buk or osa's?

[EUG]MadMat
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Re: buk or osa's?

Postby [EUG]MadMat » Tue 13 Aug 2013 14:59

Osa all the way. Teamed with Shilkas, they are the backbone of all my Pact decks air defense.
They may suck SEAD missiles, I will always have more than my opponent's SEAD plane, and a good Osa + Shilka net is way cheaper than Kub/Buk + Tunguska, and can be very effective if well positioned.

Compass
First Sergeant

Postby Compass » Tue 13 Aug 2013 15:06

Cat C is Biryusas, Osas, Buks. Anything else past that would be Biryusas, Tunguskas, Buk-MIs

Sukesa
Corporal

Postby Sukesa » Tue 13 Aug 2013 15:35

Osa > Buk

HaryPL
Lieutenant

Postby HaryPL » Tue 13 Aug 2013 18:03

X x 3 OSA-AK/AKM launchers with rockets turned off and hotkey'ed to one of the groups.

You see the plane, any plane, coming, you turn them on just as it passes / evac close to them and enjoy "free" kill.

Zloba
Sergeant First-Class

Postby Zloba » Tue 13 Aug 2013 19:55

praslovan wrote:You don't need osa if you have tunguska.

Problem is that you only have 4 m models and you can not use them as frontline aa support, because after they get killed off its hellfire rape time. So as USSR I have to hide them and reserve for choppers exclusively. Questions is can I take osa-akms and iglas and skip on the buk card (since buks alone are too slow to deal with massive plane rush)

EDIT: Of course I would so gladly take even post-nerf Roland @12 availability instead of Buk/Osa

Grabbed_by_the_Spets
General

Postby Grabbed_by_the_Spets » Tue 13 Aug 2013 20:06

I'm in love with eh OSA's now. Maybe it's the fact that I got stuck using OSA as East Germany, which has taught me the ways of the OSA. But I love their Mobility against other SAM's. Thier mobility combined with their accuracy if their AK or AKM's more than makes up for their lack of range but being able to get into position so much easier, I'm almost never caught off guard with these units.

Ferrard Carson
First Sergeant

Postby Ferrard Carson » Tue 13 Aug 2013 20:07

Zloba wrote:
praslovan wrote:You don't need osa if you have tunguska.

Problem is that you only have 4 m models and you can not use them as frontline aa support, because after they get killed off its hellfire rape time. So as USSR I have to hide them and reserve for choppers exclusively. Questions is can I take osa-akms and iglas and skip on the buk card (since buks alone are too slow to deal with massive plane rush)

Yes, you can dispense with the BUKs - I personally don't, because BUK-M1s are very powerful deterrents, even if they only have 3 missiles. Their presence as part of the ADN adds a lot of bite to the first volley, distracts players from the OSA killers, and deters "piecemeal" airstrikes which would encounter a prepared BUK on every sortie.

That said, the OSA's are your major aircraft killers, and SPAAGs / Non-radar missiles are your major chopper killers, so a BUK, like a CAP, is not strictly necessary - they just make your ADN that much more effective.

~ Ferrard
Quit cricri; read glorious guide to askings of buff or nerf.
Quit cricri; learn Morale Effects.
Quit cricri; learn Morale Management.
And remember:
Watching BHD, reading wikipedia, and using Google Image Search do not a scholar make.

Skyenet
First Sergeant

Postby Skyenet » Tue 13 Aug 2013 20:08

Both please.

I roll BUKs with my CVs and then once my front line is established I spread AAA and Osas out to soak up SEAD and launch a hailstorm of missiles and lead at anyone who dares approach my line.

DoubleDown
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby DoubleDown » Tue 13 Aug 2013 20:10

I keep Afghanskii (ridiculous, I know, but I'm only using them to herd enemy fighters and I also use them for ground work) and Strela-10s at/near the front line, OSAs behind them, and BUKs sitting in the rear to punish any leakers. Combined with fighter aircraft, this has always been a successful ADN for me.

Phips
Sergeant Major

Postby Phips » Tue 13 Aug 2013 20:10

its funny how most assume he plays a pure russian deck just because they themself probably never play anything else. no need for osa if he got tung? is tung wheeled? is tung cheap? is tung numerous? NO.

cheapest osa is a quite effective airplane killer.

Return to “Wargame : AirLand Battle”