Questions about Canada's deck

Lcpd98
Sergeant

Questions about Canada's deck

Postby Lcpd98 » Wed 27 Nov 2013 16:32

Hi all. I'm planning to try out Canada's national deck. I've made a deck in which I'll try soon, but not now.
It seems to me that the Canadians do not have very good tanks, and lack AA. 0_o something similar to the British deck in the first beta release? Lol.
I filled the deck with mostly infantry and planes. They seem to have very good close range anti-tank infantry and the planes are cheap (except the hornet) so I could take on high-tier PACT helicopters. :P
So, am I right to say that the Canadians are more of a defensive nation, rather than the offensive which would suit the US?
--------
Anyway, I was hoping that Canada get some helicopters. It seems so weird not to have any supporting helicopters.... Maybe one with rockets like the Huey? Maybe?
And, the Hornet doesn't seem to have a livery yet, or is it just me?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (90.1 KiB) Viewed 717 times

raventhefuhrer
Colonel

Re: Questions about Canada's deck

Postby raventhefuhrer » Wed 27 Nov 2013 17:10

Here's a picture of my Canadian deck, just for reference http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =198573611

My first thought is you have two cards too many for planes, and could use more infantry and a mortar. Also, I'd recommend the Cougar tanks. They're fast and light, and great for fire support, ambushes, flanking maneuvers, and plinking rushes of APCs.
My YouTube Channel is Raven Wargaming. Message me to request videos on certain topics.

QuakeRiley
Lieutenant

Postby QuakeRiley » Wed 27 Nov 2013 18:12

Where are the Centurions? The Mk.11 is a nice tank to use and post-patch it is even better.
Could switch the M109s for mortars since they'd eat less ammo but your choice.
There is no point in taking TOW 2 units, not since you're Canada and the ADATs got a ground based range buff.
If you're going to be infantry based, take Cougars. What they lack in weaponry they make up in 150KPH, they will be the first tanks there and can get cheeky shots off on enemy tansports.
"...In their Centurions, the 8th Hussars have evolved a new type of tank warfare. They taught us that anywhere a tank can go, is tank country: even the tops of mountains."

QUAD
Colonel

Postby QUAD » Wed 27 Nov 2013 19:20

With Canada, you should try and rapidly seize ground with their super fast chopper and Eryx armed Highlanders/ Javelins. While they hold on, you bring in the cavalry.

Once you have the "ground", then you Get To BRING IN DA CHIMERA.

Sorry if this was extremely abstract, but it's what I do, more or less.

mehoo462
Corporal

Postby mehoo462 » Wed 27 Nov 2013 19:57

Starfighters as CAP is your AA. You need 2 or 3 of them in the air circling near the front at all times. They do a good job against helos and if you have a freedom fighter behind them it should deter most bombers.

Be defensive with your planes cuz if you lose them you're in trouble. If he scrambles a bunch of fancier interceptors at you then you might be in trouble. But if he's invested that much in expensive planes you might be able to take him on the ground.

Skapa
Master Sergeant

Postby Skapa » Wed 27 Nov 2013 20:11

QuakeRiley wrote:There is no point in taking TOW 2 units, not since you're Canada and the ADATs got a ground based range buff.

Personally I disagree, while the ADATS buff was certainly welcome, it is still the principal ground aa unit of Canada. Using them in direct combat could hurt you later on if they get taken out. TOW 2's have good punch and its range is still a threat to minor nations ( and even the major ones if you ambush/ are careful with them) . Plus they can nicely complement your Chimera's leaving your ADATS for anti-helo/plane duty.

By all mean use the ADATS for AT duty if you wish but given the number of activation points and deck slots Canada has available I really don't see the harm in bringing the TOW 2 platforms.

RedDevilCG
Colonel

Postby RedDevilCG » Wed 27 Nov 2013 21:11

Canada is tough to use, but lots of fun.
They are an infantry heavy army and get high vet artillery (not the huge guns though), so have fun bringing in a variety of troops. Come to think of it, they sort of remind me of CoH artillery tree for the Brits....
You're air defence bubble is horrible, so hopefully your teammate is focussing more on that. You do have good options against helicopters with your MANPADS, ADATS and Cat C planes.

