Spoiler : :
Told you so.
"How do into gaem of war? How 2 git gud?":
Spoiler : :

StormTalon627
Master Sergeant

Re: Conquest Mode Review

Postby StormTalon627 » Fri 2 Aug 2013 02:48

Gronank wrote:Conquest is not a game mode to be played without an organised team. If you can't gather the entire team for a single attack, you might as well click the surrender button the moment you start to fall behind.

Basically. Just finished my 3rd game in a row where I BEGGED my team to help me counter the 2-3 man rush I was desperately trying to hold back and received absolutely nothing in the way of support, and instead held the middle zones only to get smashed by a flank attack. Heli rush is also pretty much impossible to counter now considering if done right the game ends in about 6 minutes when they hold all the major zones. I don't know if its the gametype, the absolutely useless teammates I am getting, or what.

Iris
Brigadier

Postby Iris » Fri 2 Aug 2013 02:49

The only problem with conquest mode is the quick accumulation of points. You could make an argument for a flat income, but I don't find that necessary.

tarasbulba
Sergeant First-Class

Postby tarasbulba » Fri 2 Aug 2013 02:54

If only you could tell how experienced a player is in the lobby :-) , but we don't want to hurt any feelings here. Leave people annoyed and frustrated, sure.. hurt feelings.......

My favorite dead horse to kick :-)

solaris
Lieutenant

Postby solaris » Fri 2 Aug 2013 02:56

tarasbulba wrote:If only you could tell how experienced a player is in the lobby :-) , but we don't want to hurt any feelings here. Leave people annoyed and frustrated, sure.. hurt feelings.......

High level players do not necessarily equate to high level strategy.

There are tons of people on the top of the ranked ladder who got their by spamming helicopters.
Anecdotes do not count for game balance.

HEROFOX
First Sergeant

Postby HEROFOX » Fri 2 Aug 2013 02:59

How are the losers meant to recover and successfully gain back territory when they're on the offensive - an inherent disadvantage - AND down on income points?

Because the win condition is not based around unit preservation any more?

You're right, if you play a solid early game and secure these locations, you will have positional and points advantage. It is also true that it is easier to defend than to attack, especially if you setup in a good location. However, if the win condition is based off of VP and not who can score the most kill on units, then you can afford losses to re-take points from your enemy. Attack where your enemy is weak, not where your opponent is strong. If he sets up defenses in one area, hit another area that's lightly defended even if it generates less VPs.

I see promise in the new game mode, but I won't know until I commit a good amount of games to it myself.

If anything, the map design will make or break this game mode. The game mode itself is a tried and true formula from other RTS games. It's really up to how well the maps are designed to encourage aggressive play rather than stalemates.

RangerPL
Major

Postby RangerPL » Fri 2 Aug 2013 03:13

Conquest mode is pretty good - it's certainly better than the campfest that destruction had become.

The biggest flaw that needs to be addressed, however, is the income - it is extremely difficult to come back when you're losing, simply because the winning team has far more income than you.

tarasbulba
Sergeant First-Class

Postby tarasbulba » Fri 2 Aug 2013 03:22

solaris wrote:
tarasbulba wrote:If only you could tell how experienced a player is in the lobby :-) , but we don't want to hurt any feelings here. Leave people annoyed and frustrated, sure.. hurt feelings.......

High level players do not necessarily equate to high level strategy.

There are tons of people on the top of the ranked ladder who got their by spamming helicopters.

I am not looking for an indicator of how good a player is, just how experienced he is. (i.e. how many complete games he/she has under their belt).

solaris
Lieutenant

Postby solaris » Fri 2 Aug 2013 03:27

tarasbulba wrote:I am not looking for an indicator of how good a player is, just how experienced he is. (i.e. how many complete games he/she has under their belt).

If you'd rather play with someone who's perfected a helo spam than someone who has yet to learn any habits, good or bad, I suppose there's not much I can do but say "I disagree with your opinion."

Cheers.
Anecdotes do not count for game balance.

Ritterlich
Warrant Officer

Postby Ritterlich » Fri 2 Aug 2013 03:31

I said so often that conquest would work with sector independent income, either linear or fix + steady progressive-regressive -degressive, like in mow assault squad. Eugen did not listen. How they managed to screw up the long awaited game mode that promised improvement is still beyond my grasp. It is somewhat shocking. Do they even playtest it? If so, replace the testers. Every single one that was supposed to test gameplay failed. Propably only tested functionality. Terrible... disappointment regarding the gamemode would be an understatement.

Eugen, do you ever learn? Sorry to be blunt, but the question comes from heart. The game is wonderful, but how can you continue to screw the game modes up. The community asked for something else. You still include income based on number of zones. Only the victory points should be gained by zones.

Please correct it. It is still fresh.

Return to “Wargame : AirLand Battle”