Artillery thread

Cpt.Lithuania
Command Sergeant Major

Artillery thread

Postby Cpt.Lithuania » Wed 4 Sep 2013 17:42

This is probably the most un-realistic part of the game and it has been bothering me a lot for a while.

First of all Artillery cannot fire at such speeds as it does currently IRL.They basically just fire 1 round per second ingame which is just absurd.

Then for some reason the accuracy of artillery is complete not influenced by range.
Another problem is that artillery has a small HE ratio.It is usually you either do a direct hit or you don't do any damage at all and im not talking about tanks im talking about APC's or even unarmored vehicles.

My simple suggestion would be to bring back the way that artillery worked in EE. This would means increased time between shots and increased HE ratio and it would be far more realistic then it is now.

While reading the forums i saw quite a few posts saying "It can't be ingame because it is not IRL or some unit wont work that way because it does not work like that IRL"

So what about artillery? Im completely sure that artillery IRL is unable to fire 6 or more rounds per 8 seconds.

Arch
Lieutenant

Re: Artillery thread

Postby Arch » Wed 4 Sep 2013 17:44

Wargame is not realistic in the slightest, don't think it can be and still work.

Cpt.Lithuania
Command Sergeant Major

Postby Cpt.Lithuania » Wed 4 Sep 2013 17:52

Arch wrote:Wargame is not realistic in the slightest, don't think it can be and still work.

The artillery system which was in EE worked pretty well and I believe it would work in AB as well. And no that wouldn't make it completely realistic but at least it wouldn't be as silly as it is currently and then it would actually look realistic to a person with little knowledge about artillery systems. As it is right now its just stupid.

Arch
Lieutenant

Postby Arch » Wed 4 Sep 2013 17:59

If you think it worked well, you abused it.

Hob_Gadling
Captain

Postby Hob_Gadling » Wed 4 Sep 2013 18:04

Cpt.Lithuania wrote:Im completely sure that artillery IRL is unable to fire 6 or more rounds per 8 seconds.

By being clever with the firing angles you can change the flight times so that shells impact at roughly the same time. That's the effect Wargame is going for (or even if it's not I choose to believe it). Certain aspects of artillery need some work but the accuracy and delay between impacts is totally acceptable.

stratmania
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby stratmania » Wed 4 Sep 2013 18:07

Hob_Gadling wrote:
Cpt.Lithuania wrote:Im completely sure that artillery IRL is unable to fire 6 or more rounds per 8 seconds.

By being clever with the firing angles you can change the flight times so that shells impact at roughly the same time. That's the effect Wargame is going for (or even if it's not I choose to believe it). Certain aspects of artillery need some work but the accuracy and delay between impacts is totally acceptable.

Yep. With this, counter battery is a bit harder to do, but will result in a much faster, hard to dodge salvo.
The damage is fine enough for me. Maybe increase suppression just a tiny bit, but thats it. No damage increase.

Cpt.Lithuania
Command Sergeant Major

Postby Cpt.Lithuania » Wed 4 Sep 2013 18:07

Arch wrote:If you think it worked well, you abused it.

I used to use as single amx auf1 close to frontlines for CV hunting or panicking/killing atgm carriers.
Also you're not presenting any real arguments why my ideas are wrong.

People who abused it used to spawn with 4 FOB and 8 malkas which in the end didn't work well because of the huge supply drain and the fact that 8 malkas are pretty easy to kill in many diffrent ways.

Cpt.Lithuania
Command Sergeant Major

Postby Cpt.Lithuania » Wed 4 Sep 2013 18:16

Hob_Gadling wrote:

How is the accuracy accepteable? an artillery shell is as accurate from 3km as it is from 23km? Even if the gunner is excellent the accuracy would still be worse at longer ranges simply because the shell travels for a long time and the wind directions can change many times until the shell actually lands.

Also the "Being clever with the firing angles" Is only possible with modern computers or the gunner must be EXTREMELY skillfull.

Wargamer8
Command Sergeant Major

Postby Wargamer8 » Wed 4 Sep 2013 18:39

It's for balance. Imagine if the artillery in the game could have a non stop firing mechanism. Artillery would be pretty over powered like it was in EE.

By the way 203mm cannons in real life tend to take anywhere from 30 seconds to 1minute.

Cpt.Lithuania
Command Sergeant Major

Postby Cpt.Lithuania » Wed 4 Sep 2013 20:37

Wargamer8 wrote:It's for balance. Imagine if the artillery in the game could have a non stop firing mechanism. Artillery would be pretty over powered like it was in EE.

By the way 203mm cannons in real life tend to take anywhere from 30 seconds to 1minute.

How was artillery overpowered in EE? And it wouldn't be a non stop firing mechanism like it was not in EE. It simply means that launching a barrage of lets say 6 shells would take about 15 seconds and then the reload time would be about 30 seconds.

Return to “Wargame : AirLand Battle”