Result of the supply cut

KeyLord
Command Sergeant Major

Re: Result of the supply cut

Postby KeyLord » Sun 1 Dec 2013 00:18

I love the current system. Assaulting is easy, as it always was, the idea is to actually PLAN AHEAD. I.e. Spawn supply trucks, bring them up towards the front, so when they are needed they are very close by. As soon as those supply trucks are required, spawn in a new batch of trucks, and keep them behind a bit. Typically you should have 2000 supply or so just behind your front at any time, just in case it is required.

As soon as some trucks are emptied, fast travel them back to your FOB, and bring them back to hover behind the front. With the new logistics tab, you have more activation points to play with, so it's pretty easy to have 2 cards of trucks, and a FOB, resulting in 30k supply total.

Total destruction should actually be called 'Total Attrition'. The entire game mode revolves around being able to manage your units frugally, and micro out your supply. Spam arty? Out of supply. Spam hellfires? out of supply. Resupplying units that you don't end up using? Your loss. It actually adds to a gameplay, because it's not just about out-maneuvring your enemy, it's about outsmarting them and beating them in the battle that occurs behind your front line.

Zues
Sergeant

Postby Zues » Sun 1 Dec 2013 01:12

I have been reading all the the various patch threads this past week and I am starting to see a pattern emerge in regards to supplies... 10v10. Most of the complaints are directly related to 10v10 gameplay. The patch changes seems to fit nicely with 1v1 and 2v2, but deteriorate as you scale up to the larger games.

In 10v10, we have unique supply requirements due to...

Largest map in the game
    Longest timer in the game at 60 minutes
    Ability to field the largest number of units
    Arguably, the largest amount of micro required
    Greatest number of FOB/Supply leaches (intentional or otherwise)

There has also been some suggestions of how to address the issue, such as...

Free FOB
    Some kind of supply availability modifier to scale according to the game size (got my vote)
    Calling in additional FOBS mid game
    FOB Replenishment

People are very passionate about it and have spoken up. Thats great! I am not too worried about it. Eugen will refine the patch over time until a balance is met across ALL game sizes. I believe this patch was meant more for the smaller game sizes and that shortly; us 10v10 players will get it modified to meet OUR needs.

Long live 10v10 :)
WHEN IN ROME

K98-Schütze[GER]
Command Sergeant Major

Postby K98-Schütze[GER] » Sun 1 Dec 2013 01:37

I dont know what you play guys - but 40 minutes are the minimum for me. Sometimes even open end.
For me its nice to watch players open their usual repertoire within 15 minutes...after that - stalemate for them. Time to start the match for me and my usual buddy :D

Now make it on larger maps, with more teamplayer, time limit very high if so.
You will run out of supply.
All "...plan ahead..." and told stuff is, sorry for that, bull.

Its about spread supplies, supply organisation and also organisation of supply line, its about how much supply you can rotate on which distances.
I was doing very well before patch, even there sometimes run nearly out. Some players didnt do it before patch.
Now this players get "buffed".

"...plan ahead...." and "...just send trucks back..." I cant hear it anymore.

For me supply trucks were allready important as tanks.
Maybe we should decrease availible tanks to just 2 cards...each of them 4.....
...its neither for realistic nor for gameplay (with players who play other games than just victory points to 2000 or time limit to 30 minutes).
....different reasons more why supply topic is somehow broken and unbalanced now.
Last edited by OpusTheFowl on Mon 6 Jan 2014 17:51, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Language

Panzeh
Second-Lieutenant

Postby Panzeh » Sun 1 Dec 2013 01:40

I feel like the either the game needs to have a more involved and well thought out logistical system(becoming Wargame: Quartermaster Elite) or just let us buy our damn trucks and bring them up without fobbing. If you get rid of the most egregious side spawns, there's always going to be a line to cut because reinforcements are an important thing.

I don't find this compromise particularly interesting.

VikingHaag
Sergeant Major

Postby VikingHaag » Sun 1 Dec 2013 01:58

Zues wrote:
People are very passionate about it and have spoken up. Thats great! I am not too worried about it. Eugen will refine the patch over time until a balance is met across ALL game sizes. I believe this patch was meant more for the smaller game sizes and that shortly; us 10v10 players will get it modified to meet OUR needs.

Long live 10v10 :)

I hope you're right, MadMat hear our call, balance 10v10 again, supplies are broken now, sitzkrieg reins supreme and airspam has never been so scary.

Mukip
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Mukip » Sun 1 Dec 2013 14:32

Personally I doubt that people who play 60 minute or more matches make up the majority of players. In a game of limited supplies then the total amount of supplies will be balanced at one specific scale of gameplay, and end up being too little for a scale larger than that. Obviously, the amount of supplies cannot be correct for every scale of gameplay as long as there are limited supplies. I normally play with a 40-minute timer and find supplies get me through those games well enough. In a longer match... your opponents have the same problem that you do.

trotskygrad
General

Postby trotskygrad » Sun 1 Dec 2013 17:28

Mukip wrote:Personally I doubt that people who play 60 minute or more matches make up the majority of players. In a game of limited supplies then the total amount of supplies will be balanced at one specific scale of gameplay, and end up being too little for a scale larger than that. Obviously, the amount of supplies cannot be correct for every scale of gameplay as long as there are limited supplies. I normally play with a 40-minute timer and find supplies get me through those games well enough. In a longer match... your opponents have the same problem that you do.

then have a supply modifier in the lobby?
NEXT TIME I SEE A DAMN FLAMEWAR INVOLVING DARTH-LAMPSHADE, FROSTPOOKY, LONERIFLE, FADE2GRAY, TROTSKYGRAD AND/OR ANYONE INVOLVED IN A DISCUSSION BETWEEN THEM I'M GOING TO HAND OUT BANS TO ANYONE USING ANYTHING LOOKING REMOTELY LIKE AN AD-HOMINEM

Return to “Wargame : AirLand Battle”