Mod - Announcing "Radu's Radical Realism" Mod

Moderators: Eugen Team, Focus Team

RaduM
Warrant Officer

Mod - Announcing "Radu's Radical Realism" Mod

Postby RaduM » Mon 23 Sep 2013 17:15

I've been hatching this little brainstorm of mine ever since I heard there might be a shadow of a chance that W:ALB might be moddable.

Thanks to the efforts of Hob_Gadling,Enokha and D-M, this is a reality today.

So what does this mod hope to accomplish? Infuse a bit of ArmA-level of authenticity in the game within the given the W:ALB ruleset.

The desired end-state is for this mod to model engagements on the scale of 1 Battalion / Player (Thus 10v10 games can potentially be considered Division-sized clashes) with a higher level of accuracy than the "base" W:ALB does, but still in harmony with the overall game system.

Some highlights :

- Choose Your Nation - No more multinational decks. All units are exclusive to their respective nations It should not come as a surprise to anyone that multi-national cooperation did not happen at battalion level in 1985. As such, you will need to pick a flag to carry forward to victory or defeat, whatever may come.

(That's not to say that multinational formations wouldn't happen, but they would only happen to remnants in an ad-hoc manner in case of a catastrophic enemy breakthrough or nuclear war aftermath. Not what W:ALB is about IMO)

- Choose Your Battalion - No more mixed decks. Decks will portray Battalion-sized battlegroups built around a core battalion type + support from higher echelons (regiment/brigade,division,corps,etc). Each Battalion Type will greatly affect the kind of forces available based on 1985-era TOEs.

The Battalion Types will be :
- Motorized Battalion - CORE -> Infantry in Trucks/APCs
- Mechanized Battalion - CORE -> Infantry in APCs/IFVs + Tanks (2/3 Mech. Infantry + 1/3 Tanks,usually)
- Armored Battalion - CORE -> Tanks + Infantry in APCs/IFVs (2/3 Tanks + 1/3 Mech. Infantry)
- Air Assault Battalion - CORE -> Infantry in Helicopters
- Parachute Battalion - CORE -> Infantry in Trucks/APCs (overall similar to Motorized but much higher quality troops, particularly Infantry. May also feature airdropped armored vehicles for additional fire support)
- Marine Battalion - CORE -> Infantry in APCs + Tanks (2/3 Infantry + 1/3 Tanks. Similar to Mechanized except Strategic Mobility considerations lead to the equipment being "lighter" in terms of armor/armament but the overall quality of the troops is stellar).

(As mentioned before, attached to the Battalion Core is support from higher echelons like Regiment/Brigade Recon, Divisional or Corps Attack Helicopters, Divisional Artillery, Divisional/Corps Combat Engineers, etc. All of them will be in quantities that reflect the era Tables of Organization and Equipment for each nation.)

- Authentic unit behaviour and attributes. Every unit will have its place on the battlefield.

(Note : I put "behaviour" before "attributes". If a unit or weapon system needs unrealistic values to output realistic effects, so be it).

CURRENT PROGRESS (Updated as I go) :
Make All Units Nation-Exclusive (Prototype) (Completed)
Scale of 1 in-game meter is 1 real-life meter (Completed)
----> Infantry Warfare (units,mechanics)

ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS :
- Focus Home + Eugen Systems for making this game happen
- Hob_Gadling for his relentless efforts to decypher the file format
- Enokha for his Modding Tool
- And D-M for his work on Tool Documentation

(If I'm forgetting somebody,let me know)

Here's hoping this turns into something people will enjoy.
Last edited by RaduM on Sun 29 Sep 2013 11:19, edited 4 times in total.
REALISM 1980 Mod - OUT NOW - Want some Authentic Gameplay to go with that Authentic Armory ?

Uncle_Joe
Second-Lieutenant

Re: Mod - Announcing "Radu's Radical Realism" Mod

Postby Uncle_Joe » Mon 23 Sep 2013 17:28

Would love to see this.

