Total destruction just encourage super turtle and griefing

naizarak
Captain

Re: Total destruction just encourage super turtle and griefi

Postby naizarak » Sat 20 Jul 2013 09:57

themediocrity wrote:don't play it if you don't like it? Not that your criticisms are invalid (all that stuff does sometimes happen in TD) but no one is forcing you to play TD if you hate it.

TD is the default game mode and the only one available in ranked. Not playing it is basically not playing the game at all.

Spoiler : :
Btw "don't play it if you don't like it" isn't a legitimate argument. Come up with something relevant

DarrickS
J'aime quand on me fait du mal

Postby DarrickS » Sat 20 Jul 2013 11:50

naizarak wrote:-regular destruction encourages nothing but turtling

-TD with a time limit is the same thing. it's basically impossible to achieve TD within 50/60 mins. The team with more points still wins. The team that plays defensively wins.

-TD with no time limit is the only one that forces attacking, but often time takes too long with most people quitting. Not practical at all.

What's the conclusion? Destruction is a fundamentally broken game mode.

GG. You have discovered something said to Eugen since the first steps of WEE.
Continue to ask for something else for against 2 or 3 years, they will maybe hear us someday...
Past, past is far.

praslovan
Major-General

Postby praslovan » Sat 20 Jul 2013 12:01

Any gamemode that uses quantities that can fluctuate greatly in small amount of time, and are tied to units on the ground directly, is a bad game mode.

May it be kills or income.

What will happen with arrival of conquest is people that like to camp, and only know that, will stay with destruction and everybody else moving on (hopefully not finding any structural weaknesses for abuse because there will not be any).

maxp779
First Sergeant

Postby maxp779 » Sat 20 Jul 2013 17:03

susi wrote:How some people get the illusion that total destruction will encourage attack? Yeah, it may works as the timer set to ultimate. But in this case, people can just grief you by hiding his last CV and say "I will just go cooking/call my gf/sleep, enjoy your 2hr seraching." See? Total destrucction without timer can be dirty. And also to play this kind game you will need a specialized deck otherwise you will probably run out of supply/infantry/tank/plane which will be unfair to the players who arent prepared for this kind situation.

But yes, you can always set up a timer to avoid this kind griefing. But then, what's the point of using the total destruction mode? After one side pushed the other side out of some main contest aeras, the game shoud have end if there's a point limit exist. But thanks to the total destruction mode, the other side now got the chance to hide behind their last few fortress in hope of you attack, make mistakes and then they may have a chance to win. See? Now it actually encourages the super turtle gameplay. But well for a decent rank player there's absolutely no problem to total destroy the enemy. But then a game should have end in 30 mins turn out to be a long boring 60 mins long match and definately no fun, you just repeatedly mirco, slowly pushing in. Noobs may enjoy destroy every last unit their enemy has but for me I just feel sick, totally waste of time. So right now I basicly avoid join any lobby with total destruction mode.

TL;DR:
TD isn't fair to unprepared players and encourage griefing, super turtle and sometimes just totally waste of time.

One simple fix. Make all enemy units visible when they lose their last sector. Fixes everything, so simple. Why this isn't implemented is beyond me...

Niscimble
Sergeant Major

Postby Niscimble » Sun 21 Jul 2013 03:28

maxp779 wrote:
One simple fix. Make all enemy units visible when they lose their last sector. Fixes everything, so simple. Why this isn't implemented is beyond me...

They would have to put a timer on it so it's not instant otherwise it would be even worse. It would only have to be a couple minutes or so.

Halfbodied Jish
First Sergeant

Postby Halfbodied Jish » Sun 21 Jul 2013 05:42

Niscimble wrote:
maxp779 wrote:

They would have to put a timer on it so it's not instant otherwise it would be even worse. It would only have to be a couple minutes or so.

Either this or make it so you have a ___ second timer ;til you lose if you don't have a territory controlled.

maxp779
First Sergeant

Postby maxp779 » Sun 21 Jul 2013 07:07

Niscimble wrote:
maxp779 wrote:

I don't see why it would be "even worse".

But yeah a timer of 1 minute would be fine. If they don't take a sector in 1 minute, all is revealed.

Poerisija
Staff Sergeant

Postby Poerisija » Sun 21 Jul 2013 11:55

TD is just a terrible game-mode overall. If I wanted to play RTS-esque-game where the game is lost when the opponent's swordsmen (in this case tanks) blow up my last farm/mine/peasant (in this game, CV), I wouldn't play W:ALB. One of the best things about Wargame has always been the fact that your units matter and you just can't throw Leo2a4's at your enemy and hope they matter. You HAVE to make those attacks count.

Timed TD is just taking potshots and camping for a loooong time.

BRUTIKUS
First Sergeant

Postby BRUTIKUS » Sun 21 Jul 2013 17:12

naizarak wrote:-regular destruction encourages nothing but turtling

-TD with a time limit is the same thing. it's basically impossible to achieve TD within 50/60 mins. The team with more points still wins. The team that plays defensively wins.

-TD with no time limit is the only one that forces attacking, but often time takes too long with most people quitting. Not practical at all.

What's the conclusion? Destruction is a fundamentally broken game mode.

COMRADE

It never take me longer 20 minute for win total destruction. That -- longest! It take 10 minute most time!

XAXAXAXAXAXAXAXAXA

Come face me TD, I show you!
Last edited by Graphic on Sun 21 Jul 2013 17:14, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Don't spam long unbroken strings of characters, they stretch out the forum.

Wargamer620
Warrant Officer

Postby Wargamer620 » Sun 21 Jul 2013 18:40

Be happy If they start to defend, it usually means they are inflexible and you can wear them down until they attempt something stupid and desperate, recon and arty are all you need to win then.
How to Make a Smokescreen Without Arty

Graphic wrote:Eugen HQ is guarded by eight platoons of Fallschirmjager '90. You'll never make it out alive.

Return to “Wargame : AirLand Battle”