M270 MLRS USA only

Brutoni
Colonel

M270 MLRS USA only

Postby Brutoni » Thu 4 Jul 2013 14:53

Quick pondering... Given that the M270 MLRS was developed jointly by the United Kingdom, United States, Germany, and France why is it unavailable to the UK. Obviously the German version is MARS which I believe is in the game? (German players feel free to correct me)

Especially as I know for a fact that the 39th Regiment Royal Artillery had their 1st operational deployment of the M270 MLRS in 1989... I believe the operational deployment was Saudi Arabia.

EDIT:
As with Phantom and several other units in game this is another example of a unit that could be included to make the game less USSR and USA centric without adding a unit to the game. Sometimes not even a reskin is required.
ImageImage

DeuZerre
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!
Location: Universe, Galaxy, Solar System, Earth, Ground, Eurasian Continent, Main Landmass.

Re: M270 MLRS USA only

Postby DeuZerre » Thu 4 Jul 2013 14:56

You said 1989, but the game's around 1975-1985 (with some exceptions).

Not like it's a great artillery (in game) honestly.
Marshal honoris causa
FLX wrote:Removing the weaknesses from the divisions leads to all divisions being the same in the long run. We won't proceed like that.

Brutoni
Colonel

Postby Brutoni » Thu 4 Jul 2013 15:03

DeuZerre wrote:You said 1989, but the game's around 1975-1985 (with some exceptions).

Not like it's a great artillery (in game) honestly.

I gave an example of the first combat operational deployment. No doubt the regiment would have had a year (at least) to train up. Before that they would have had time to quality assure the MLRS that arrived. This means that really you are already looking at a possible 1987 hand over date. This is of course conjecture but it would fit the length of time it takes the MOD to put kit into service without any combat scenario. I also feel inclined to relate to the CHARM project. The gun was started as early as 1988 and the ammunition was available before 1990 I believe. The ERA was certainly also available. However the funding of the project wasn't made totally available so it happened slowly. As soon as the gulf war looked likely to happen every single front line unit in the Gulf War was converted within the space of a year and before operations. The British government does indeed release the funds required if it really is necessary.

Given the fact that your game is after the events of WG:EE I don't feel it would be totally unrealistic that projects like the MLRS would have been fast tracked. As for 1985 with some notable exceptions! :lol: There are a seriously large number of post 1985 prototypes in this game. With many having dates of 1989, 1990 and 1991 for enter service never mind first operational tour.

It would be nice if the decisions for units was better explained because in many cases the choices made seem a little...weird. As I said, just a pondering.
ImageImage

[EUG]MadMat
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby [EUG]MadMat » Thu 4 Jul 2013 15:09

USA only fielded theirs very late in our timeframe (1984, if I recall) while other nations (France, Germany & UK) would have theirs only in the late 80's.

theBLUBinYou
Lieutenant

Postby theBLUBinYou » Thu 4 Jul 2013 15:13

[EUG]MadMat wrote:USA only fielded theirs very late in our timeframe (1984, if I recall) while other nations (France, Germany & UK) would have theirs only in the late 80's.

I think Germany had the first MARS (German designation for it) operational in the early 90s. BTW we have the LARS as rocket artillery system so it wouldnt be a great a addition.

urielventis
Sergeant Major

Postby urielventis » Thu 4 Jul 2013 15:14

In fact during Gulf War one, french army was testing and training their first MLRS unit. So we give our rocket stock to the US so than can fire more!

So for other nation, even as prototype, it is quite doubtfull.

But can we have cluster in MLRS ? Only 1AP HEAT and 1 HE but with an enormous AoE :oops: please
ImageImage

Brutoni
Colonel

Postby Brutoni » Thu 4 Jul 2013 15:16

Fair enough with France and Germany. Point still stands, first operational tour in 1989. Yet tanks from 1991 are present in the game. Aircraft from 1989. And other such prototypes. Given that the British M270 was the same thing it seems unlikely that production wouldn't have been rushed.

Interesting to know the reasons why though. Thanks for the info.
ImageImage

Return to “Wargame : AirLand Battle”