Lillehammer

DeuZerre
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!
Location: Universe, Galaxy, Solar System, Earth, Ground, Eurasian Continent, Main Landmass.

Re: Lillehammer

Postby DeuZerre » Mon 9 Dec 2013 23:10

Sunshine wrote:
Tigga wrote:If you took both of them off the start, you won the game.

...and deserved to.
Whats your problem?

A battle decided in <5minutes with only the fist skirmishes?
Marshal honoris causa
FLX wrote:Removing the weaknesses from the divisions leads to all divisions being the same in the long run. We won't proceed like that.

Grosnours
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Grosnours » Mon 9 Dec 2013 23:15

Sunshine wrote:

...and deserved to.
Whats your problem?

My problem is that I don't like two minutes games.

Sunshine wrote:Also, I won rounds where the enemy DID had both lateral sectors.

Congratulations, you won against either brain dead opponents or massively unlucky ones.
In a fight between teams of the same skill, those two hills once taken were impregnable.

Sunshine wrote:People should get rid of that Starcraft gameplay.
Wargame matches are over when they are over, not when you lost a precious sector or unit.
Everything is possible, people just quit too early.

Everything is possible if your opponent is vastly inferior to you skill wise or unlucky or prone to mistakes. The field of possible is much more reduced against competent opponents.

Sunshine wrote:Same with Vasterbotten's city.
So the enemy holds both the city sectors?
Who cares, just kill more stuff than he does and win after all.

It's not at all the same with Vasterbotten. The central city is not a spawn point, and yes losing it doesn't mean losing the game, agreed.
But maps like Lillehammer or Kristiansund are (or were) posterboys for one of the main issue that plagues(ed) so many maps : decisive side spawn. Getting rid of them is something I'm very very happy about even though there is still work to do : I had more extreme suggestions than what was implemented. :D

Here in Lillehammer the issue is not about lack of side spawns. It's about width, or lack thereof. This map is actually in Portrait mode when it should be in Landscape mode, giving a much wider battle front and room to maneuver. Right now what we have is forest, one road to the hill, a plain, one road to the hill, forest. No wonder the options are limited, especially if six players are on the map.

Rotate the map 90°, play only 2v2 and there won't be any maneuvering issue anymore.

Adolith
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Adolith » Mon 9 Dec 2013 23:18

I also prefer the new Lillehammer. The old one was a massive rush to the cities, and after taken they very basically impossible to retake, given competent players.

Still, I would like improved roads on this map to somewhat shorten the travel distance (or give more route options) from the single spawn.

Niscimble
Sergeant Major

Postby Niscimble » Mon 9 Dec 2013 23:19

They should at least put a spawn on the side opposite of the air corridor. Having the one spawn makes it ridiculous.

Tigga
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Tigga » Mon 9 Dec 2013 23:21

Sunshine wrote:

...and deserved to.
Whats your problem?

On most other maps the only way you can decisively win in the first five minutes is if the other guy really messes it up. On this map it was quite likely the game could be decisively won very quickly with a rush to the side spawn. A large determining factor in this engagement was how good your deck was at this particular rush. If you could get a CV in there first, if only for a few seconds, the spawn area was yours. This lead to some very 1 dimensional games which were over very quickly.

Sunshine wrote:Same with Vasterbotten's city.
So the enemy holds both the city sectors?
Who cares, just kill more stuff than he does and win after all.

No you don't. You have to control more zones to win the game. Those zones were just not possible to capture if the enemy got a foothold in them and wasn't a moron. You're not going to win using the middle sectors from this position.

praslovan
Major-General

Postby praslovan » Mon 9 Dec 2013 23:23

Sunshine wrote:Also, I won rounds where the enemy DID had both lateral sectors.

People should get rid of that Starcraft gameplay.
Wargame matches are over when they are over, not when you lost a precious sector or unit.
Everything is possible, people just quit too early.

"You are my sunshine, my only sunshine, you make me happy when maps are... gay"
:lol:

No really. It is better now.
Last edited by praslovan on Mon 9 Dec 2013 23:30, edited 3 times in total.

Grosnours
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Grosnours » Mon 9 Dec 2013 23:23

Niscimble wrote:They should at least put a spawn on the side opposite of the air corridor. Having the one spawn makes it ridiculous.

I wouldn't mind that honestly, or having one spawn only in the middle to avoid having two spawns, I dunno (time for deployments through route/cross country need to be checked).
Rear spawn are much less an offender than side spawn, as when you reach them while attacking the game is pretty much done for anyways.

Tiera
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Tiera » Mon 9 Dec 2013 23:26

For a Conquest player, the new Lillehammer is markedly better than the old map that was really over in 5 minutes.
Removing the side spawns was a really good solution.

RedDevilCG
Colonel

Postby RedDevilCG » Mon 9 Dec 2013 23:30

You need to have a foward supply station though, or your Centurians will never make it more than half way!

arotished
Sergeant First-Class

Postby arotished » Mon 9 Dec 2013 23:41

With the new supply system and removal of the side spawns, hole map becames a huge stalemate.

I might agree that the spawns in the city was kinda game-breaking as if you got both citys, the game was most decided on the first 2-3 min but now it takes 10 min to get your tanks to the frontline and when they finally get there, they need fuel supply.

Dont remove them, move them,,,,

Return to “Wargame : AirLand Battle”