored deck isnt good idea on 1v1 matches cause you lose too much units.

You should have:
- armored CV, more urals (do not take fob),
- more inf (atgm, bmp2 obr 1986 on morostrelki, cheap btr, some inf at helis) Do not take bmp3, bmp2, bmp2d, bmp1s(except 1d)
- take tunguska-m, some arty,
- 4 tank packs max,
- recon inf on helis or btr,
- bmpt,
- 1 mi-28,
- 3 jets packs max (believe or not you dont need some many jets in ranked games).
Last edited by Kamil on Fri 7 Jun 2013 14:03, edited 1 time in total.

Babubudu
Command Sergeant Major

Postby Babubudu » Fri 7 Jun 2013 14:03

U need more cheap units.
Infantry AT, Infantry AA may be an option.
Su-25 - best helicopter hunter, try them ;)
Better pick T80A - for their missile range/dmg (for 130 pts.)

Any way don't know why but if i can call myself pro in 10vs10 (I have played it most) at ranked I am just noob, somehow I am still loosing much more (I am starting to think what NATO side is better suited for 1vs1, because NATO have faster units also they have better cheap units than PACT).

P.S. I am playing for PACT side too.

Wasabi
First Sergeant

Postby Wasabi » Fri 7 Jun 2013 14:05

You need a better deck, I have dedicated decks for 1v1, what you need for a 1v1 is different than playing teams. When I get home tonight Ill post some 1v1 decks. I highly reccomend some agtm infantry, less jets, some mortars, armored cvs, better recon, you dont need all of that aa. A buk, tynguskas, and a decent non radar aa, and possibly some aa infantry
"Good tactics can save even the worst strategy. Bad tactics will destroy even the best strategy."
General Patton

Return to “Wargame : AirLand Battle”