Proper use of Centurion AVRE and M72B CEV?

CloakandDagger
Second-Lieutenant

Proper use of Centurion AVRE and M72B CEV?

Postby CloakandDagger » Sun 19 Jan 2014 23:36

So, I had an extra vehicle slot, with pretty much everything filled out, so I figured I would add a card of these to my deck.

Trouble is, I'm not actually sure what to DO with them. They have direct fire artillery cannons with decent range, and they have decent front armor, but I'm not actually sure how to use that.

So, could you guys educate me on their usage?

raventhefuhrer
Colonel

Re: Proper use of Centurion AVRE and M72B CEV?

Postby raventhefuhrer » Sun 19 Jan 2014 23:44

Basically you use them as fire support for infantry going into towns. It'll do good damage to infantry, especially those in buildings, so that's what you use it for. You may have to use the fire pos command to get the most out of it though, in terms of firing on units in buildings or tree lines that you can't actually see but you know where they are because you can see trails from their weapons or whatever.
My YouTube Channel is Raven Wargaming. Message me to request videos on certain topics.

CloakandDagger
Second-Lieutenant

Postby CloakandDagger » Sun 19 Jan 2014 23:47

So I basically use the direct fire artillery as direct fire artillery?

Radioshow
Second-Lieutenant

Postby Radioshow » Mon 20 Jan 2014 00:26

They have to be vetted. Having say 22 at trained is useless. You should bring them in at as high a vet as possible, have them spread out abit and use them as fire support. When vetted they have a decent accuracy and will still hit when under fire. At trained they wont hit anything and will rarely hit close enough to stun/panic.

I use them in my CAT B deck(mechanized mostly for the vet increase) and have 8 or 11 i think at hardened. they are quite handy at suppressing ATGM's and even tanks.

Remember, the purpose of a CAT C deck is not so much to have infinite numbers of units, but to also have a nice amount of much higher vetted units which can often perform much better than would otherwise be expected.
Take Starships for example, at trained they don't hit with the missile and the autocannon needs a big burst to hit.
Take them at elite and suddenly they hit with the missile quite well and rip stuff up with the AC very fast.
[EUG]MadMat wrote:Radioshow is not a troll, he is our resident Doom Prophet.

CloakandDagger
Second-Lieutenant

Postby CloakandDagger » Mon 20 Jan 2014 00:28

Radioshow wrote:They have to be vetted. Having say 22 at trained is useless. You should bring them in at as high a vet as possible, have them spread out abit and use them as fire support. When vetted they have a decent accuracy and will still hit when under fire. At trained they wont hit anything and will rarely hit close enough to stun/panic.

Isn't artillery one of the areas where this matters the least? I mean, you can just put them in groups of 4, and not only will you probably hit what the single vet arty did, but the whole area around it too. Plus you can even lose a tank and still have passable firepower.

Radioshow
Second-Lieutenant

Postby Radioshow » Mon 20 Jan 2014 00:34

They are not artillery, they just have a lofted type of shot but works the same as any other tank. At trained with 4 accuracy they wont hit a thing. At hardened/elite they have a much better hit ratio, and that is from a lot of personal experience.

With the deck you have unless you could call in all your units at once they would be picked off easily. Mass amounts of units are only good if you can call literally 20+ at a time, otherwise they are fodder. They are too weak and low vet to stand up to anything unless in massive numbers. But at higher vet levels they can stand up longer, hit better and provide more punch than would otherwise be available.

CloakandDagger
Second-Lieutenant

Postby CloakandDagger » Mon 20 Jan 2014 00:36

Radioshow wrote:They are not artillery, they just have a lofted type of shot but works the same as any other tank. At trained with 4 accuracy they wont hit a thing. At hardened/elite they have a much better hit ratio, and that is from a lot of personal experience.

With the deck you have unless you could call in all your units at once they would be picked off easily. Mass amounts of units are only good if you can call literally 20+ at a time, otherwise they are fodder. They are too weak and low vet to stand up to anything unless in massive numbers. But at higher vet levels they can stand up longer, hit better and provide more punch than would otherwise be available.

Alright. These tanks are ones I use rarely, so I guess there's no harm in going highest vet since I still probably won't run out.

Radioshow
Second-Lieutenant

Postby Radioshow » Mon 20 Jan 2014 00:37

8 is usually enough for me. they are not meant to be used as an attacker. Keep them back a bit a pull them up for supporting fire as they will easily stun/panic most units and are excellent for wiping out inf you can see.

CloakandDagger
Second-Lieutenant

Postby CloakandDagger » Mon 20 Jan 2014 00:42

Radioshow wrote:8 is usually enough for me. they are not meant to be used as an attacker. Keep them back a bit a pull them up for supporting fire as they will easily stun/panic most units and are excellent for wiping out inf you can see.

I considered switching to the US one for a moment, but then I realized that it has slightly lower numbers than the Brit version. A nice little bonus to have those 4 extra tanks at max vet.

Return to “Tips & Tutorials”