Armor and penetrations

Temujin
Command Sergeant Major

Armor and penetrations

Postby Temujin » Fri 17 Mar 2017 19:24

Hi!

How is the penetration system going to work? In the wargame series, armor and penetration values had to be created under a numerical system, mostly because actual specs of the vehicles are still secret. But when it comes to WWII, every millimeter value of every armor is know, every penetration value of any shell and gun is know; so can we expect a fully realistic system? Will tanks and guns have armor and penetration values set under a metric system and be faithful to it? Or are we still getting normalized numerical values to illustrate them?

Thank you

Grabbed_by_the_Spets
General

Re: Armor and penetrations

Postby Grabbed_by_the_Spets » Sat 18 Mar 2017 04:52

I'd imagine it'd be a touch more precise compared to Wargame due to actual data being commonly found, and not just estimates like most moderntanks are.

Mike
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Mike » Sat 18 Mar 2017 08:13

Well, the NDA and all means those of us who have an idea, can't tell. :P
Courtesy of KattiValk

FrangibleCover
Lieutenant

Postby FrangibleCover » Sat 18 Mar 2017 09:45

I'd imagine it's on an arbitrary number system like Wargame for the same reason as Wargame was: It allows fudging of handheld AT stats to make them more competitive under the justification that they can aim for weak points in the armour. This argument only gets more necessary and more true with anti-tank rifles.
[Non-included Nation] Belgium - Spreadsheet
[Non-included Nation] Hungary - Spreadsheet
[Non-included Nation] Pakistan

Bougnas
Major-General

Postby Bougnas » Sat 18 Mar 2017 13:12

From what I heard SD will use a sort of dynamic pen system based on authentic values that will model ricochets.

All weapons will be able to shoot at any armor value to supress the target but they won't do any damage if they don't have the power to penetrate the armor. However once there's a penetration the vehicle will apparently be disabled.
This allows less powerful guns such as the 37mm M3 (stuart, Locust, M8 Greyhound) or the german 2.8cm squeezebore AT rifle s.Pzb 41 to take out a rather heavy vehicle with side or rearshots.

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun 19 Mar 2017 22:29

FrangibleCover wrote:I'd imagine it's on an arbitrary number system like Wargame for the same reason as Wargame was: It allows fudging of handheld AT stats to make them more competitive under the justification that they can aim for weak points in the armour. This argument only gets more necessary and more true with anti-tank rifles.

The AP bonus to handheld AT is to represent targeting weak spots in the tank's armor. I think.
Courtesy of KattiValk

FrangibleCover
Lieutenant

Postby FrangibleCover » Mon 20 Mar 2017 00:30

Mike wrote:
FrangibleCover wrote:under the justification that they can aim for weak points in the armour.

The AP bonus to handheld AT is to represent targeting weak spots in the tank's armor. I think.

It's been a long day for me too. Anyway, that's what I remember being said about it and because it doesn't relate at all to the work I have to hand in on Tuesday I can remember it pretty perfectly :D .

:cry:
[Non-included Nation] Belgium - Spreadsheet
[Non-included Nation] Hungary - Spreadsheet
[Non-included Nation] Pakistan

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon 20 Mar 2017 06:13

FrangibleCover wrote:
Mike wrote:
FrangibleCover wrote:under the justification that they can aim for weak points in the armour.

It's been a long day for me too. Anyway, that's what I remember being said about it and because it doesn't relate at all to the work I have to hand in on Tuesday I can remember it pretty perfectly :D .

:cry:

Long day? I'm still going into the night! :lol: :(
Courtesy of KattiValk

Object199
Warrant Officer

Postby Object199 » Mon 20 Mar 2017 23:49

Mike wrote:Well, the NDA and all means those of us who have an idea, can't tell. :P

Just wait for the gameplay stream on wednesday, then can you claim to have stopped the stream to check every frame a thousand times to get every single AP, AV and range value, instead of "leaking" them. :lol:

Edit: https://twitter.com/SteelDivGame/status ... 9515206659

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue 21 Mar 2017 17:45

Object199 wrote:
Mike wrote:Well, the NDA and all means those of us who have an idea, can't tell. :P

Just wait for the gameplay stream on wednesday, then can you claim to have stopped the stream to check every frame a thousand times to get every single AP, AV and range value, instead of "leaking" them. :lol:

Edit: https://twitter.com/SteelDivGame/status ... 9515206659

You won't have to try that hard.
Courtesy of KattiValk