Underrated and Overrated

Scharnberg
Master Sergeant

Re: Underrated and Overrated

Postby Scharnberg » Sun 4 Aug 2013 22:51

Underrated:
USSR/PACT:
T-62M-1 - only 70 points for a range 2800m, 19 ap ATGM, can kill anything in its prince range and do serious dmg to M1A1 Abrams. and 1 point to Leopard 2a4s and challengers. and it has enough armor to take 2-3 hits, meaning you have time to retreat with it. Take it as a veteran and you will see it shine.

Nice in my USSR tank setup. 1 T-80U, supported by 1 T-64BV1, 1 T-72B1 and 1 T-62M-1 (+something to smoke where needed).
The T-80U will take the damage and the rest will to do the damage.

NATO:
Challenger - Used right and it can be a killing machine.

Overrated:
USSR/PACT:
MIG-31M - only good if you have 2 or if its supported by another long ranged AA plane.
NATO:
M1A1 Abrams - It just sucks with its 17 front armor, yea it has its uses as a support or defensive unit but it dont have the Armor to be in front of a attack.
F-14 TOMCAT - Same as with Mig-31M
Last edited by Scharnberg on Sun 4 Aug 2013 23:01, edited 1 time in total.
Pro Rege Et Grege

Person012345
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Person012345 » Sun 4 Aug 2013 22:56

Cheap tanks are underrated. I'm also not sure if this is still the case, but Anti-air helicopters were always underrated. I find them supremely useful for chasing off/destroying enemy recon helicopters and providing extremely mobile AA cover for defenses that are necessarily spread (and I can't necessarily provide adequate anti-helo AA to due to availability or command point limitations or whatever).

They may have become more rated as people see the glorious light of anti-AA helos, but either way I always stick a card in any deck that has them available pretty much.

Scharnberg
Master Sergeant

Postby Scharnberg » Sun 4 Aug 2013 23:06

Person012345 wrote:Cheap tanks are underrated. I'm also not sure if this is still the case, but Anti-air helicopters were always underrated. I find them supremely useful for chasing off/destroying enemy recon helicopters and providing extremely mobile AA cover for defenses that are necessarily spread (and I can't necessarily provide adequate anti-helo AA to due to availability or command point limitations or whatever).

They may have become more rated as people see the glorious light of anti-AA helos, but either way I always stick a card in any deck that has them available pretty much.

Agree completly with the anti-AA helos they are really nice sadly USSR dont really have any worth taking.
The KA-50 AKULA is just way to expensive costing 130 points compared to the
NATO-mixed(USA) helicopter OH-58C/S which only costs 45 points, and are better as and aa helicopter as it can fire on the move :D.
Pro Rege Et Grege

triumph
Major

Postby triumph » Sun 4 Aug 2013 23:18

under: Command Tanks with good armor, su-122, harpons, rocket arty, flame tanks

over: British armor, the FOB, supply helos, airborne inf, S-tanks, low tier T80s
Transcend Excellence

F15X32
Sergeant First-Class

Postby F15X32 » Tue 6 Aug 2013 22:20

T-80s being overrated is right. In fact during the first Chechen war, the Russains were so appalled at the perofrmance and casualty rates of the T-80s deployed that they abandoned gas-turbine models, and have decided to end the devlopment cycle of the T-80 and retire it.
It's ironic really- the best model of tank in the game, considered a failure IRL...

RedWarning
Command Sergeant Major

Postby RedWarning » Tue 6 Aug 2013 22:31

Faxx2 wrote:What in your opinion is the most underrated and/or overrated units in the game?

For Me;

Underrated unit in the game is stinger missiles (man portable anti air) as every one seems to just focus on the big hitting hawks ect. People seem to miss the small 2 man teams and loose there 100 point aircraft to these beauties.

Overrated i would say spetznas, dot get me wrong they are great units, but every on is always ranting on about how powerful they are and that they are indestructible in woods ect, when ever I've used them and sometimes seen them used by others, they seem to be crushed/countered by good game play and a lot of bombs.

What's your opinion?

I actually mostly use MANPADs, since those anti-radar missiles are the bane of my existence.

Scharnberg
Master Sergeant

Postby Scharnberg » Tue 6 Aug 2013 22:39

F15X32 wrote:T-80s being overrated is right. In fact during the first Chechen war, the Russains were so appalled at the perofrmance and casualty rates of the T-80s deployed that they abandoned gas-turbine models, and have decided to end the devlopment cycle of the T-80 and retire it.
It's ironic really- the best model of tank in the game, considered a failure IRL...

During the first Chechen war, the T-80B and T-80BV were used to capture cities without infantry support - a task they were not designed to do. Furthermore after the fall of Soviet, military spendings had been nearly cut to 0 so Russian tank crews at the time had little to very little traning.
Pro Rege Et Grege

Hidden Gunman
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Hidden Gunman » Tue 6 Aug 2013 22:40

Killertomato wrote:Underrated? SU-122-54. Clears buildings like few other units, a threat to armor at point-blank range, dirt cheap, and extremely available.

Overrated? Probably the T-80U. I mean, it's kind of a big deal, but I don't really treat it any differently than I would a T-80BV or a Leopard 2A4 or any other heavy. If six tanks can break my back I've done something terribly, terribly wrong.

1st place under-rated: Su-122-54. Absolutely agree; rarely seen, eats infantry and ambush predator extraodinaire for armour from a close ambush...and they can hunt in huge packs at 15 points each.

2nd place: Zhalo. It's a BTR with a big gun on it, WTF else needs to be said? It can win the inaugural Monaco WALB Grand Prix, and put a hurt on anything lightly or non-armoured at range, and even decent armour up close, and it has medium optics. Leave gaps, and zhalo's will really ruin your game plan if you don't counter them.

Over-rated: T80OU...it's like a red sports car...little deck, big tank. Enough said.
A Firefly killed Wittman...

It's a 17lbr, not a 76.2mm.

RedWarning
Command Sergeant Major

Postby RedWarning » Tue 6 Aug 2013 22:48

F15X32 wrote:T-80s being overrated is right. In fact during the first Chechen war, the Russains were so appalled at the perofrmance and casualty rates of the T-80s deployed that they abandoned gas-turbine models, and have decided to end the devlopment cycle of the T-80 and retire it.

I don't think the Chechen war can be used as a fair example, Russia was in disarray and a bankrupt country during those times.

Tressa
Warrant Officer

Postby Tressa » Tue 6 Aug 2013 22:54

Underrated: Command tanks (especially the sturdy ones). Their use is situational, but they are highly valuable when assaulting a spawn zone. I think Conquest mode will make them a lot more popular in that regard.

Less essential but still nice is their use in open zones like Foxtrot in Uppsala (ex Gavle). No place to hide, the enemy has elevated terrain and all your units are presented on a platter. Defacto immunity against heavy artillery and cluster bombers is very handy here.
Tressa's AirLand Map Archive - All W:ALB maps as high-res images.
Guide to the Guides - Consolidated list of W:ALB Resources and Tutorials.

Return to “Wargame : AirLand Battle”