Chaparral Usefulness

Grinch
Staff Sergeant

Re: Chaparral Usefulness

Postby Grinch » Tue 23 Jul 2013 09:47

JuggernautOfWar wrote:Rank affects accuracy and armor of units?

No. He was saying "armor accuracy" when he meant "armory accuracy," i.e. the accuracy value listed in the armory when viewing the unit.

Just frequent typos.

Kamrat Roger
Lieutenant

Postby Kamrat Roger » Tue 23 Jul 2013 10:59

I mostly use the 20pt Chaparral.
It is great to take down enemy choppers and to ambush planes while cheap enough to put everywhere.

If you combine HAWK with some Chaparral and vulcans you can shot down anything in the sky that tries to kill you.
Works even better with a mechanized deck.
Just watch out for enemy artillery.

Bryan
General

Postby Bryan » Tue 23 Jul 2013 14:14

Chaparral A1 seems to be missing their targets a lot these few games. Against jets no they suck, against helis....use em, but hide it it has the armour of your school homework booklet next to a glass of juice.

But obviously you mixed NATO players have no idea about the supreme, almighty, godlike, awesome, More Powerful Than Superman(Buk M1), Batman(Kub), Spider-Man(TunguskaM), and the Incredible Hulk(I-Hawk) Put Together.

Elite Roland 2s

Cue heavenly music.

Those things, pop jets like flies, almost guaranteed hits! Especially with bad ECM aircraft....just 2 will ruin your opponents day, stop them if in range and they fire instantly not to mention their missiles are fast! Just keep it moving and they will be safe...also put them behind the Gepards....and they can survive a cheap jet's suicide cluster bomb run.

HaryPL
Lieutenant

Postby HaryPL » Tue 23 Jul 2013 17:18

Marder Roland 2's are to general 'all-arounder AA' what BUK-M1s are to best A2A statistics. Ultimate choice.

About Charpalls: Irritating, annoying, goddamn unreliable piece of glue'd wet toilet paper with support requirements bigger than ones of 'ultra special care kid' or 99yrs old marathonian guy, that nevertheless is practically a 'must have' in deck anyway just because it has that 3500m range against choppers..

TheFunnyOne1125
First Sergeant

Postby TheFunnyOne1125 » Tue 23 Jul 2013 17:38

Bryan wrote:Chaparral A1 seems to be missing their targets a lot these few games. Against jets no they suck, against helis....use em, but hide it it has the armour of your school homework booklet next to a glass of juice.

But obviously you mixed NATO players have no idea about the supreme, almighty, godlike, awesome, More Powerful Than Superman(Buk M1), Batman(Kub), Spider-Man(TunguskaM), and the Incredible Hulk(I-Hawk) Put Together.

Elite Roland 2s

Cue heavenly music.

Those things, pop jets like flies, almost guaranteed hits! Especially with bad ECM aircraft....just 2 will ruin your opponents day, stop them if in range and they fire instantly not to mention their missiles are fast! Just keep it moving and they will be safe...also put them behind the Gepards....and they can survive a cheap jet's suicide cluster bomb run.

+1

This post is full of so much win, and good advice (I guess).
I open the forum for'em. They're waiting for me to chime in
And say what I said Simon, I'm debating if I should sign in.

LoneRifle
Major-General

Postby LoneRifle » Tue 23 Jul 2013 20:45

Put your Chaps in groups of 2 at least, since it will maximize your change to hit the helis you are aiming at and because they will eat your ammo faster then an alcoholic chugs whiskey.

Wintermote
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby Wintermote » Tue 23 Jul 2013 21:42

The only reason to use chaps is the 3500m range. There is nothing else going for them.

If just about any other NATO AA unit got 3500m range, the chaparral would disappear from all decks forever.

The Chaparral:
- Is easy to kill
- Misses most of its shots
- Only has 4 shots
- Requires constant logistics supply to operate
- Comes in extremely low availability per card
- Requires 2 hits to kill

+ It has 3500m range and is the only effective tool for killing PACT helicopters.
+ It's only 35 points
+ It's not radar-based

I use them only because they are mandatory for killing PACT helicopters. The next best units available are SPAAG's, but SPAAG cannons are mostly short-ranged, low ROF, and miss horrendously even at their best 2800m. They tend to just get sniped by rocket pods.

Honestly, if SPAAG were actually effective against helos, I'd consider actually using them, and might even replace my chaps with them.

But as it stands, the chapparal is the best NATO AA unit for countering helicopters, even if it doesn't do that job particularly well - it still does it much better than every other NATO AA.

Return to “Wargame : AirLand Battle”