Is there gonna come any infantry with kevlar?

Scharnberg
Master Sergeant

Is there gonna come any infantry with kevlar?

Postby Scharnberg » Tue 6 Aug 2013 19:30

Is there gonna come any infantry with kevlar as a DLC in the future? - with like between 0,25-0,5 front armor?
Pro Rege Et Grege

Romiros
That was soooo easy

Re: Is there gonna come any infantry with kevlar?

Postby Romiros » Tue 6 Aug 2013 19:34

Do you imagine WHAT will happen when specnaz, VDV and Specnaz VMF get their titan bodyarmor?
Last edited by Romiros on Tue 6 Aug 2013 19:36, edited 1 time in total.

Poerisija
Staff Sergeant

Postby Poerisija » Tue 6 Aug 2013 19:35

How about no.

Scharnberg
Master Sergeant

Postby Scharnberg » Tue 6 Aug 2013 19:39

Romiros wrote:Do you imagine WHAT will happen when specnaz, VDV get their titan bodyarmor?

not really but, i wasnt asking if any current units would get body armor. But rather if their would came some prototype unit with kevlar for any country, might one pact and nato minor.

Would be quite nice and give minors a specialization that could be taken serious.
Pro Rege Et Grege

Edgecase
Master Sergeant

Postby Edgecase » Tue 6 Aug 2013 19:41

Scharnberg wrote:Is there gonna come any infantry with kevlar as a DLC in the future? - with like between 0,25-0,5 front armor?

Does the game engine even know what to do with AV between 0 and 1?

Scharnberg
Master Sergeant

Postby Scharnberg » Tue 6 Aug 2013 19:50

Edgecase wrote:
Scharnberg wrote:Is there gonna come any infantry with kevlar as a DLC in the future? - with like between 0,25-0,5 front armor?

I think so, if you take the american unit LVTP-7 it does 0,75 HE dmg. So if that can be calculated in less than full numbers i dont see why the engien should be limited in other areas to full numbers.
Last edited by Scharnberg on Tue 6 Aug 2013 19:50, edited 1 time in total.
Pro Rege Et Grege

Romiros
That was soooo easy

Postby Romiros » Tue 6 Aug 2013 19:50

Scharnberg wrote:
Romiros wrote:Do you imagine WHAT will happen when specnaz, VDV get their titan bodyarmor?

not really but, i wasnt asking if any current units would get body armor. But rather if their would came some prototype unit with kevlar for any country, might one pact and nato minor.

Would be quite nice and give minors a specialization that could be taken serious.

Well, before any suggestion like that you must think how it will change balance in-game

theBLUBinYou
Lieutenant

Postby theBLUBinYou » Tue 6 Aug 2013 20:00

0.5 would them invulnerable against the infantry carried MGs right? So I think thats a quite bad idea...

Edgecase
Master Sergeant

Postby Edgecase » Tue 6 Aug 2013 20:11

Scharnberg wrote:
Edgecase wrote:

I think so, if you take the american unit LVTP-7 it does 0,75 HE dmg. So if that can be calculated in less than full numbers i dont see why the engien should be limited in other areas to full numbers.

Armor values are different than HE damage values. According to data gathered from testing, AV negates a percentage of HE damage under normal circumstances, it does not stop it completely. Higher AVs prevent a larger percent of damage, while lower AVs prevent less. If it were to follow the curve normally, AV 1 would provide approximately 33% damage reduction.

However, in practice, AV 1 vs. small arms (HE < 1) appears to be treated as an exception. With AV 1, small arms can do no damage, BUT the vehicle is effectively AV 0 (full damage) for all other HE purposes. AV 2+, meanwhile, follows the curve fairly well.

What about the AV values between 0 and 1? I don't know; they don't exist. The only AVs in game are whole numbers. There is no precedent one way or the other on whether they would prevent a % of damage, or just make units immune to damage below some HE threshold. That would work very strangely, though: infantry small arms have an HE value of 1, while APC MGs often have HE values below 1. That means that "cutting off" damage below a certain amount would make units immune to LMGs and MMGs, but not other infantry ARs. I don't think that's particularly intuitive either.

DiabloTigerSix
Colonel

Postby DiabloTigerSix » Tue 6 Aug 2013 20:12

Kevlar doesn't work at all against rifle rounds :roll: So for kevlar vests to be useful, NYPD cops would have to be added first so that there the kind of ammo added to the game that they can effectively stop (pistol rounds) .

Return to “Wargame : AirLand Battle”