Mistakes you made as a newbie (W:AB and W:EE)

UnfriendlyFire
Master Sergeant

Mistakes you made as a newbie (W:AB and W:EE)

Postby UnfriendlyFire » Fri 3 Jan 2014 04:16

Back during August during my first WAB game, I remember attempting to do a helo infantry and CV rush on a small 1v1 map to capture a reinforcement sector right next to my opponent's sector. I also screwed up my CV placement so my CV helo was parked in the open in my spawn sector.

When I saw him bring in Tunguskas and a Mig fighter jet, I panicked and unloaded my infantry, right in front of his BMP-3s. Instead of running my infantry to the forest, I ordered them to march about 900 meters to the BMP-3s. My helo CV landed and I was only able to bring in reinforcements for about 3 seconds before it got cluster-bombed. And my reinforcements were more infantry, in transport trucks.

After my rush force got stomped pretty hard, I sat there staring at the screen for about a minute, wondering what to do as he begin to capture sectors. And then 4 Mi-24s came in to blow up my CV helo at the spawn sector.

EDIT: About a week or two weeks after that incident, I made a fatal error of protecting my T80s with only Zsu-57s (pre-buff, aka a range of less than 2800m) and Strella-10Ms due to paranoia of SEAD aircraft. The Seahawks, Apaches and cluster bombers ate my tanks for dinner and then my short-range AA for dessert. On the plus side, one of my Zsu-57s or Strella 10Ms stunned a Nighthawk, before getting hit with the pre-nerf 2000lb Paveway bomb.

raventhefuhrer
Colonel

Re: Mistakes you made as a newbie (W:AB and W:EE)

Postby raventhefuhrer » Fri 3 Jan 2014 04:56

My first multiplayer game I used (by mistake actually) a deck that had only very expensive American units...so Riflemen in Bradleys, M1A1 Abrams, and so on. Also by accident, I had the starting points set ridiculously low so I couldn't afford any of my units anyways.
My YouTube Channel is Raven Wargaming. Message me to request videos on certain topics.

shomu1
Major-General

Postby shomu1 » Fri 3 Jan 2014 05:38

My first multiplayer match on ALB was during the open beta. I don't really remember it. So many matches since then...

One of the mistakes I made was probably using cluster bombs on infantry. However, it was before people figured out CBUs had no effect on infantry.

What else can I think of... Hmm... I can't remember anything. April and May are a fuzz.

Pretty sure I got a lot of planes killed because I didn't evac them right, though. Or went head to had using Tomcats.

IT IS FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

RangerPL
Major

Postby RangerPL » Fri 3 Jan 2014 05:42

support deck

Bryan
General

Postby Bryan » Fri 3 Jan 2014 06:17

WEE
First game.
Three Mile Island
So it was a little after 2nd map pack when I got WEE, I was stalking it a little, watching YouTube replays etc.
so somehow I concluded that the T-64A was the best tank and BUK-M1 was best AA.
So I played a 4v4, TMI, deployed as many rookie T-64As money could buy, and a BUKM1, recon was unheard of.
Faced a platoon of 4 CR.1s.
'My T-64s are best tank! No problem!'
Within mere seconds I lost all 4 T-64As.
Brilliant.
Then I threw more T-64As into his tabks and fed his CR.1s. balaming their poor success on my newbieness.

2nd game
Hells Highway
Newbie mistake: I used T-72s as T-72s were 'Soviet Union's most capable and numerous tank, backbone of Soviet Armies...'

We won, it could'nt even kill a Chieftain Mk.5.

trotskygrad
General

Postby trotskygrad » Fri 3 Jan 2014 06:22

oh boi

I played SP first and read facepunch so I didn't make a lot of mistakes, but I remember that I didn't realize the joys of recon infantry until way later.

especially the awesomeness of fernspaher in infantry combat, back when it was a 10 man squad... memories :lol:
NEXT TIME I SEE A DAMN FLAMEWAR INVOLVING DARTH-LAMPSHADE, FROSTPOOKY, LONERIFLE, FADE2GRAY, TROTSKYGRAD AND/OR ANYONE INVOLVED IN A DISCUSSION BETWEEN THEM I'M GOING TO HAND OUT BANS TO ANYONE USING ANYTHING LOOKING REMOTELY LIKE AN AD-HOMINEM

bobjoeharris
Warrant Officer

Postby bobjoeharris » Fri 3 Jan 2014 06:28

In my first EE game I played pact(wow :lol: ) and I had a nice lvl 100 on my team who told me to just spam motostrelki in towns and to take t80s with tunguskas and I was ok, I won my first game ;)
I am [LCol] 'Harris' In ALB and RD, and 'Lt Col. Harris; in EE
bobjoeharris wrote:fighting for dry, colorless landscapes with boring grey houses, as dry napalm is dropped to further dry up the land, all while the silent ships watch from the silent sea :(

jonas165
Brigadier

Postby jonas165 » Fri 3 Jan 2014 06:30

I played CZ as a noob. That was a mistake itself. In the Beta of ALB, without DLC Units, they were worse then DDR is now. I often spammed tanks or planes when I didn´t knew what to do anymore, but this maybe successfull 1 out of 10 times. I also mismanaged my ADN and never used SPAAGs because I thought they are to weak, so I got often destroyed by Helos or SEAD. In general, I was not cautious enough, and just used my World in Conflict playstyle, which of course didn´t work in Wargame at all. Well, I´ve learned from that...
Alpha release. Click signature for more

UnfriendlyFire
Master Sergeant

Postby UnfriendlyFire » Fri 3 Jan 2014 06:32

I used to use Starship tanks as my frontline tanks, because I thought, "ATGMs are gud."

They were consistently reduced to burning scrap metal after engaging T-80s or high end T-64s.

Tirak
Second-Lieutenant

Postby Tirak » Fri 3 Jan 2014 06:33

WEE: "Dude, look at the stats on the Striker, it's going to be awesome!" (Spent command stars on the Striker)

WALB: "Oh come on, he's got like, one or two squads of Spetz, they can't possibly fight off 120 M60 Men!"

Return to “Wargame : AirLand Battle”