HobMod: the comprehensive balance mod for Wargame

Moderators: Eugen Team, Focus Team

Hob_Gadling
Captain

HobMod: the comprehensive balance mod for Wargame

Postby Hob_Gadling » Fri 6 Sep 2013 13:24

HobMod is the first publicly available mod for Wargame: AirLand Battle. It is a pure balance mod: only unit stats are changed. There are no new units, maps or game mechanics for the time being. It does however have a lot of tanks.

Where can I get it?

HobMod.com!

Current version is 1.20. Make sure you have this or you may inadvertedly cause desyncs!

MacOS version is also available. It may update a little slower. Send me a message if it hasn't updated in a while and you want the latest version.

There is a steam group for you to join if you want to be notified when games are played with this mod.

Changelog

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... 0ZlE#gid=0

Currently working on

Nothing. It's done! (but I balanced it a little bit)

What's next?

Bug fixes. Send me replays, people!

I've got a balance suggestion!

Feel free to talk balance in this thread. There are only two ground rules you have to follow:

1) Unless you can convince me the core model for a system is bad, stick within the defined model. I will not change entire pricing models unless they are broken. That said, they may very well be and if they are the sooner you let me know the sooner I can start fixing it.
2) Respect other people. Just because the idea is retarded doesn't mean the person who suggested it is. :)

Is this cheating? Will I be banned?

No, it is not cheating. I've talked this through with Eugen and they have allowed modded games as long as they do not interfere with normal gameplay. Since you can't join unmodded games there should be no problems. That said, two things:

1) Absolutely do not try to play ranked with modded game. This may be grounds for banning your account temporarily or permanently.
2) There are no 10v10 servers for the time being. If this becomes popular enough one (or more!) will be set up. Let me know.

Mod tools and technical talk

This thread is for HobMod gameplay aspects only. Use this thread for techy stuff: viewtopic.php?f=91&t=34714

Obvious mistakes in pricing, availability etc. belong to this thread. Two thousand T-55L: never forget!

HobMod? Really?

Blame Guggy.

Three core ideas: the general balancing guidelines

1) Doctrinal authenticity over mechanical accuracy.

Exact mechanical capabilities of the units are not interesting. You can not take a copy of Jane's and translate the statistics of hardware directly into the game. Wargame has too many engine limitations for that. Maps are simplified, AI isn't smart enough for complex ideas and the whole thing happens in real time. This is also a game. Replicating the command experience is more fun than replicating the armory precisely.

HobMod will make some assumptions and simplifications while modeling systems. One of them is the concept of "core" army. Each side has a handful of units which are slightly OP in comparison to other units of the same nation. These units form the backbone of each nation, and are expected to be used more often than other units.

2) Wargame has only one type of battle. That is the point of decision battle, the "swing" battle. Minor nations know they can not win a war of attrition. That's why they gather the very best they have available and commit it into one knockout blow, to deal significant damage to enemy army. As they only have one shot at it, they will conserve their forces until there is a reasonable chance of success.

In game terms, this means minor nations should have chances even against superpowers. Maybe not quite equal, but good enough to give it a try. Minor nation prototypes are typically very cheap while equal superpower prototypes are prices as non-prototypes. Top end units are very expensive; the risk of losing them and the subsequent delay of future operations means superpowers favor less-than-best troops as their main fighting force. Elite units are in high demand; minor nations are more willing to commit them into a battle that may decide their future.

3) A mobile battle. AirLand Battle is mobile warfare cranked to eleven. Activity is interesting, it is fun and it allows worse players to have better chances against good ones as there are overall more mistakes in a game.

Pricing will generally favor line units over support. Line units can not engage the enemy without a risk to themselves. If line units are successful, they can immediately take over or vacate the grounds. Support units have a role in the fight, but victory will be decided on the front line. To this end, HobMod will favor tanks, infantry in their IFVs and fighter jets over other unit types.

And finally, it is a game. Playing Wargame should be fun and engaging for both the grognard and the competitive player. HobMod attempts to cater to both, within the limits of the existing engine. There is enough room to fudge the details to keep both types satisfied.
Last edited by Hob_Gadling on Tue 6 May 2014 02:57, edited 29 times in total.

spyker92
Lieutenant

Re: HobMod: the comprehensive balance mod for Wargame

Postby spyker92 » Fri 6 Sep 2013 13:45

So, will I be able to easily change from hobmobmod to vanilla at the click of a button? :lol:

Hob_Gadling
Captain

Postby Hob_Gadling » Fri 6 Sep 2013 13:47

Reversing should be easy enough. Installation instructions explain what needs to be done.

I'm not much of an web zone designer. If anyone wants to lend me a hand it'd be greatly appreciated. :)

Satire
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby Satire » Fri 6 Sep 2013 14:46

Will probably try this tomorrow ~

Might do a steam backup first ; )
Alias - Cpt.Fantastic

REDDQ
General

Postby REDDQ » Fri 6 Sep 2013 14:56

Well, congrats! It is really impressive.

Arch
Lieutenant

Postby Arch » Fri 6 Sep 2013 15:27

Lets hope this gets popular and standard.

Hob_Gadling
Captain

Postby Hob_Gadling » Fri 6 Sep 2013 16:17

REDDQ wrote:Well, congrats! It is really impressive.

Thank you! Since I know it matters to you a great deal, Poland has received a significant boost in comparison to superpowers. Check out the new, sexy Wilk. ;)

Grosnours
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Grosnours » Fri 6 Sep 2013 16:25

Congrats for all the hard work put in this mod. ;)

AlmightyTallest
Warrant Officer

Postby AlmightyTallest » Fri 6 Sep 2013 17:41

It's really fun to use this mod with the Campaigns, certainly allows for a different gameplay experience with the price differences.

Shifu
Lieutenant General

Postby Shifu » Fri 6 Sep 2013 17:42

Congrats Hob - nice to see you're not dead :D

Return to “Modding”