[Non-included nation] PORTUGAL

Xeno426
Carbon 13

Re: [Non-included nation] PORTUGAL

Postby Xeno426 » Mon 26 Sep 2016 18:59

CloakandDagger wrote:And you're one of the people with the shiny colored name. No wonder the game is in the state it's in.

Broth3r
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Broth3r » Mon 12 Dec 2016 16:50

I did it, Shia.

Doubled down on my efforts.The spreadsheet's up.

Broth3r
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Broth3r » Fri 6 Jan 2017 02:34

I need opinions, my friends.

The Portuguese SAMs are limited to the Crotale and the Chappy. Now, under normal circumstances, these occupy the same niche (albeit the Crotale is Cat C). However, as seen by the beta Finnish Crotale NG and well, the real functionality of the system, it could also be considered Radar - and we did have the radar vehicle.

So, with the Chappy as our designated anti-helo IR, and considering the Crotale was specifically purchased to counter fixed-wing threats, which of these would be more interesting?

A) Radar Crotale, set at, say, twin 3325 range, or
B) "anti-fixed wing mode" IR Crotale, trading 2 anti-helo increments for 2 anti-plane increments, at twin 2975 range?

Lord Helmchen
Major-General

Postby Lord Helmchen » Fri 6 Jan 2017 02:48

Broth3r wrote:I need opinions, my friends.

The Portuguese SAMs are limited to the Crotale and the Chappy. Now, under normal circumstances, these occupy the same niche (albeit the Crotale is Cat C). However, as seen by the beta Finnish Crotale NG and well, the real functionality of the system, it could also be considered Radar - and we did have the radar vehicle.

So, with the Chappy as our designated anti-helo IR, and considering the Crotale was specifically purchased to counter fixed-wing threats, which of these would be more interesting?

B) "anti-fixed wing mode" IR Crotale, trading 2 anti-helo increments for 2 anti-plane increments, at twin 2975 range?

Did Portugal use any kind of the Hawk or Rapier stationary? If so they could get these as long range AA. If not I'd go for two versions, one with radar(i.e. the Finish Crotale) and an infrared guided one(i.e. the French Crotale).

FrangibleCover
Lieutenant

Postby FrangibleCover » Fri 6 Jan 2017 03:46

Lord Helmchen wrote:
Broth3r wrote:I need opinions, my friends.

If not I'd go for two versions, one with radar(i.e. the Finish Crotale) and an infrared guided one(i.e. the French Crotale).

Agreed if you can find good names for both types. Alternatively, maybe try radar missiles and IR missiles feeding from the same ammo pool and coaxial so they can't both fire at the same time. That does open a gigantic can of Tunguska-ish worms though. If you can only get one I'd say take the radar variant and leave the Memegoslavs to the SEAD-proof ADN business.
What if Wargame stuck to timeframe?

Seryn
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby Seryn » Fri 6 Jan 2017 11:10

Demonicjapsel wrote:
[EUG]MadMat wrote:
Broth3r wrote:Image

Lovely, isn't it?

Stylish indeed.
It will be my eternal regret not to have been able to sneak it in Wargame ... :cry:

don't let your dreams be dreams :)

Let it gooo! :?

Awesomer
Master Sergeant

Postby Awesomer » Fri 6 Jan 2017 14:33

I'd pay for Portugal.... :(

antizombies_boy
Sergeant Major

Postby antizombies_boy » Fri 6 Jan 2017 20:15

Nice job with Portugal (obrigado), the recon tab looks like the best of this deck. But it has hard lacks, how to make it competitive? It will need allies (coalliation) and I would like to know who could be them.

Seryn
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby Seryn » Fri 6 Jan 2017 20:46

antizombies_boy wrote:Nice job with Portugal (obrigado), the recon tab looks like the best of this deck. But it has hard lacks, how to make it competitive? It will need allies (coalliation) and I would like to know who could be them.

Germany!

FrangibleCover
Lieutenant

Postby FrangibleCover » Fri 6 Jan 2017 21:10

antizombies_boy wrote:Nice job with Portugal (obrigado), the recon tab looks like the best of this deck. But it has hard lacks, how to make it competitive? It will need allies (coalliation) and I would like to know who could be them.

Portugal's oldest ally (indeed ANYONE's oldest continuous ally if you count England>GB>UK as continuity) is the UK, who are actually quite a good coalition partner because they provide Stormers, Marksmen and Rapiers to shore up the AA, improved infantry AT and a proper IFV, the Challenger series to cover the high-end armour, some very nice air options including SEAD, the AS-90 for the artillery deficiency and the Lynxes cover the helicopter tab roles that Portugal doesn't, albeit not very well.

For its part, Portugal serves a similar role to Commonwealth in providing the UK with ground mobility, fighting infantry and an AGM carrier that actually works in real life or in game. It's not going to be Entente level good but it'll be a perfectly serviceable coalition and leaves Spain free to chum up with Italy.

Seryn wrote:Germany!

Wat :lol:

Have you got any justification for that or do you just want Germany to be in enough coalitions that German balance changes become too difficult to see the effects of to be worth making?
What if Wargame stuck to timeframe?

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”