I was asked to bring forth my own suggestion... I did it couple of times already in this thread. But this:
Was actually a suggestion. And because apparently Eugen doesn't like timers let me rephrase it:praslovan wrote:I understand situation like this:
- Enemy has managed to push me out of income stalemate.
- Because I don't act or I get driven back while trying to reclaim that sector in the next 10 or whatever minutes I loose (moving CVs for a couple of seconds to dodge blind arty doesn't resets the timer).
- More sectors I loose less time time I have to counter attack
- Because I got driven back all the way to my initial sector I loose, even though attacker sustained 2:1 while doing that
Things to consider for competitive/ranked game mode :
- Only slightly "fixing" destruction will not work... it is too basic
- Every map has a stalemate. Territorial or income one. And every one race in the start to achieve that foot hold form where they can then attack, or not. This will not go away.
- Camping happens because of those stalemates
- You can't have bonuses on victory conditions especially ones that can fluctuate in small time frame for enormous amount... like kills
- Bonuses can help you with achieving victory, but not directly influencing it like in your case Deuzerre. That is just broken because balancing that bonus is a difficult task.
- Income is quite high so loosing only 1 sector is not really enormous disadvantage (well ok depends on the sector)
- Apologising certain thing by saying: "You shouldn't play like that but like that... look at me I do it in the right way." when there is no "right way" is just stupid. If you want people to play right in the that certain way, you have to make exact rules for them to obey.
So this is my suggestion for ranked game mode:
- 40 min time limit
- kills don't count... you can't expect people to attack if they have to take care of every little loss they might get in the process
- kill points are substituted with victory points. How to obtain them will be explained in this post
How to win:
- Kill all enemy CVs
- What would be a fair idea of a victory condition? Something like:
a) Every map has an income stalemate that normally represents 1/2 of the map territory. (already said that 1000x)
b) People should win when they go over their 1/2 of the map into enemy side.
c) More aggressive they are in doing that, faster they win.
d) Team that has "invaders" on their side should not be penalised right away but in certain time forced to act
e) If they fail in doing that they should have a chance to do that again as long as they didn't delay acting for too long
So in conclusion... how to proclaim the winner?
Answer: If he went into enemy half of the map and stayed there for a certain amount of time or completely destroy his enemy. That person is a winner.
- Sectors that are braking the stalemate (meaning on the enemy half of the map) are the key.
- Now they give you income advantage only, but they should give you a win as well
Red line marks stalemate that normally happens on this map. If you, dear reader of this post, find yourself in control of more than that for most of the match, then congratulations. You have won. Or at least you should have.
You can call them political points as well. Because they sound cooler. And a better story can be made behind them compared to plain "victory" points + we already "have" them in the game.
- You score political points by moving inside, what should be, enemy sectors.
- When you score certain amount of political points you win
- If you don't but your enemy doesn't as well after 40 min then you draw
Fool proof explanation on example:
Look at the picture in example spoiler:
- If white team moves into red sector 3 they are braking the stalemate and scoring political points.
- If they are really in momentum and they push and secure red sector 2 as well, they score political points faster
- If they get pushed off both sectors in successful red counter offensive they don't loose political points. That promotes aggressive counter counter attacks in cases of close victory.
Questions that are up for debate:
-Should sectors that are above stalemate provide an income as well?
I think they shouldn't... well all depends on maps I guess... but income is high enough already and loosing team is down on it. No need on super income + that makes loosing team at least have some chance to organise an counter attack.
- Should reinforcement sectors that are above stalemate provide reinforcement points?
I think they should. Although it would be interesting to see what would happen if they don't.
- How big should political point limit till victory be?
In pub games it should be able to be set just like kill points.
In ranked it should depend on what kind of sectors there are on the map.
This is not EE conquest... there are no new sectors... sectors you are after if you want to win are sectors enemy needs for cash.
So there you have it. Something that would be easy to change. And makes a lot more sense to me than those - kill points.
For clear explanation read this post (same thread only on other page).