I think the mixed 'greatest hits' decks make the game stale faster by constantly having (almost forcing!) the same units on both sides of the field game after game.

It would be very cool if you can pool this off but given the number of mods that will be flying around I doubt that any particular one is going to 'stick' well enough to generate 10v10s where a mod like this one would REALLY shine.
"Don't you know that in the Service one must always choose the lesser of two weevils?"

Arch
Lieutenant

Postby Arch » Mon 23 Sep 2013 17:29

Mite b cool.

D-M

Postby D-M » Mon 23 Sep 2013 17:31

Remeber that it might not be a simple thing to do. You can't add new rules, just modify those that exist already. We would need some sort of scripting to be able to do this.

raventhefuhrer
Colonel

Postby raventhefuhrer » Mon 23 Sep 2013 17:32

While the mod itself sounds like something I'd probably support... Given how small the Wargame community is, and how difficult it can be to find a game already, I don't know how this or any other mod is successful. I can't imagine how hard it is to find players with the same mod installed. You basically have to set games up a week in advance with people on the forums or in clans and hope everyone shows up I guess.
My YouTube Channel is Raven Wargaming. Message me to request videos on certain topics.

RaduM
Warrant Officer

Postby RaduM » Mon 23 Sep 2013 17:35

D-M wrote:Remeber that it might not be a simple thing to do. You can't add new rules, just modify those that exist already. We would need some sort of scripting to be able to do this.

I'm aware of this. It's all within the confines of the established "foundation". We'll run into "limits" I'm sure, but that's the way it is. I'll modify the original post, though with the remark.
REALISM 1980 Mod - OUT NOW - Want some Authentic Gameplay to go with that Authentic Armory ?

BTR
General

Postby BTR » Mon 23 Sep 2013 18:44

RaduM wrote:The desired end-state is for this mod to model engagements on the scale of 1 Battalion / Player (Thus 10v10 games can potentially be considered Division-sized clashes) with a higher level of accuracy than the "base" W:ALB does, but still in harmony with the overall game system.

Doesn't add up, but all the best.

Avtomat
Sergeant

Postby Avtomat » Mon 23 Sep 2013 18:57

You're doing god's work OP
Good luck
"The speed of the thing, Pavel Pavlovitch. The speed and the power. It makes the Hitlerite blitzkrieg look like a peasant horse and cart."

ikalugin
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby ikalugin » Mon 23 Sep 2013 19:00

Regimental scale for deck would make by far better sense, as quite a few nations did not have standing combined arms groupings below that.
Spoiler : :
We need more missilez code for the missilez god.
Praslovan:
"Tactical Ikalugin inbound on this position in 10... 9..."

RaduM
Warrant Officer

Postby RaduM » Mon 23 Sep 2013 20:02

ikalugin wrote:Regimental scale for deck would make by far better sense, as quite a few nations did not have standing combined arms groupings below that.

I'm assuming you are talking about Combined Arms Battalions that contain both Mech Inf and Tanks. And I agree that there were few if any such instances of "organic" Combined Arms Battalions.

However, it is my understanding the stated Tables of Organization and Equipment keep a tally of available forces, but do not rigidly describe how a formation deploys in actual combat.

So for example, if a Division has a Recon Battalion, that Recon Battalion will not deploy in one "clump" but be broken up and usually cross-attached.

Or for an Airborne Division, if that Division has an Airborne Tank Battalion, that battalion will not deploy alone, with no infantry support. It will be disseminated among the Airborne Brigades/Regiments.

Same for a Mechanized Infantry Battalion in an Armored Regiment/Brigade, it acts as support for the core formations, the Tank Battalions. The Mech Inf Battalion would be broken up and its Companies cross-attached to the other Tank Battalions obviously to provide Combined Arms support the same as any other support assets like Recon,Artillery,Anti-Air,Anti-Tank,Combat Engineer, Aviation(Helicopters),etc.

In conclusion, it's my knowledge that Armored/Mechanized Regiments/Brigades would deploy in battalion-sized combined arms battlegroups.

Return to “Modding”