Armor and penetrations

User avatar
Temujin
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 326
Joined: Mon 13 Feb 2012 12:40
Contact:

Armor and penetrations

Postby Temujin » Fri 17 Mar 2017 19:24

Hi!

How is the penetration system going to work? In the wargame series, armor and penetration values had to be created under a numerical system, mostly because actual specs of the vehicles are still secret. But when it comes to WWII, every millimeter value of every armor is know, every penetration value of any shell and gun is know; so can we expect a fully realistic system? Will tanks and guns have armor and penetration values set under a metric system and be faithful to it? Or are we still getting normalized numerical values to illustrate them?

Thank you

User avatar
Grabbed_by_the_Spets
General
Posts: 6344
Joined: Fri 16 Mar 2012 11:40
Contact:

Re: Armor and penetrations

Postby Grabbed_by_the_Spets » Sat 18 Mar 2017 04:52

I'd imagine it'd be a touch more precise compared to Wargame due to actual data being commonly found, and not just estimates like most moderntanks are.
Image

User avatar
Mike
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!
Posts: 12153
Joined: Thu 20 Feb 2014 01:09
Location: Virginia, United States of America
Contact:

Re: Armor and penetrations

Postby Mike » Sat 18 Mar 2017 08:13

Well, the NDA and all means those of us who have an idea, can't tell. :P
Image
Courtesy of KattiValk

User avatar
FrangibleCover
Lieutenant
Posts: 1383
Joined: Mon 14 Nov 2016 21:34
Contact:

Re: Armor and penetrations

Postby FrangibleCover » Sat 18 Mar 2017 09:45

I'd imagine it's on an arbitrary number system like Wargame for the same reason as Wargame was: It allows fudging of handheld AT stats to make them more competitive under the justification that they can aim for weak points in the armour. This argument only gets more necessary and more true with anti-tank rifles.
[Non-included Nation] Belgium - Spreadsheet
[Non-included Nation] Hungary - Spreadsheet
[Non-included Nation] Pakistan

User avatar
Bougnas
Major-General
Posts: 3648
Joined: Sat 26 Apr 2014 18:24
Contact:

Re: Armor and penetrations

Postby Bougnas » Sat 18 Mar 2017 13:12

From what I heard SD will use a sort of dynamic pen system based on authentic values that will model ricochets.

All weapons will be able to shoot at any armor value to supress the target but they won't do any damage if they don't have the power to penetrate the armor. However once there's a penetration the vehicle will apparently be disabled.
This allows less powerful guns such as the 37mm M3 (stuart, Locust, M8 Greyhound) or the german 2.8cm squeezebore AT rifle s.Pzb 41 to take out a rather heavy vehicle with side or rearshots.
Image

User avatar
Mike
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!
Posts: 12153
Joined: Thu 20 Feb 2014 01:09
Location: Virginia, United States of America
Contact:

Re: Armor and penetrations

Postby Mike » Sun 19 Mar 2017 22:29

FrangibleCover wrote:I'd imagine it's on an arbitrary number system like Wargame for the same reason as Wargame was: It allows fudging of handheld AT stats to make them more competitive under the justification that they can aim for weak points in the armour. This argument only gets more necessary and more true with anti-tank rifles.


The AP bonus to handheld AT is to represent targeting weak spots in the tank's armor. I think.
Image
Courtesy of KattiValk

User avatar
FrangibleCover
Lieutenant
Posts: 1383
Joined: Mon 14 Nov 2016 21:34
Contact:

Re: Armor and penetrations

Postby FrangibleCover » Mon 20 Mar 2017 00:30

Mike wrote:
FrangibleCover wrote:under the justification that they can aim for weak points in the armour.

The AP bonus to handheld AT is to represent targeting weak spots in the tank's armor. I think.

It's been a long day for me too. Anyway, that's what I remember being said about it and because it doesn't relate at all to the work I have to hand in on Tuesday I can remember it pretty perfectly :D .


:cry:
[Non-included Nation] Belgium - Spreadsheet
[Non-included Nation] Hungary - Spreadsheet
[Non-included Nation] Pakistan

User avatar
Mike
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!
Posts: 12153
Joined: Thu 20 Feb 2014 01:09
Location: Virginia, United States of America
Contact:

Re: Armor and penetrations

Postby Mike » Mon 20 Mar 2017 06:13

FrangibleCover wrote:
Mike wrote:
FrangibleCover wrote:under the justification that they can aim for weak points in the armour.

The AP bonus to handheld AT is to represent targeting weak spots in the tank's armor. I think.

It's been a long day for me too. Anyway, that's what I remember being said about it and because it doesn't relate at all to the work I have to hand in on Tuesday I can remember it pretty perfectly :D .


:cry:


Long day? I'm still going into the night! :lol: :(
Image
Courtesy of KattiValk

Object199
Warrant Officer
Posts: 425
Joined: Thu 7 Aug 2014 21:12
Contact:

Re: Armor and penetrations

Postby Object199 » Mon 20 Mar 2017 23:49

Mike wrote:Well, the NDA and all means those of us who have an idea, can't tell. :P


Just wait for the gameplay stream on wednesday, then can you claim to have stopped the stream to check every frame a thousand times to get every single AP, AV and range value, instead of "leaking" them. :lol:

Edit: https://twitter.com/SteelDivGame/status ... 9515206659
Image

User avatar
Mike
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!
Posts: 12153
Joined: Thu 20 Feb 2014 01:09
Location: Virginia, United States of America
Contact:

Re: Armor and penetrations

Postby Mike » Tue 21 Mar 2017 17:45

Object199 wrote:
Mike wrote:Well, the NDA and all means those of us who have an idea, can't tell. :P


Just wait for the gameplay stream on wednesday, then can you claim to have stopped the stream to check every frame a thousand times to get every single AP, AV and range value, instead of "leaking" them. :lol:

Edit: https://twitter.com/SteelDivGame/status ... 9515206659


You won't have to try that hard.
Image
Courtesy of KattiValk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests