Infantry vs Tanks - What Happened?

EliteSniper
Chief Warrant Officer

Re: Infantry vs Tanks - What Happened?

Postby EliteSniper » Sat 13 Jul 2013 05:14

QT3.14159 wrote:
You really hit the nail on the head. It makes no sense that infantry take so much more damage than you would expect. Been watching Band of Brothers and even taking artistic licence into account the loses they take are way less than those taken by a similarly sized force in ALB. Modern tech or no a squad of veteran infantry (e.g. Legion) would not be shredded by auto-cannon fire, they are all veteran soldiers they would take cover, even if that means ducking. Infantry in ALB act more like zombies than human beings, the charge in neat (circular?) formation and never even simulate taking cover. It baffles me, veteran infantry and they don't even know how to crotch.

Would have to agree with you. This isn't 1775 where we did stand up and aim at the other infantry without taking cover then receive the order to fire and die at the same time. Infantry should be just as effective as tanks are. Tanks rule the open ground, where infantry rules the urban/forest areas. In this game it's completely different since this last patch, Tanks rules forest, urban, and open fields where infantry rules urban against other infantry, and forest against other infantry.

There's a reason why we send soldiers through training, and that is to get them preped for battle and not to panick and run at the first sign of danger......

Vasily Krysov
Colonel

Postby Vasily Krysov » Sat 13 Jul 2013 05:24

EliteSniper wrote:3. Tanks have their optics turned off like jets do, and need recon in order to spot enemy units.

Even for you, this is a beyond terrible idea. :)

orcbuster
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby orcbuster » Sat 13 Jul 2013 05:28

just played my first game in a month, stormere are still awesome in urban combat. Killed T80BVs like no-ones beeswax. 1-5 kill ratio. Might be because they were noobs though. In any case, norway is still viable ;)

Now GIVE ME THAT NOAH and I will make it sing.
Viker for ingen!

FUBAR1939
Warrant Officer

Postby FUBAR1939 » Sat 13 Jul 2013 06:35

Hey, You know what?! (Fword)ed it. I'm going to still play this with my infantry base decks, I guess I'm going to lose all my games, I hope my squad mates spam tanks.
To bad I have 100% of sure they woun't going to fix the infantry like it was before.

R.I.P Infantry.

Mako
General

Postby Mako » Sat 13 Jul 2013 07:46

Vasily Krysov wrote:
EliteSniper wrote:3. Tanks have their optics turned off like jets do, and need recon in order to spot enemy units.

+1

Why would that... I... no...
If there's two kinds of players, those that like challenges and those that want a fair game, pubstomps should make everyone happy.

TankHunter
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby TankHunter » Sat 13 Jul 2013 07:56

Infantry still perform well. I generally run Cat C/B decks to get tons of Vet infantry as PACT. Infantry still perform fine against armor, provided they are spread out and hitting the armor from at least 2 angles. You can even kill M1A1 with just 2 or 3 squads of (highest possible vet, of course) Motorstrelki by spreading them out, and since NATO tanks have pitiful HE power, the "bait squad can eat at least 4 shots.

And as others have stated, always support infantry with armor, whether it be their IFVs, some recoilless rifles, or an assault gun like the Norov or Kanonenjagdpanzer. USMC with their LAV-25s can singlehandedly turn a forest into a death trap for unsuspecting enemy forces, or for piecemeal attacks with little support. However, arty or bombing runs will slaughter them.
"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everybody else, and nobody was going to bomb them [. . .] They sowed the wind, and now, they are going to reap the whirlwind."

naizarak
Captain

Postby naizarak » Sat 13 Jul 2013 08:09

Vasily Krysov wrote:

He probably means they have their optics "turned off", or degraded to the point of uselessness, in urban and forested areas. Which would make sense.

Either way something has to be done to nerf tanks in CQC combat because their perfect situational awareness and instant response times butcher infantry.

Hidden Gunman
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Hidden Gunman » Sat 13 Jul 2013 09:52

Vasily and I had a bash this afternoon, and despite getting wiped all over the floor, the standouts were my infantry squads...and, please take note, they were basic US line grunts. In one game one squad managed to take down 3 BTR60's, 1 Mostrelki, 1 (something with an F, I suspect anti-armour inf), and 2 or 3 T55As and a couple of other things.
A Firefly killed Wittman...

It's a 17lbr, not a 76.2mm.

Doeko
Master Sergeant

Postby Doeko » Sat 13 Jul 2013 09:53

Also a few games ago I had a marinejegeer in a little forest with a bradley next to them. They spotted the Bradley first (which you would expect given the optics disparity), stunned it with the first shot (as you would expect) and destroyed it with the second. Had an infantry platoon been near it, this would have resulted in my loss. Either way I wouldn't expect to be able to do that to a heavy tank unless I snuck around it and shot a round in its rear.

Return to “Wargame : AirLand Battle”