How to: stop helo spam

GeneralBergfrühling
Corporal

How to: stop helo spam

Postby GeneralBergfrühling » Tue 8 Oct 2013 19:29

Hi there,

as all the discussions about annoying helo spam (and all the related issues) do not lead to anything, how about the pros post their best anti-helo-spam decks and tactics? This might be the best hotfix for all this s**t and help keep the player base, as more and more people seem to abandon WALB. Maybe those lame all-for-the-win players start thinking of different strategies once they encounter massive resistance ingame.

What do you think?

Rorschach
Lieutenant General

Re: How to: stop helo spam

Postby Rorschach » Tue 8 Oct 2013 19:38

A whole deck dedicated to anti helo spam would be terrible at anything else. Just try and include units that deal with heli spams well.

For me, a Ka-50 above a town will stop any airlifted troops.
Some good anti heli AAA will do nicely, such as a Gepard, Vulcan, or Tunguska. SPAAGs will stunlock most heli spams, whilst some missile AA might get overwhelmed.

With large bunches of gunships, use AoE AA, such as the Buk-M1. A good hit can take out 3 gunships at once!

Recon is also important. A cheap 40pt recon heli at the start of the game will warn you of any spams, and let you hide your CVs and get your AA into position.

Missile AA- Kills helis, but might get overwhelmed.
SPAAGs- Stun and panic helis, stopping them from firing back, then killing them.

Oh, and always have a fighter ready to pick off any gunships, and try and SPREAD your AA out, so they don't all get stunned at once by some rockets.
A brilliant plan from the dirtiest euro-hippie: get US players to pay me for a game that I then show them how much their military sucks so I can feel better about being a communist.

GeneralBergfrühling
Corporal

Postby GeneralBergfrühling » Tue 8 Oct 2013 19:41

Yeah you're right, maybe I did not choose my words correctly. This is not supposed to be about all-against-helo-spam-decks, but which units you should have to be able to counter it. ;)

spyker92
Lieutenant

Postby spyker92 » Tue 8 Oct 2013 19:42

It's called AAA, LOTS OF AAA, and liberal use of autocannons and remembering to always leave something back to defend your CVs

I play every game nowadays expecting a helo spam / rush in some form. And it's just not a problem for me. Mind you, it does make the game frustrating and incredibly boring at times. (Just because I'm prepared for a helo rush, doesn't mean its not annoying as all hell)

GeneralBergfrühling
Corporal

Postby GeneralBergfrühling » Tue 8 Oct 2013 19:52

spyker92 wrote:[...]Mind you, it does make the game frustrating and incredibly boring at times. (Just because I'm prepared for a helo rush, doesn't mean its not annoying as all hell)

Yes, that is definitely the worst part... even if you destroy his choppers, it's just no fun at all...

DeuZerre
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!
Location: Universe, Galaxy, Solar System, Earth, Ground, Eurasian Continent, Main Landmass.

Postby DeuZerre » Tue 8 Oct 2013 20:12

GeneralBergfrühling wrote:Hi there,

as all the discussions about annoying helo spam (and all the related issues) do not lead to anything, how about the pros post their best anti-helo-spam decks and tactics? This might be the best hotfix for all this s**t and help keep the player base, as more and more people seem to abandon WALB. Maybe those lame all-for-the-win players start thinking of different strategies once they encounter massive resistance ingame.

What do you think?

Repeating what's already been said:
Hotfix: not during the competitions seasons.
Permanent fix: Almost ready for RD

People abandoning W:ALB:
- Big games are out (BF4 - Rome II - GTA V) that drain a lot of the playerbase (me included)

Counter tactics
- Cluster bombers with "attack ground" do a rampage
- Always have AA helos at the ready
- Think "fire on the move": Strela 10M, etc... This will help cover your initial moves
- Send cheap planes at the start to spot the enemy's helos and know where to reinforce
- Always have some anti-infantry stuff ready, like rocket helicopters, to kill the raining men
- Get some napalm to send on towns...
Marshal honoris causa
FLX wrote:Removing the weaknesses from the divisions leads to all divisions being the same in the long run. We won't proceed like that.

praslovan
Major-General

Postby praslovan » Tue 8 Oct 2013 20:16

DeuZerre wrote:Hotfix: not during the competitions seasons.
Permanent fix: Almost ready for RD

"Tournament" instance could be made in steam betas... so life can run normal for the rest of the week.

DeuZerre
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!
Location: Universe, Galaxy, Solar System, Earth, Ground, Eurasian Continent, Main Landmass.

Postby DeuZerre » Tue 8 Oct 2013 20:38

That's... Actually a smart idea.
Marshal honoris causa
FLX wrote:Removing the weaknesses from the divisions leads to all divisions being the same in the long run. We won't proceed like that.

Mako
General

Postby Mako » Tue 8 Oct 2013 20:39

Wait... so can this happen?
If there's two kinds of players, those that like challenges and those that want a fair game, pubstomps should make everyone happy.

QuakeRiley
Lieutenant

Postby QuakeRiley » Tue 8 Oct 2013 20:42

What helos are the enemy uses, which side and if you choice, what nation?

These need to be answered before OP can be answered, not every nation will have the same answer. Though the obvious AA helos, AAA and IR vehicles applies.
"...In their Centurions, the 8th Hussars have evolved a new type of tank warfare. They taught us that anywhere a tank can go, is tank country: even the tops of mountains."

Return to “Wargame : AirLand Battle”