Red Eye vs Blowpipe

CloakandDagger
Second-Lieutenant

Red Eye vs Blowpipe

Postby CloakandDagger » Sun 19 Jan 2014 23:45

So, I have the option between the two in my deck. Or I can have one card of each.

I notice the Blowpipe has a slightly lower range and less accuracy, but 5 HE instead of 3, so it only needs 2 hits to kill rather than 4, which is a huge deal. It's also is only 5 points for a squad rather than 10.

While I love range, it's hard to argue against this kind of firepower. Although with the lower accuracy, I'm not sure if it's actually better.

What's the mathematical verdict?

raventhefuhrer
Colonel

Re: Red Eye vs Blowpipe

Postby raventhefuhrer » Sun 19 Jan 2014 23:57

Blowpipes are less accurate, have shorter range, and the most important distinction is that Blowpipes are [Guided] instead of [F&F] (fire and forget).

This means that when a Red Eye fires his missile, he's done with it. If he gets killed, panicked, or whatever, it doesn't affect how accurate his missile is. On the other hand, a Blowpipe needs to guide his missile to the target. That means if the Blowpipe guys are killed, panicked, or even lose sight of their target, the missile will miss. That, combined with the already low accuracy, makes the Blowpipe horrible unreliable.

I'd use the Redeye personally.
My YouTube Channel is Raven Wargaming. Message me to request videos on certain topics.

CloakandDagger
Second-Lieutenant

Postby CloakandDagger » Mon 20 Jan 2014 00:00

Ah yes, I knew I was forgetting something.

Still, I hear people say good things about the Blowpipe equipped SAS units. Although, that is 2 points more accurate.

GBNATO
General

Postby GBNATO » Mon 20 Jan 2014 00:08

I found max vet Blowpipes to be quite effective personally, used in clusters of 3 or 4 they usually murder whatever comes in range, this was in a CAT C deck mind you so I had tons of them. SAS Blowpipe is no joke either, I have found them to be extremely reliable.

Radioshow
Second-Lieutenant

Postby Radioshow » Mon 20 Jan 2014 00:28

If using a CAT C deck take them at as high a VET as possible. 44 units wont do much good if they never hit. But at elite they can get critical hits as well as being much more likely to score some hits. Much more efficient at elite as at trained they will miss far too much to be of use.
[EUG]MadMat wrote:Radioshow is not a troll, he is our resident Doom Prophet.

CloakandDagger
Second-Lieutenant

Postby CloakandDagger » Mon 20 Jan 2014 00:29

Radioshow wrote:If using a CAT C deck take them at as high a VET as possible. 44 units wont do much good if they never hit. But at elite they can get critical hits as well as being much more likely to score some hits. Much more efficient at elite as at trained they will miss far too much to be of use.

Critical hits are effected by Vet?

Radioshow
Second-Lieutenant

Postby Radioshow » Mon 20 Jan 2014 00:36

CloakandDagger wrote:Critical hits are effected by Vet?

Yes, very much so. Elite units are much more likely to score ammo box hits etc. on helos for instance. Also can score one shot kills and so on.

CloakandDagger
Second-Lieutenant

Postby CloakandDagger » Mon 20 Jan 2014 00:40

Radioshow wrote:
CloakandDagger wrote:Critical hits are effected by Vet?

Yes, very much so. Elite units are much more likely to score ammo box hits etc. on helos for instance. Also can score one shot kills and so on.

Oh... This changes things.

Do you have a thread link backing this up? I'd like to know the specifics.

Radioshow
Second-Lieutenant

Postby Radioshow » Mon 20 Jan 2014 00:50

viewtopic.php?f=93&t=28610

Much of it is in there and some is form W:EE. The mechanics have not changed much but Vet still affects accuracy, morale and critical hit chance mostly.

PS. also check here lots of info http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =153388204

Radioshow
Second-Lieutenant

Postby Radioshow » Mon 20 Jan 2014 00:58

Taken form the Steam thing

Spoiler : :
Wargame takes another factor into consideration, and that is morale. Morale of units is individually tracked, and tends to go down when units take fire or are even near-missed by enemy fire. Exposure to flames, damage, or seeing friendly units die also reduces morale.

The five morale states are, in order from best to worst, Calm, Worried, Shaken, Panicked, and Rout. As morale drops, unit effectiveness goes down. Rate of fire drops and accuracy plummets. This means that units with low morale are less effective in combat. They will get off fewer shots and those shots they do get off will be unlikely to hit. This is especially crippling to guided missile units. Also, if a unit drops too low in morale, it will rout - this means it will stop responding to your orders and run off in a random direction all on its own, which is usually followed by it dying like a ♥♥♥♥♥.

Units also have veterancy levels. The levels of veterancy go from Rookie, Trained, Hardened, Veteran, and Elite. Veterancy levels are also individually tracked, and passively improve from exposure to enemy units, combat, fire, or other things. It’s important to know that veterancy is not magic. It will not magically make a tank withstand heavier impacts or shoot bigger bullets. However, it does affect all the realms of crew input. Veteran units shoot more accurately and stay cool under pressure. Very importantly, units with more experience will have higher morale in battle. They aim faster and engage targets faster. Veteran units get an accuracy bonus according to this table:

So that means an Elite unit gets a sixty percent bonus to their accuracy. That makes a unit with 10 accuracy (which is very meh) have instead 16 accuracy (which is very good). Oh, and this accuracy bonus is on top of their higher morale (which translates to lower penalties to accuracy) so you can consider it a double-bonus to accuracy. Let’s consider this tank force from earlier. For a moment, let’s forget what we’ve learned about unit balance and pretend a force of so many Abrams is acceptable.

What’s wrong with it? That’s 64 pieces of American steel right there! Isn’t it great? No. Why? Because they are all only rank-two veterancy! Those Abrams tanks are going to panic under pressure and get their asses kicked. When you’re choosing units for a deck, observe these options:

In every unit, you have the option of choosing veterancy levels. Higher levels of veterancy equals lower levels of availability. You can get eight veteran Abrams tanks per card, or sixteen trained Abrams tanks per card. Of course, if having eight tanks per card is too low for your needs, you just need to find a balance between availability and veterancy.

As in all things Wargame, you must also consider the tactical necessities involved when making this decision. Units that will certainly have to take on other units in close quarters should almost always be up-vetted at least one tier if you don’t want them to get trounced. But if unit availability is more important than unit quality in one unit’s case, take the lower veterancy. Generally, you should aim to cut it as close as possible to running out of units without actually running out of units in the normal course of things.

Some other notes on veterancy - veterancy is the hidden beauty of Category C decks. Category C decks give you an 80% bonus to unit availability, which could give you either great numbers, or superb veterancy ability while still maintaining sustainable units per card. This is why good Category C decks can mix it up with Category A decks despite having objectively inferior units. Secondly, don’t overlook a thematic deck’s XP bonus. Every deck “theme” (more on this later) gives a flat one-rank promotion to all units in a specific type. For example, the “Armored” theme gives a flat one-rank promotion to every card of tanks you get. One final thought, don’t take rookie units if you can help it. They just panic too damn easily to be of any use to you at all in a fight.
Rookie x1 (no change)
Trained x1.10
Hardened 1.26
Veteran 1.36
Elite/td]

Return to “Tips & Tutorials”