Unit quotes and translations

Graphic
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Re: Unit quotes and translations

Postby Graphic » Mon 4 Nov 2013 04:15

To Eugen:

I will pay $50 for a DLC that replaces all Marine unit voice lines with lines recorded by Sgt. Maj. John Sixta: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oF0XYRhRvA
k

Guggy
General

Postby Guggy » Mon 4 Nov 2013 04:38

Graphic wrote:To Eugen:

I will pay $50 for a DLC that replaces all Marine unit voice lines with lines recorded by Sgt. Maj. John Sixta: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oF0XYRhRvA

Seconded in full.

ericdude88
Captain

Postby ericdude88 » Mon 4 Nov 2013 04:44

Would sound awkward when he has to ask "Why do I get the feeling that you're going to put our lives at risk?"

Kraxis
Major-General

Postby Kraxis » Mon 4 Nov 2013 05:13

ericdude88 wrote:

Would sound awkward when he has to ask "Why do I get the feeling that you're going to put our lives at risk?"

He would say: "Yes, Marines will advance until told to stop!" or "Marines don't die unless permission is given!"
[EUG]MadMat wrote:MadMat says so many things ... :twisted:

Bryan
General

Postby Bryan » Mon 4 Nov 2013 06:30

Kraxis wrote:I'm pretty meh at the Danish voice actor... Some of the lines are pretty poor, but that's not his fault. They are perfect direct translations, but as functional lines they come across as foreign (to a person with limited or no military knowledge they might sounds ok enough). The voice itself sounds like he has absolutely no idea what he is talking about. I can literally hear the big ? above his head. He also sounds like he really can't be bothered, there is absolutely no pride/humour/feeling in his voice. Add to that that his actual voice is like a bench-boozer, drawing the words out when in the military the speech patterns are pretty damn crisp, and thus it all becomes quite unsatisfactory. However, to me it is a small part of the game.

Interestingly I believe the same guy actually provided the Danish voice for World in Conflict as well. And was equally poor there. Thankfully there was only one unit with a Danish voice, and it was very marginal at that as well. So again not important.

The German and Russian voice actors sound absolutely wonderful. They give off emotions in their performance, or rather they give a damn. Obviously I know jack about the actual sentences for the Russian units, but the inflection sounds good to me.

The Swedish voice is slightly better than the Danish (I'm half-Swedish so I have been exposed to Swedish my whole life), but I can't comment on the actual sentences being what they would say in the military. He gives off a certain aloofness however, and that drives the value down. He comes off as a pencilpusher to be more specific, which is somewhat amusing. But there are times when it sounds good.

Which World in Conflict unit is Danish?

Kraxis
Major-General

Postby Kraxis » Mon 4 Nov 2013 16:30

A small jeep-like unit. You get access to them in the first mission in France where you have to capture a coastal town.
[EUG]MadMat wrote:MadMat says so many things ... :twisted:

CoLTe
Sergeant

Postby CoLTe » Mon 4 Nov 2013 18:05

EricTerminator wrote:
Col_Sandfurz wrote:"Warum habe ich das Gefühl das sie gleich unser Leben auf's Spiel setzen werden".
already have found out the english translation: "Why do I have the feeling you're about to put our lives at risk"

@Deutschlehrer: Ich bin mies in Rechtschreibung, wenn ich "das" und "dass" vertauscht habe: Schande über mich!! :lol:

"DASS SIE" !!!! "Das" before a name, "dass" when you need to connect 2 sentences.

Bryan wrote:West German
Feuer bereit, Kommandant! - Ready to fire commander!
Einsatz berei, Kommandant!- Ready for action commander!

French
C'est parti!- Lets go!
On y va!- On the way!

Fixed.

In this case "dass" is correct, but your explanation is not. A "das" can connect sentences also. But I have no idea how to explain the rules behind it in english ;), would certainly take a while. Also it's "feuerbereit" and "einsatzbereit".

Azkylon
Staff Sergeant

Postby Azkylon » Mon 4 Nov 2013 19:22

CoLTe wrote:In this case "dass" is correct, but your explanation is not. A "das" can connect sentences also. But I have no idea how to explain the rules behind it in english ;), would certainly take a while. Also it's "feuerbereit" and "einsatzbereit".

"das" connects sentences if it can be replaced by "dieses", "welches" or "jenes" /which all translate roughly to "which" to keep it simple.
"dass" connects sentences if it can't be replaced by mentioned.
"daß" connects sentences if your an oldtimer and don't care about new language rules :roll:

To be a bit more exact "das" is used if you refer directly to a noun (in which case the comma is more of a accident, you would usually have used it with or without) while "dass" is typically used to start a subordinate clause.

Cross88
Master Sergeant

Postby Cross88 » Mon 4 Nov 2013 23:21

God it's annoying when a unit is standing near fire. It says "trouble!" over and over and over again. Damn it, I'm busy right now! I don't have time to tell you to move 10 meters!

FUBAR1939
Warrant Officer

Postby FUBAR1939 » Tue 5 Nov 2013 00:42

The best one IMO is the UK Fusiliers: "You are in the combat zone right now".

Return to “Wargame : AirLand Battle”