Campaign sets unrealistic goals.

themediocrity
Chief Warrant Officer

Re: Campaign sets unrealistic goals.

Postby themediocrity » Sun 9 Jun 2013 20:50

The later campaigns are hard but not impossibly hard. Usually you can win quickly by just always going for the kill on enemy BGs. If you rout an enemy group always chase it no matter what your initiative. Even if they retreat to a sector with another enemy BG you can always attack, kill the routed group and then just retreat from the second battle only losing a morale point. Also you can almost always win by CV sniping if your BG has recon helis so if a battle seems impossible try to hunt their CVs. Also avoid using danish BGs as they have no effective AA and crappy planes so if one heli shows up the best you can do is hunker down for a draw.

I would have liked 30 minute rather than 20 minute battles as it would allow better tactics but overall I liked the difficulty. It forces hard decisions. You have to be ready to give ground against the overwhelming strength the AI can concentrate.

DoktorvonWer
General

Postby DoktorvonWer » Mon 10 Jun 2013 00:36

themediocrity wrote:I would have liked 30 minute rather than 20 minute battles as it would allow better tactics but overall I liked the difficulty. It forces hard decisions. You have to be ready to give ground against the overwhelming strength the AI can concentrate.

Another big problem with the 20 minutes is that, if the AI detects that it is losing at all, instead of adapting or trying to fight back, it will literally run to the edge of the map and hide from you to try and stop you from scoring points.

I chased half the enemy army to the LITERAL EDGE of the map the other day, where it just sat where the map 'edge' falls off and there's just blank space beyond.

AeRoTR
Private

Postby AeRoTR » Mon 10 Jun 2013 13:51

"schaefsky" I totally agree with you. Main reason for me to pay money for this game, was the campaign mode. Now I feel like... stupid ? I was trusting Eugene because they were working hard to improve EE. Now I cant even find a reply post from devs about the broken campaign.

Kocrachon
Corporal

Postby Kocrachon » Mon 10 Jun 2013 16:39

To be fair, as a person who was a game tester for a while, a lack of acknowledgement is not a lack of work. In a scenario like this where they may need to do a pretty large over haul, they reserve statements for when they are further along in the process so they can have more to report.

mihai22
Corporal

Postby mihai22 » Thu 28 Apr 2016 18:48

themediocrity wrote:Even if they retreat to a sector with another enemy BG you can always attack, kill the routed group and then just retreat from the second battle only losing a morale point.

Also you can almost always win by CV sniping if your BG has recon helis so if a battle seems impossible try to hunt their CVs. I would have liked 30 minute rather than 20 minute battles as it would allow better tactics but overall I liked the difficulty.

The campaign play very differently with the latest patch. It's impossible to apply the stuff you describe here because in 2-3 minutes the AI now fields ~6-7 CVs. Also spams a lot of units, which attack relentlessly, so you'll be forced to win on points and very quickly. I think the "medium" AI gets 2x deployment bonus; I have made a separate thread where I explained my calculation in that respect. For an example of blitz experience I had, the first (Aarhus) fight in the Oslo campaign was over in 2:30 for me (that's 2m 30s) and I won on destruction points (1700). I had planned to send a command tank to neuter his retreat route (and had it deployed on the leftmost point on the highway), but it proved impossible for it to even get to its destination before the battle was over on points. Waves and waves of T55s, BMPs, helicopters and planes (shot down 6 or 7) the DDR threw at me. I have yet to play a battle that took more than 10 minutes; the longest was against the Polish group, which proved a bit campy. They just massed their army in one blob but didn't advance. I guess the rivers confused the AI or something; that was on the Malmo map. And about the CV spam; on the Stavanger map the AI had 9 CV on the map by the 4 minute mark; I know by counting the number of zone it occupied plus the CVs I could see on the move.

