Mistakes you made as a newbie (W:AB and W:EE)

combat wombat
Corporal

Re: Mistakes you made as a newbie (W:AB and W:EE)

Postby combat wombat » Sun 5 Jan 2014 14:11

I got WEE in a sale because it looked pretty. I started out in single player and won the first two missions. I decided to try multiplayer. There were several issues with my knowledge. One, I thought AP was Anti-Personal. I didn't know what HE was. I played a multiplayer game. In multiplayer my helis kept on being shot down by SAMs. If you remember there were no SAMs in the early campaign. I saw that artillery had enormous HE power. I then concluded that HE was Helicopter and that his arty must be sniping my helicopters. As you can imagin, I lost all of my games horribly. I sorta freaked outl the first time i saw arty too.
The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.

-General Patton

Misfit
Captain

Postby Misfit » Sun 5 Jan 2014 14:25

In W:EE playing a ranked right away, map was Rivers of Blood and i left my spawn open as pact player. Didnt manage to get off the spawn Island the whole match.
Other than that, lots of misinterpretations of stats, in W:EE mostly.
Forgot the rest. :mrgreen:
Perlen vor die Säue.

Count
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Count » Sun 5 Jan 2014 20:12

I did not left matches immidiately when half team afk or someone buying 4xuragan + 4 buks in one slots.

von Luck
Sergeant First-Class

Postby von Luck » Sun 5 Jan 2014 22:33

in EE Beta I started a disturbing trend that I nicknamed "Thunder Run" where I purchased all of the T55 and some shilka then fast moved down the main road(s). While crudely affective I did not imagine it would be a re-occurring strategy I would see repeatedly throughout EE.

von Luck

UnfriendlyFire
Master Sergeant

Postby UnfriendlyFire » Tue 7 Jan 2014 16:36

I just made a huge, silly mistake last night.

Had my sappers burn out a portion of the forest while fighting enemy infantry.

Then I ordered them to march through the flames to chase down the enemy infantry.

Stun, panic, and the flames did more damage than what the enemy infantry did. And of course the enemy infantry came back to finish the job with reinforcements.

/facepalm

Drang
Major-General

Postby Drang » Tue 7 Jan 2014 23:25

Jereth wrote:
Mako wrote:I think Jereth means when he was a newbie, taking an FOB was an awful idea.

Yeah something like that. Although I still generally frown upon it. Too many games have I either A) seen my teammates deploy a FOB only to have it still be full (or near full) at the end of the match, B) Captured an enemy FOB, perfect for resupplying my assault force, or B) destroyed an enemy FOB. Also, I would wager that most people who can't live without a FOB are also using artillery, in which case I would stress my advice about "uncorrected shots".

I realize ultimately it is personal taste whether or not you use a FOB, but I will never recommend it to a noob. The deck slot is almost always better spent on supply vehicles. Come to think of it, I don't think I'd ever recommend for a noob to deploy artillery, go figure...

Artillery is great for long drawn out games I suppose. But I ask you... If all the points you spent on artillery and supplies was spent on manuever forces, would the game last long enough for artillery to be useful? Perhaps that is a discussion for another topic. :lol:

203mm artillery, or, as we call it...

British SEAD.

Borscht
Sergeant First-Class

Postby Borscht » Wed 8 Jan 2014 03:05

The usual, artillery support concentration, aircraft ololo rushes and such. Wait. I still do that :lol:
SOUP OF GLORIOUS DESIGN

UnfriendlyFire
Master Sergeant

Postby UnfriendlyFire » Wed 8 Jan 2014 05:39

wekwek_noob wrote:W:ALB

Using helicopters in the alpha.

Was that when Tomcats and Mig 31s could target helos with their radar missiles?

raventhefuhrer
Colonel

Postby raventhefuhrer » Wed 8 Jan 2014 05:46

I don't remember if Tomcats or MiG 31's could specifically (probably did though) but all plane's long range missiles could target helicopters, so you had helos getting picked off at 7 kilometers by Eagles and Su-27S' and so on. There was also a point where all AA basically had the same range against helicopters and planes, so you basically just used infrared AA because it was just as effective at killing planes as radar, but not vulnerable to SEAD.
My YouTube Channel is Raven Wargaming. Message me to request videos on certain topics.

KattiValk
General

Postby KattiValk » Wed 8 Jan 2014 06:05

Letting napalm units wander through their own munitions followed closely by my other forces.

Oh wait, that's the AI thinking napalm won't hurt at all and then yelling at me about how they're 'taking fire'.

Intelligent AI is intelligent...
Spoiler : Reaction Face :

Return to “Wargame : AirLand Battle”