Helicopter fast roping

Haveatya
Sergeant

Helicopter fast roping

Postby Haveatya » Mon 24 Jun 2013 04:48

I believe that special forces units should be able to fast rope from helicopters in W:AB, here are my reasons...

1) Deploying recon forces or elite units directly into woods or onto mountains is realistic and happens often.
2) It would not be hard to add to the game as you would only need to add ropes coming down from the helicopter
3) Add the added possibility of actual Special Forces Operations as you can deploy Deltas or SAS or Spetsnaz in secluded areas

Sure that is not a ton of reasons but the addition of this mechanic would add yet another of realism to the game and for those of us who prefer infantry (elite infantry more precisely) in aggressive tactics and/or sabotage operations would enjoy this option.

I am sure someone will cry foul play through a similar response to "But that wouldn't be fair! They could come up behind me!" But I find this inappropriate and can this whole idea of deploying infantry into woods or onto mountains can be canceled by a single AAA unit.

I would like to hear responses from others on their opinion of this. Thanks for looking! :D

Corsair
Lieutenant

Re: Helicopter fast roping

Postby Corsair » Mon 24 Jun 2013 04:49

Devs already answered that fast roping was not a used doctrine in the 80s - it would be also very dangerous in intense firefights (helicopter very exposed - "Hey Shilka, look at me ! I'm stationary !")..
Last edited by Corsair on Mon 24 Jun 2013 04:50, edited 2 times in total.

orcbuster
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby orcbuster » Mon 24 Jun 2013 04:49

was not widely used at the time. Only ones who did it was the SAS.
Viker for ingen!

solaris
Lieutenant

Postby solaris » Mon 24 Jun 2013 05:03

Corsair wrote: it would be also very dangerous in intense firefights (helicopter very exposed - "Hey Shilka, look at me ! I'm stationary !")..

Do you know what else is dangerous? "Let's take ten minutes to land!"
Anecdotes do not count for game balance.

panzersaurkrautwefer
Major-General

Postby panzersaurkrautwefer » Mon 24 Jun 2013 05:09

IRL landing is faster, but more demanding of the landing site (so rough terrain, trees, buildings etc either force the assault force to land farther away, or take more time coming down).

A good, if not likely fix would be having the "land" command give a footprint and require you pick a clear spot before the helicopter commits to coming down, thus cutting out the slow floaty "maybe I could land?" behavior helicopters have now.

Fast roping however, as stated earlier is out of timeframe, and not really "faster" in reality.
Do I look like a reasonable man to you, or a peppermint nightmare?

Corsair
Lieutenant

Postby Corsair » Mon 24 Jun 2013 05:10

Assault landing are faster than fast roping. But it's kinda broken in game since helos are cutting engine, and taking ages to reach ground :?

busboy
Warrant Officer

Postby busboy » Mon 24 Jun 2013 05:13

Yea, this about covers it. Fast roping is a way to insert very well trained infantry into places without an appropriate LZ such as urban areas with a low risk of an ADA threat.

Its not only out of time for the game, its also not really appropriate for the scope of the game.

Chesnok
Command Sergeant Major

Postby Chesnok » Mon 24 Jun 2013 05:31

I'd just like to mention that when I set up helo commands using "shift" to link orders, I never have a slow landing.

For example, click on the helo, and (while holding down shift) click to move, unload, click to move back to wherever you want helo transport to end up. Setting up the orders in advance works very well for me.

The result: my transport helos fly to the destination, land quickly, unload, then take off IMMEDIATELY to fly to the next waypoint.

I believe the issues with slow unloading don't crop up as much when orders are chained together. Anyone else?

Grunt
Sergeant First-Class

Postby Grunt » Mon 24 Jun 2013 05:33

I find that clicking Land then clicking Unload speeds up the unloading process. I don't know why but it works.

It's slower for choppers in groups though because one chopper has to wait for the other to land before unloading any troops. If it's single choppers though, clicking Land then Unload makes them unload the infantry very quickly.

EliteSniper
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby EliteSniper » Mon 24 Jun 2013 07:12

solaris wrote:
Corsair wrote: it would be also very dangerous in intense firefights (helicopter very exposed - "Hey Shilka, look at me ! I'm stationary !")..

Do you know what else is dangerous? "Let's take ten minutes to land!"

Sorry that's false. They updated it and now it takes 5 seconds to land and if you haven't noticed, most of the time the helicopter is hovering while troops are unloaded. Meant for quick entry and quick exit. If you want me to make a replay I will just to prove it. The only ones that don't hover 80% of the time is the Chinook, because in real life the Chinook had to land to keep it stable.

Blackhawks didn't really implement fast roping till the early 90s.

Return to “Wargame : AirLand Battle”