Conquest - and where it's going

elmoking
Lieutenant

Conquest - and where it's going

Postby elmoking » Sun 1 Sep 2013 09:43

Normally I hate suggestions thread from layman playerbase. Mostly unqualified people saying X tank should get +1 statistic to fix game balance. but I figure we are all entitled to do it once.

my main question is, for tl;dr sake: WILL WE GET CONQUEST IN 1V1 RANKED?

as far as I am concerned, introduction of conquest breathed some new life into WALB for me. I was pretty sick of it already, as a game of just camping, even in economy, and the stunted 1v1 with buddha tactics.

then conquest came along and the game changed to almost exactly how I prefer it to be played.

now, I think that destruction requires some good skill. I respected a lot the titans of the EE days in 1v1 destruction. And I don't want to disrespect people who presently are very skilled at destruction ranked in ALB. But IMO ALB 1v1 is missing a LOT from EE 1v1, I don't want to discuss why, but I would like to summarise the different skillsets between Conquest and Destruction:

- destruction: how best to shepherd resources, micro-intensive (PROCESS-FOCUS)
- conquest: how best to spend resource, macro-intensive (RESULT-FOCUS)

of course both have elements of one or the other in them. but that is how I would see the principal difference. Destruction is a simple mathematics game in that if you take more losses, you lose: and you have to think about a number of essentially mathematical factors. Is a unit false economy? Is it worth in this situation to make a trade of a 125pt unit (say, NOR F16) for 100pt unit? (UAZ) how valuable is map control compared to attrition? (much less.)

and beyond that it requires a lot of microing skills. which I don't want to disparage.

now conquest is much different because no matter how much resources you spend to achieve a goal, what matters is the goal itself. I can take 2:1 losses to capture a point but opponent must then spend points to take it back from me: they can not just sit in their spawn and accept -1pts a tick. what matters is more about how you spend your resources in the most efficient way to achieve an objective. even in conquest it's possible to win even if you have a negative k/d.

both have some elements of intelligence and deception.

but I think conquest represents the best way for 1v1 ranked. why?

1. because it encourages mobile play: in a meta sense it encourages people to do things, rather than prevent things being done to them. active vs passive.

2. ALB is not starcraft, I respect micro has its place but macro should come first.

3. players less likely to win on "technicalities" and unsporting tactics such as spawncamping etc.

imo conquest is superior because what happens is that whole organisation of the game is leading to a single, or multi purpose, to cap points. all operations in the game lead up to goals and objectives, supported by intelligence. this is what i mean by RESULT focus.

destruction doesn't have that. it's process focus. you just play the game, do the best you can in all processes, and eventually when timer ticks over you have victory.

Soundwolf776
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Conquest - and where it's going

Postby Soundwolf776 » Sun 1 Sep 2013 09:52

WILL WE GET CONQUEST IN 1V1 RANKED?

Yes. And, IIRC, pretty soon.

elmoking
Lieutenant

Postby elmoking » Sun 1 Sep 2013 09:56

Soundwolf776 wrote:
WILL WE GET CONQUEST IN 1V1 RANKED?

Yes. And, IIRC, pretty soon.
oh, problem solved I guess.

will ranks be reset?

SikkeSakke
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby SikkeSakke » Sun 1 Sep 2013 10:23

Soundwolf776 wrote:Yes. And, IIRC, pretty soon.

Cheers. Looking forward to that eagerly... and then watch my rank go down :D.

edit. @OP. Agreed.

FLX
Lieutenant General

Postby FLX » Sun 1 Sep 2013 10:46

Yes, rank will be reset since we change the rules.

We're did not put conquest in ranked at first because we want to find a good values first.
Be nice or I nerf your favorite unit !

spyker92
Lieutenant

Postby spyker92 » Sun 1 Sep 2013 11:16

Would prefer if we got to choose if we got to play ranked or conquest in ranked. Just a suggestion, player choice is important you know!

Oh well :lol:

rrev
Sergeant First-Class

Postby rrev » Sun 1 Sep 2013 12:15

Great. So ranked mode is going to be playable finally.

And FLX can you please make Conquest the default mode for all formats (except maybe 10v10)?

Random
Captain

Postby Random » Sun 1 Sep 2013 13:27

FLX wrote:Yes, rank will be reset since we change the rules.

We're did not put conquest in ranked at first because we want to find a good values first.

Will wins/loses also be reset (I hope so)?

And btw what is the ETA on that patch if I may ask?

It`s a good change and will really improve gameplay in ranked.

Pomegranate23
Sergeant Major

Postby Pomegranate23 » Sun 1 Sep 2013 14:38

FLX wrote:Yes, rank will be reset since we change the rules.

Its good to hear that ranked is about to be conquest soon,but what do you mean by reset? Everyone will be private again?
Also,could you pls remove the rank indicator when you are in a lobby? I fear that if I rank up a bit more it will be impossible for me to find games.

elmoking
Lieutenant

Postby elmoking » Sun 1 Sep 2013 23:25

Are there any other planned changes to 1v1 that can be leaked? Is this change imminent or "in the future"?

Return to “Wargame : AirLand Battle”