Napalm Launchers

Countess Bathory
Colonel

Napalm Launchers

Postby Countess Bathory » Wed 6 Nov 2013 12:08

Maybe I'll catch some flak from this but does anyone else think these napalm launchers are rather silly? It creates a stupid kind of overpowered-ness to infantry using them.

Their main disadvantage is of course that they cannot effectively damage tanks. That point is meaningless though as in many areas of common infantry combat (the hill on Trondheim, the forested areas near the centre city in Uppsula) tanks cannot go. It creates a stupid and dull kind of gameplay where it's PACT bringing the Spetsnaz and NATO bringing Assault Engineers and that's it really. It's such an advantage that a lone East German Pioneer squad can easily go toe to toe with Kustjagare or Royal Marines, or a lone Assault Engineer squad taking out VDV and the such with ease.

So yeah, interested to hear thoughts on these napalm launchers.
Accept Roki Vulovic as your Lord and Saviour today and beware of the false prophet, Jesus Christ

Bryan
General

Re: Napalm Launchers

Postby Bryan » Wed 6 Nov 2013 12:21

Countess Bathory wrote:Maybe I'll catch some flak from this but does anyone else think these napalm launchers are rather silly? It creates a stupid kind of overpowered-ness to infantry using them.

Their main disadvantage is of course that they cannot effectively damage tanks. That point is meaningless though as in many areas of common infantry combat (the hill on Trondheim, the forested areas near the centre city in Uppsula) tanks cannot go. It creates a stupid and dull kind of gameplay where it's PACT bringing the Spetsnaz and NATO bringing Assault Engineers and that's it really. It's such an advantage that a lone East German Pioneer squad can easily go toe to toe with Kustjagare or Royal Marines, or a lone Assault Engineer squad taking out VDV and the such with ease.

Agree, they should not be so effective at forrest fighting, they should excel at CQB urban fights as proven in Chechnya.

2 spetsnaz squads will obliterate every infantry you throw at them and their price does not do them justice. They will easily eat any infantry alive.

However one could also argue that the sheer amount of infantry the Danes, Norse and Swede Armies over powers the Soviets.
And that the Norwegians being the best and most plentiful will need to subcontract their functions to send more men to valhall.

All in all I think its a necessary evil thats too evil right now...

Person012345
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Person012345 » Wed 6 Nov 2013 12:32

This is because they are anti infantry infantry. Don't send infantry to kill them unless you massively overpower them. Also their napalm launchers appear to have limited range. Idk for sure and I can't check because I'm not at my PC but I know I've killed spetz with us marines before without them even attempting to fire napalm at me.

Bryan
General

Postby Bryan » Wed 6 Nov 2013 12:35

Person012345 wrote:This is because they are anti infantry infantry. Don't send infantry to kill them unless you massively overpower them. Also their napalm launchers appear to have limited range. Idk for sure and I can't check because I'm not at my PC but I know I've killed spetz with us marines before without them even attempting to fire napalm at me.

In the right hands.....like mine :D You US marines do not stand a chance.
1st shot stuns, kills 5-7 men. 2nd shot finishes them off.

The spetsnaz that just charge at you are not doing it right, using Attack move is another great way to maximise such units.

EvilFrog
Corporal

Postby EvilFrog » Wed 6 Nov 2013 12:36

Person012345 wrote:This is because they are anti infantry infantry. Don't send infantry to kill them unless you massively overpower them. Also their napalm launchers appear to have limited range. Idk for sure and I can't check because I'm not at my PC but I know I've killed spetz with us marines before without them even attempting to fire napalm at me.

spetz have machine gun with a acc 11 8-)

Sleksa
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Sleksa » Wed 6 Nov 2013 12:48

Countess Bathory wrote:Maybe I'll catch some flak from this but does anyone else think these napalm launchers are rather silly? It creates a stupid kind of overpowered-ness to infantry using them.

A 5 point transport with 1 armor is able to tank near infinite number of those launchers, if you see the engineers or spets in the forest, send apcs/jungle tanks in first. They also become useless once they spend their 4-6 ammo killing your 2 reservist squads.

Person012345
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Person012345 » Wed 6 Nov 2013 13:04

EvilFrog wrote:

spetz have machine gun with a acc 11 8-)

But the napalm is what makes them unstoppable killers please nerf. Bryan, if you outplay me then that's fine I'll lose that battle and fight elsewhere, not on your terms. That's what strategy is all about.

Aikmofobi
Lieutenant

Postby Aikmofobi » Wed 6 Nov 2013 13:09

They shouldn't even be in the game, let alone in such numbers.
Their very presence nullifies the use of other infantry in any role except as meat shields and thus is a must-have-unit seen every single game.
Making them prototype/national is a good start, it takes them out of NATO mixed but as every other PACT player seems to play USSR they'll still have access to the RPO.

Person012345
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Person012345 » Wed 6 Nov 2013 13:19

Gonna go ahead and point out that the glorious medium tank is perfect for mopping up spetz.

Do you guys make infantry charges at things without support? Generally speaking for me infantry tend to be meatshield scouts when making a push into a point whilst 16+ tank cannons do the majority of the killing. When the infantry get inside the same building sector as the enemy and it turns purple that's when I begin relying on the infantry to kill.

Countess Bathory
Colonel

Postby Countess Bathory » Wed 6 Nov 2013 13:32

Tanks cannot drive everywhere though...I said that in the OP.
Accept Roki Vulovic as your Lord and Saviour today and beware of the false prophet, Jesus Christ

Return to “Wargame : AirLand Battle”