helicopter armor

Count
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: helicopter armor

Postby Count » Fri 11 Oct 2013 20:43

AntiAirMan wrote:
AntiAirMan wrote:Did....
Did Count just imply 5.56 can't penetrate fabric?

the wings and the tank can be penetrated even by 5.56.
I didn't talk about the rest of the mi24.

Why you mentioned fabric before?
Wings empty inside so hitting them do nothing. http://references.charlyecho.com/Aviati ... hind-D.png
Tanks 105, 106 covered by wing/pylons and protected with usual measures and need something more than few 5.56
Last edited by Count on Fri 11 Oct 2013 20:48, edited 1 time in total.

mrl0ve
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby mrl0ve » Fri 11 Oct 2013 20:46

The original point of the thread was that helicopters can't use their guns to support ground troops..!
The guy who made the thread wanted to solve it via making the helicopters more resilent to small arms fire..

I don't think helicopters are to vulnerable to smallarms fire damage wise, but .. this is not the issue at all, the issue is that helicopters that want to use their main guns, are forced to go very very close and combined with their weird behaivour they always end up in smalls arms range.. This unnatural and the gun range must be increased !!

Count
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Count » Fri 11 Oct 2013 21:11

Here my 1 armor suggestion viewtopic.php?f=91&t=35832

Mako
General

Postby Mako » Fri 11 Oct 2013 23:29

mrl0ve wrote:The original point of the thread was that helicopters can't use their guns to support ground troops..!
The guy who made the thread wanted to solve it via making the helicopters more resilent to small arms fire..

I don't think helicopters are to vulnerable to smallarms fire damage wise, but .. this is not the issue at all, the issue is that helicopters that want to use their main guns, are forced to go very very close and combined with their weird behaivour they always end up in smalls arms range.. This unnatural and the gun range must be increased !!

This is the best solution.

As I have said, it is not at all uncommon for the 30mm on the Apache to engage targets at ranges well exceeding its effective range.
If there's two kinds of players, those that like challenges and those that want a fair game, pubstomps should make everyone happy.

Kraxis
Major-General

Postby Kraxis » Mon 14 Oct 2013 01:38

I think the main problem then becomes that gunarmed helicopters become OP against light vehicles. As a consequence regular autocannons need an increase in helicopter range, and then the cheap SPAAGs become even more obsolete and gunless helicopters begin to lose out a lot (not only in relative power but also in direct confrontations).

I'm not saying it can't be done, but there is a lot more at play than mere hitting infantry from further out. And I can understand if EUGEN don't want to step into that beartrap in order to fix gunships vs infantry.
[EUG]MadMat wrote:MadMat says so many things ... :twisted:

Return to “Wargame : AirLand Battle”