Display kills (numbers) in conquest mode

SirScorpion
Command Sergeant Major

Re: Display kills (numbers) in conquest mode

Postby SirScorpion » Tue 6 Aug 2013 12:17

This is very nice feature please add it back. its much more than just destruction as well it helps alot in many other ways and since we dont have audio confirmation this works just fine

monochromatic
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby monochromatic » Tue 6 Aug 2013 12:18

praslovan wrote:+ sign is not good. What does it stand for? What does it increase? It will make people confused.

I don't mean it has to be exactly a plus sign. Any neutral sign would be better than nothing in my opinion.

praslovan
Major-General

Postby praslovan » Tue 6 Aug 2013 12:44

I don't really have that much strong opinion for kill signs any more. But I still think it would make game mode more solid.

Bryan
General

Postby Bryan » Tue 6 Aug 2013 14:06

No numbers! Its perfectly fine and ambiguous allows suspense.
But its annoying to see a T-80U explode and me going YAYAYAYAYAY I killed it! Then it never sowing up in e debrief... :cry:

Medan
Warrant Officer

Postby Medan » Tue 6 Aug 2013 14:13

Ambiguity doesn't add suspense... it adds frustration. The game is played on a macro scale, so visual cues like the "number" system becomes exceedingly important. If we were zoomed in at all times and you could see tanks/infantry go down perhaps this would alleviate the problem, but as it is now, you have no representation of what is occurring on screen.

It is a small change that dramatically changes how the game feels...

arotished
Sergeant First-Class

Postby arotished » Tue 6 Aug 2013 14:16

I think they should remove the hole "kill number" system....makes it more realistic.

Tressa
Warrant Officer

Postby Tressa » Tue 6 Aug 2013 15:18

This is really more than anything a matter of individual taste so I'll doubt we find a consensus here. Personally I am emphatically in the "meh...whatever" camp with a slight preference towards numbers off:

Floating numbers popping up over woods one just blindly artilleried on a hunch (or as counter-battery fire) just looks gamey. Even more so if it's a transport and the artillerst at the tube instantly knows "Oh, an APC, and it was loaded. All passengers dead". And that's without evening knowing something was there.

Secondly, I like the ambiguity. I think it's a decent representation of the fog of war and chaos during battle. Two situations:

• A tank battle in open plains: Big explosion, black crater, tank is gone. Very clear feedback, no uncertainty. So there is no need for any pop-up numbers.

• A two-man ATGM team, hidden on the edge of a forest, fires a Milan/Konkurs at a passing tank 2 km away. The targeted tank crew sees the smoke/blast and returns a shot from its main gun. No further missiles are fired...are the two infantrists dead or did they just sleek back into the woods? Unless they fire again...tough to know. In-game and "RL" correspond quite nicely here.
Tressa's AirLand Map Archive - All W:ALB maps as high-res images.
Guide to the Guides - Consolidated list of W:ALB Resources and Tutorials.

SteinerGER
Command Sergeant Major

Postby SteinerGER » Tue 6 Aug 2013 15:43

arotished wrote:I think they should remove the hole "kill number" system....makes it more realistic.

For conquest yes please. For destruction im not so sure.

praslovan
Major-General

Postby praslovan » Tue 6 Aug 2013 15:45

Medan wrote:Ambiguity doesn't add suspense... it adds frustration. The game is played on a macro scale, so visual cues like the "number" system becomes exceedingly important. If we were zoomed in at all times and you could see tanks/infantry go down perhaps this would alleviate the problem, but as it is now, you have no representation of what is occurring on screen.

It is a small change that dramatically changes how the game feels...

Listen to this man. He speaks sense.

Tressa wrote:[list][*]A tank battle in open plains: Big explosion, black crater, tank is gone. Very clear feedback, no uncertainty. So there is no need for any pop-up numbers.[/*]

Now I don't know how do you play. But I use planes quite often. Which means that I am not ploughing fields with my nose most of the time. And since I have a big nose that means I am zoomed out as far as possible.

I like the LOS only idea more and more.

Ritterlich
Warrant Officer

Postby Ritterlich » Tue 6 Aug 2013 15:55

I dislike the kill points popping up. It feels like CoD. I spit on it. Feh! /Shudder

Return to “Wargame : AirLand Battle”