Really there are only two types of effective specialites: none, or Mechanized.
With mechanized, you can get your ADATS up to Veteran/Elite at start, and your artillery does too.

Mechanized
Pros:
Great choice as you don't have any Helicopters in the Helo tab to lose, and it buffs your support tab hard (ADATS, artillery).
With this deck you are basically doing the classic Helicopter rush with Veteran Vandoos and Veteran Highlanders to grab center cities or other key choke points. You then follow up with non-vet troops (Candian rifles) and other troops in the slower ground transport trucks and APCs (you lose the super fast Grizzly in mech) as needed such as the Genies, manpads, MOAR Vandoos. You're supporting with Artillery sitting back at the FOB, and Mortars at the front.

Cons:
You lose the superfast Grizzly APC (which is why you're focusing on Helo transports which you keep), lynx recon, and Cougar/Cougar recon.

If you want access to everything (Cougar, Grizzly ATV, small recon vehicles), you just go regular Canadian deck.

On the Cougar:
The Cougar is the counterpart to the British Scopion and has received the same buffs in the last patch. The main gun is identicle, but it has the maximum possible speed in the game in trade for the loss of the MG. HEAT rounds mean it can engage at max range and still damage T80Us. It's cheap so you spam it and flank, or race through forests. Sadly not in Mech decks. I usually vet them, and mix in 1 Recon Cougar so that on the flanks they can see and fire first in any blind engagement. This is the F1 race car of tanks.

On the Centurians:
The Centurian MK11's are great tanks for the price, but run out of gas fast. Basically they won't make it more than a 1/4 accross the smallest maps, and with the supply truck nerf, it's not worth risking supplies getting destroyed getting to them. Use these defensively most of the time. Call them in at forward reinforcement spots as pillboxes in forests and flanks near the front. Call in their cheaper brothers in the back as pickets in the forests against special forces attacks against your FOB and starting CV. The cheaper ones work fine for this as their HE stays the same, and they'll be engaging at short range in the forest anyways. 1 Card of Mk11's, is probably more than enough, but without Cougars, it's only 1pt more to grab another card of MK11's or the cheaper brothers.

Leopard C1's:
These are the best tanks we have, and are somewhere between a LeoA4 and A5, making them about the best you can get for non proto Leos. Grab both cards as it's about all you got.

Chimera:
A static Cheiftan on steriods. Grab the card.

ATGMs:
All we have is in the Vehicle tab. Take both iTOWS, maybe vet them, TUA is optional (it's damn expensive) but you got the points for it usually, the rest you can play with and let me know how they work ;)

Planes:
CF-188 is a great cluster plane which is fast, very manueverable, and has the best Sidewinders in the game. It just got a price reduction too.
CF-5 is our rather expensive helicopter hunter. Its missiles got nerfed in the patch, but its price is still the same at 70pts. This might have just been missed by the devs though. We'll have to ask the Marshal's or Devs about that.
CF-104 is our source of HE, and does a great job at it too! Don't attack ground, but actually target the unit you want to hit. It will be saturated in a cone of death. Doesn't work great agaist tanks despite what some have said, but does panic the hell out of them. Cone isn't that big, so usually only works in a precision strike.
CF-18 will be our permier A2A fighter once the DLC hits.

Hope this helps, and what others have said is good advice too!

RedDevilCG
Colonel

Postby RedDevilCG » Wed 27 Nov 2013 21:26

raventhefuhrer wrote:Here's a picture of my Canadian deck, just for reference http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =198573611

My first thought is you have two cards too many for planes, and could use more infantry and a mortar. Also, I'd recommend the Cougar tanks. They're fast and light, and great for fire support, ambushes, flanking maneuvers, and plinking rushes of APCs.

Actually, I like your deck too raven :D

Return to “Wargame : AirLand Battle”