Infantry vs Tanks - What Happened?

Bryan
General

Re: Infantry vs Tanks - What Happened?

Postby Bryan » Fri 12 Jul 2013 08:17

orcbuster wrote:
Shimmler wrote:LOL on this thread.

Panicked infantry without accuracy penalty was a game-breaking bug: 40 people could hold of aganst several tank squads - and that's complete BS.

I've participated in several exercises against armour. Our company (dug in) once held off A reinforced armoured battalion gor 24 hours inflicting enough casualties on them to render them combat ineffective.

What did you use?
Carl Gustavs?
ATGMS?
Just out if curiosity.

Hidden Gunman
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Hidden Gunman » Fri 12 Jul 2013 08:24

I am not seeing much difference, quite honestly, and today is the first serious play I've put in since 'the patch'. My Sov mossi's are still doing what I expect of them, although they are dying somewhat faster if things turn sour.

Edit:

Not being nasty, but exercises aren't exactly the most accurate portrayal of actual weapon/military performance...if they were, the French would still be holding out in the Maginot Line.
A Firefly killed Wittman...

It's a 17lbr, not a 76.2mm.

orcbuster
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby orcbuster » Fri 12 Jul 2013 08:30

We were equipped with RFK (norwegian designation for the carl gustav) and M72s. We had had some javelins in an attached platoon and airsupport as well. they had armoured engineers mortars and Airsupport (who never found us). They knew we were there and came straight at us. for this exercise we were using simulation laser gear on all weapons and vehicles, we were wearing vests that can accuratly pinpoint where on the body you've been hit. Looked something like this.

Last edited by orcbuster on Fri 12 Jul 2013 08:50, edited 1 time in total.
Viker for ingen!

FUBAR1939
Warrant Officer

Postby FUBAR1939 » Fri 12 Jul 2013 08:35

Holy -, its not the same game. Really Inf is useless even in the woods, even inside buildings. Damn, there is any hope they can fix that?

Seriously, just spam tanks and you will be fine. The only inf that i see some use is blowpipe.

Damn, I should have bought CoH2.

But I still have some hope that they will fix this, a little hope or this game just passed to absolutely amazing to another CASH BURN.
Last edited by Shifu on Fri 12 Jul 2013 15:29, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: language

Amatiel
Command Sergeant Major

Postby Amatiel » Fri 12 Jul 2013 09:02

Whilst the jury is still out for me on whether this change is for the better or not (obviously needs more tweaking),
It really surprises me that something like this wasnt fixed in the beta, and has been an ongoing problem since release which is some months now.

Eugen needs to get it together, game changing/breaking fixes like this shouldnt be happening this long after release.

Shimmler
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby Shimmler » Fri 12 Jul 2013 09:03

orcbuster wrote:We were equipped with RFK (norwegian designation for the carl gustav) and M72s. We had had some javelins in an attached platoon and airsupport as well. they had armoured engineers mortars and Airsupport (who never found us). They knew we were there and came straight at us. for this exercise we were using simulation laser gear on all weapons and vehicles, we were wearing vests that can accuratly pinpoint where on the body you've been hit. Looked something like this.

Can I ask you a question?
How many people did you ahve in your company and how many tanks were there in that battalion?

StormTalon627
Master Sergeant

Postby StormTalon627 » Fri 12 Jul 2013 09:06

Phaeton wrote:Yesterday I play ranked. My initial group is fighters + infantry. My infantry group storms the town in the center of the map. My group consisting of:
3 Motostrelki in BTR-60PA1
3 Motostrelki in BTR-60PA1
2 Konkurs in BTR-60PA1
2 Iglas in BTR-60PA1
1 Spetsnaz VMF in BTR-60PA1
1 Spetsnaz in BTR-60PA1

I face enemy group near the town. Firefight proceed inside the town. Enemy group consisting of:

4 MBT70 or Starship
4 MBT70 or Starship
2 PIVADs
2 PIVADs
2 American choppers with rockets, cheap
1 Armored reckon vehicle

I win this firefight, completely destroy enemy forces. I have taken heavy losses, but capture town - major point on the battlefield.
I remain 3 Motostrelki and both Spetsnaz, and 4 BTRs.

I can provide replay in the evening. So, my point is: infantry strong, even now. It is capable of assaulting towns effectively. It is cheap, and that is very important. It is stealthy. So, I can't see grounds for doom propheting. Infantry works and I like it.

You are certainly right for this is how inf SHOULD work, but wrong in one thing: Patch went live on Thursday, the day after your amazing match, aka today which is the day you posted. I highly suggest you try this same tactic today or tomorrow. In fact, I would be willing to test it with you, and I guarantee you could fortify the entirety of Copenhagen with inf and I will still take the entire city with 4 squads of T34s or 2 squads of T55s with maybe one or two tank losses, and that is getting within your inf's LAW range. Pick your forest, and I can take the entire thing, swarming with inf, with 2 tanks, I know for I have been doing this all night long. Don't believe me? Try it for yourself mate, its a sad sight to see this game turn into starcraft though I am confident the devs will fix it (I just hope they really FIX it).

EDIT: By tank squad I mean a squad of 2 tanks, for that is normally how I operate with armor. Sorry for any confusion ;)
Last edited by StormTalon627 on Fri 12 Jul 2013 09:18, edited 1 time in total.

EliteSniper
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby EliteSniper » Fri 12 Jul 2013 09:15

After my friend convincing me not to give up we just played a match. You'll never believe this, but 2 T-72s just took out 12 squads of infantry dug in to a town. This is like Spetsnaz vs every infantry. Takes no loses but destroys all in it's path. It needs to be fixed.

StormTalon627
Master Sergeant

Postby StormTalon627 » Fri 12 Jul 2013 09:16

It would be nice if a Dev would stop by and add to the conversation (hopefully it will cool some people down). Is this the way inf should function or is this just an unfortunate by-product of the bug fix that will soon be fixed itself? Will we see infantry restored to their place as a critical element of the combined arms team, and allow national decks that clearly rely on them to be feasible once more? I love this game for that very reason, no one unit is its own show (well it shouldn't be) for this isn't starcraft and never should be. The tank had its element and infantry had theirs, and they formed a unique, dynamic relationship where each was the other's worst nightmare in the right condition. Let us know Eugen! We are waiting! :D

orcbuster
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby orcbuster » Fri 12 Jul 2013 09:17

Shimmler wrote:
orcbuster wrote:We were equipped with RFK (norwegian designation for the carl gustav) and M72s. We had had some javelins in an attached platoon and airsupport as well. they had armoured engineers mortars and Airsupport (who never found us). They knew we were there and came straight at us. for this exercise we were using simulation laser gear on all weapons and vehicles, we were wearing vests that can accuratly pinpoint where on the body you've been hit. Looked something like this.

Can I ask you a question?
How many people did you ahve in your company and how many tanks were there in that battalion?

we were 3 platoons of regular infantry (usually were 2 but we had a platoon from C company attached) without transports (m113s were at the garage still awaiting delivery even though we were promised them a month before) so something like 100, maybe 150 if you count the support elements.

we were up against these guys. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegia ... _Battalion so something like 12 LEO2A4s
and 20 CV9030s loaded with infantry.
Viker for ingen!

Return to “Wargame : AirLand Battle”