Also, you can no longer kill a routed BG without a fight if it has an allied one in the zone where it retreats to. The DDR group retreated/routed to Stavanger, but there was an fresh Soviet group there, which I had to fight when I pursued them the next day. The DDR group although present on the same zone did not disband, but did not fight that day (when they were in routed condition) either. It did fight me the next day, and then it started totally surrounded (all reinforcement zones controlled by me).

Vulcan 607
Major-General

Postby Vulcan 607 » Thu 28 Apr 2016 19:54

If you struggle with fortress Oslo I like to start with the 82nd attacking the last capital and moving the 1st infantry up then deploy the French marines

mihai22
Corporal

Postby mihai22 » Sat 30 Apr 2016 02:54

Vulcan 607 wrote:If you struggle with fortress Oslo I like to start with the 82nd attacking the last capital and moving the 1st infantry up then deploy the French marines

I'm not struggling mate, I won on day 5: http://imgur.com/0t31vbt Basically liberate 2 capitals and kill the southermost 4 battle groups gives 2x50+(20+30+40+30) = 220 points. I only had 3 BGs of my own deployed.

The Oslo campaign is actually easy once you understand the [rather questionable] game mechanics. However, the campaigns and general unit balance feel (to me) like devised by some French Trotskyist with fantasies of Soviet worldwide domination. A 30-PP Soviet Guards motorized group has much better equipment than a 30-PP NATO counterpart. Never mind the ever better Soviet groups chockful of the T80 supertank variants (some of which are 2x as good as an Abrams in this game) which have no NATO counterpart, etc.

Here a few more tips for the Oslo campaign gathered from my playthough:

• The AI always seems to drop bombs and then chem weapons on the 1st Inf. Brigade. So always air-cover that one. Although the in-game description is not clear about it, air cover does seem to counter chem weapons as well; I did a couple of reloads to confirm this. I'm not entirely sure why the AI always seems to target the 1st Inf. with strategic strikes; perhaps because they were the highest value (40 PP) BG I had deployed.
• Since naval bombardments and the like are area-based, wait until the AI puts 2 BGs in Malmo, then bomb them and attack them. Two 1000-point wins are easy enough to pull on that map even with the 3rd Commando Brigade; arty the enemy blobs & ATGM creep on them if they camp. The AI usually counters that with his airforce, which kills a 20-point jeep or two and dies in droves if you deploy all the Rapiers you have at your disposal. When both BGs are routed, pursue and destroy without additional fights.
• The AI sometimes vacates Oslo without a fight (pulling back to Karlstad) if you land on Goteborg. Landing there is desirable for several other reasons: its ajacent to Oslo and also to one of the two possible retreat zones for the BGs in Malmo. It's also worth 4 PPs that can be gained without a fight and nets you an airfield although the usefulness of that seem questionable; no friendly units seems to be able to make use of it to deploy there when they otherwise couldn't, although it might prevent some enemy airlifted troops from deploying there. The AI always seem to send their T80+VDVs BG from Stockholm to take back Goteborg, even against a weak BG like the 9e DIMa. You can lock that bad boy BG in place (say at Orebro) with commandos. The AI seems clueless about ever using security troops, even after getting hit with commando raids repeatedly in the same place. My plan was to eventually fight those bad boys at Goteborg with the 4th MAB, which have a lot of good heli-borne and aircraft-based ATGMs, but the campaign ended before I had the need to do that.
• The most important tip is to do a land-grab on the strategic map as soon as possible. That gives you much needed PPs and denies them to the enemy. My schedule was Copenhagen+Aarhus on day 0 (that give you 10PP/turn). Then Malmo, Stavanger, Goteborg prety much at the same time, which increases income to 20PP/turn. Due to a probable game bug, Malmo may not actually get captured if you double win there, but don't sit another day on it just to capture it; attack the routed BGs then retreat for the capture to register. Finally take Oslo and possibly Bergen, although if you destroy enough BGs (4) then campaign will end before capturing Bergen will start to net you any PPs.

On the flip side, if somebody wants to see total noobs in action (as well nice example of user frustration): day 11 and still stuck in Danemark https://youtu.be/5KcPJr1PolM?t=10402