Display kills (numbers) in conquest mode

Fussel
Chief Warrant Officer

Display kills (numbers) in conquest mode

Postby Fussel » Mon 5 Aug 2013 23:13

I'm sure it has been brought up somewhere but i think it is a good idea to keep displaying numbers if you kill units in conquest mode. Right now you have little feedback if you killed a unit and if it's not for gameplay reasons i find those numbers popping up after a bombing run damn sexy!!

Chesnok
Command Sergeant Major

Re: Display kills (numbers) in conquest mode

Postby Chesnok » Mon 5 Aug 2013 23:15

The numbers serve no purpose in conquest mode, as kill score has no correlation to game score.

[EUG]MadMat
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby [EUG]MadMat » Mon 5 Aug 2013 23:16

In Destruction modes, points per kill were at the heart of the game, thus important then displayed. It was a "necessary evil".
Things are better in Conquest, adding a bit of uncertainty ... :twisted:

Edgecase
Master Sergeant

Postby Edgecase » Mon 5 Aug 2013 23:18

Plus it would probably confuse the players who already seem to have trouble remembering what game type they're playing.

Fussel
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Fussel » Mon 5 Aug 2013 23:24

Yes i understand that they have no purpose but right now it feels like something is missing. I probably have to get used to the mode i guess.

Bubble slip
Master Sergeant

Postby Bubble slip » Mon 5 Aug 2013 23:27

At the beginning it was disturbing for me, but now it became an habit. And i dont think i'll come back on destruction mode.

Sometimes it's only difficult to know if i destroyed a plane or not.

naizarak
Captain

Postby naizarak » Mon 5 Aug 2013 23:29

[EUG]MadMat wrote:In Destruction modes, points per kill were at the heart of the game, thus important then displayed. It was a "necessary evil".

Well floating points have become such an integral part of the game that it really shouldn't be dependent on the game mode. Everyone is used to them and expects to see them after destroying an enemy. Not having them doesn't add as much to uncertainty as it does to annoyance.

Hartmann
Lieutenant

Postby Hartmann » Mon 5 Aug 2013 23:34

[EUG]MadMat wrote:In Destruction modes, points per kill were at the heart of the game, thus important then displayed. It was a "necessary evil".

How can you say it's better?

Literally every single person I've spoken to absolutely despises the lack of kill confirmations. Both for playability and enjoyability these were so important. Now I have to zoom in every single time to confirm kills on vehicles, why force your players to go through this? How is this more realistic or enjoyable?

Infantry adds a whole other layer of annoyance due to the impossibility of knowing if they're dead or if you just lost sight. You just kinda have to suicide a unit to confirm it. It makes no logical sense.

It doesn't add uncertainty at all, it just adds a frustrating and tedious extra step in confirming a kill. While at the same time removing the satisfaction of seeing numbers fly up from a succesful move.

There is a reason why so many RTS games have this feature.
Last edited by Hartmann on Mon 5 Aug 2013 23:47, edited 1 time in total.

Kraxis
Major-General

Postby Kraxis » Mon 5 Aug 2013 23:40

There is a certain satisfaction in seeing the numbers. It can be quite bland to not see them.

Maybe make them white so as to make it clear that this is not the same game mode.

The main problem with the numbers is when you bombard somewhere unseen and see a gaggle of numbers. Then you have little to no need to make another long range attack there. That's a little cheap. However the numbers also serve as a sort of identification.
If I fight a USSR deck and notice a +170, then I know it is a T-80U and I have just scored a major victory on the battlefield. Call it the crews reporting on kills if you want, but it is useful even in Conquest.
[EUG]MadMat wrote:MadMat says so many things ... :twisted:

maxp779
First Sergeant

Postby maxp779 » Mon 5 Aug 2013 23:44

Kraxis wrote:There is a certain satisfaction in seeing the numbers. It can be quite bland to not see them.

Maybe make them white so as to make it clear that this is not the same game mode.

The main problem with the numbers is when you bombard somewhere unseen and see a gaggle of numbers. Then you have little to no need to make another long range attack there. That's a little cheap. However the numbers also serve as a sort of identification.
If I fight a USSR deck and notice a +170, then I know it is a T-80U and I have just scored a major victory on the battlefield. Call it the crews reporting on kills if you want, but it is useful even in Conquest.

Yeah... my feelings exactly.

Return to “Wargame : AirLand Battle”