Panicked infantry in buildings and forests.

Keinutnai
Lieutenant

Panicked infantry in buildings and forests.

Postby Keinutnai » Fri 12 Jul 2013 17:52

When infantry is pinned down by heavy fire and frightened, they are not going to spend much time exposing their heads out of the windows and shooting, but instead they will hide and check the pants they wet when a grenade almost killed them. They wont shoot but they will also die much slower until they calm down by 2 levels.

Because panicked units will hide in the building or forest until they calm down or if they see someone enter the same room as them.

Therefore I suggest that panicked infantry will either stop shooting for short time until they recover from panic (calm down by 2 levels) and during this time they suffer much less casualties (suffer only 25% of casualties by bullets and 50% by tank cannons and similar weapons, 100% by bombs and arty).

Or you make them immune to bulletfire while they are panicked and cannot shoot. This would not apply to open ground. Only forest and buildings.

This would make the game much more realistic. It wouldnt be much effort to code either.
There should also be an option to hide infantry in buildings. But to hide them for real. By clicking the hide button. The inf would hide in the cella lose line of sight, not engage units in range until hiding is turned of or enemy infantry enters the building.
Wargame 4 - Balkan at War - New Countries: Italy, Spain, Greece & Turkey versus Yugoslavia, Bulgaria, Hungary & Romania!

Hungreh
Sergeant First-Class

Re: Panicked infantry in buildings and forests.

Postby Hungreh » Fri 12 Jul 2013 19:38

Pretty realistic, but this would also make it very annoying to take towns without napalm. But another factor to take is that this can make SMG's very useful like from paratroopers so that when they go CQC they get 150% effectiveness.
~1442

Doeko
Master Sergeant

Postby Doeko » Fri 12 Jul 2013 19:41

Would be ok game-wise if it also means they can't spot the vehicles outside for arty and airstrikes.

Either way an unnecessary extra complication and I don't think it's very trivial to add this game mechanic code wise at all.

EliteSniper
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby EliteSniper » Sat 13 Jul 2013 01:54

*Sarcasm starts*w0000t nerf them even more! Their pretty useless now, why not just make them utterly useless where they don't belong in this game.*Sarcasm ends*

VladK02
Sergeant Major

Postby VladK02 » Sat 13 Jul 2013 02:36

panicked infantry works fine for me. Before patch, after patch, all the same, my inf does just as well as it used to. My guys still ambush and kill tanks, still put up a fight in cities just fine. No problem.

zbone
Second-Lieutenant

Postby zbone » Sat 13 Jul 2013 02:50

I would think panicked infantry would be more immune to vehicles and not return fire but be also more vulnerable to another infantry.

Vasily Krysov
Colonel

Postby Vasily Krysov » Sat 13 Jul 2013 05:32

Has it ever occurred to people to let things sit for a week or two and find out how things truly settle? Balance is like flying a plane, you can't constantly jam the joystick all the time doing hard turns, if you keep doing that you stall and then crash and burn..

Infantry are still quite good and very useful!

EliteSniper
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby EliteSniper » Sat 13 Jul 2013 05:36

Vasily Krysov wrote:

Obviously, you haven't played a lot.

"let it settle down for a week"
After a week, people will get into the habbit of spamming T-55s to clear towns of 40+ infantry, then they will cry for it not to be nerfed.

Vasily Krysov
Colonel

Postby Vasily Krysov » Sat 13 Jul 2013 05:41

EliteSniper wrote:
Vasily Krysov wrote:

Obviously, you haven't played a lot.

"let it settle down for a week"
After a week, people will get into the habbit of spamming T-55s to clear towns of 40+ infantry, then they will cry for it not to be nerfed.

I think I've played more than someone who has reportedly quit the game. :)

Return to “Wargame : AirLand Battle”