why don't YOU play conquest.

zbone
Second-Lieutenant

Re: why don't YOU play conquest.

Postby zbone » Fri 6 Sep 2013 00:06

I don't play Conquest because:
- almost no one hosts conquest and joins my Conquest rooms
- if I manage to get a game it's enough one player out of 4 or 6 who is 'not getting it' to turn game one-sided ridiculously quickly.

But for teams I don't see why it shouldn't be fun. Allows for more strategic options than destruction.

M3SS3NG3R
Sergeant

Postby M3SS3NG3R » Fri 6 Sep 2013 00:37

eaglefarm wrote:The problem for me is that the most contested zones are spawn points. So once a team grabs a zone, they get a double advantage: they get the zone points plus they can spawn units directly into the zone to defend it. Meanwhile the losing team has to trundle units across the map to try to take a zone back. Effectively this is a big points edge to the team holding the spawn - the other team has a lot of points in transit.

Conquest needs better map design than what we have right now. They should keep reinforcement zones at the two ends of the map, and preferably located fairly close to each other at each side. Stop making all maps rectangle fares that involve a uniformed push across the entire map. Instead, make players spread out from the starting point towards *any* direction they choose. Think of it like a drop of ink in water. If you keep spreading your influence everywhere your force should become diluted unless you put in exponentially more resources to maintain them.

As for people criticizing conquest as "unrealistic", I'd like to point out that unless you're fighting a war of attrition with the sole purpose of intimidating your opponent into submission, destruction of units doesn't mean much to the outcome of war. Look at Russia in WW2. Look at Vietnam vs France in the first Indochina war. Both the Soviets and Vietnamese suffered horrendous casualties, arguably more so than their opponents did. They both won in the end. The ultimate goals of war is about the control of key territories and resources. That's why conquest is a more realistic portrayal of coventional warfare than destruction can ever hope to be. That's why I only play conquest.

Trimen
Second-Lieutenant

Postby Trimen » Fri 6 Sep 2013 01:51

FLX wrote:I think it's because destruction is more noob friendly : if you don't know what to do, do nothing and gain points.

I would disagree. A noob in destruction is more of a disadvantage to his side throwing cool units like M1A1 and AH-64 into battle without planning. Losing 4 M1A1 and 4 AH-64. This will cripple Their side side in destruction because that is alot of point handed to the opponents.

In Conquest, if noob looses his cool units, the enemy is no more better off then they were before. And if the noob rage quits, the extra income per tick and unit cards will more then make up for their lack of contribution to their side.

Drrty-D
Major

Postby Drrty-D » Fri 6 Sep 2013 01:51

Putting Conquest as Default mode when creating the lobby will do the trick.C is before D in the alphabet also :) .I am sure there are new players out there who dont even know what Conquest is because they just hosted it with default destruction and played with money values and maps.
Every few days i play 1vs1 against guys who ask me,why no points for kill,WTF? and stuff....

UGBEAR
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby UGBEAR » Fri 6 Sep 2013 05:07

Maybe the point kicker by killing something is more satisfying? :D
dzimmu wrote:Noobs playing for the pact has once again defended the next unbalanced unit Pact!

burnthepigs
Sergeant First-Class

Postby burnthepigs » Fri 6 Sep 2013 09:30

I don't know about conquest, whenever I play conquest it's just a spam fest. Massed bombers that overwhelm your ADN and aren't even punished for losing half of them.

Kin-Luu
Captain

Postby Kin-Luu » Fri 6 Sep 2013 10:07

UGBEAR wrote:Maybe the point kicker by killing something is more satisfying? :D

This.

Conquest just feels so... stale? I am not sure why, but to me, conquest feels bland and uninteresting. But I get pretty involved into almost every destruction match.

Grosnours
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Grosnours » Fri 6 Sep 2013 10:07

burnthepigs wrote:I don't know about conquest, whenever I play conquest it's just a spam fest. Massed bombers that overwhelm your ADN and aren't even punished for losing half of them.

There is a dimension of that, true.
So try out our [CPC] servers in the 10v10 section, we have a 1v1 and a 5v5 with very low starting points (income is still fixed at 7/4s of course). It gives a new dynamic to the game.
:shameless advertisement:

burnthepigs
Sergeant First-Class

Postby burnthepigs » Fri 6 Sep 2013 10:48

Grosnours wrote:
burnthepigs wrote:I don't know about conquest, whenever I play conquest it's just a spam fest. Massed bombers that overwhelm your ADN and aren't even punished for losing half of them.

There is a dimension of that, true.
So try out our [CPC] servers in the 10v10 section, we have a 1v1 and a 5v5 with very low starting points (income is still fixed at 7/4s of course). It gives a new dynamic to the game.
:shameless advertisement:

lol, that might make it better, I'll have to try that out.

molnibalage
General

Postby molnibalage » Fri 6 Sep 2013 11:17

- Gameplay is usually much more dynamic as opposed to the static destruction campfest

Play total destr. or set the max. PTS for goal. In total destr. most of players try to drive out the enemy from the battlefield.

Return to “Wargame : AirLand Battle”